Profile for Janrae Frank > Reviews

Content by Janrae Frank

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Janrae Frank "Dark Fantasy Author" (Fitchburg, ma United States)

Bear Like Me
Bear Like Me
by Jonathan Cohen
12 used & new from CDN$ 2.26

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Bear!, April 15 2004
This review is from: Bear Like Me (Paperback)
My son and I adore this book, sharp, witty and hilarious by turns. I believe that it should appeal to a far wider audience than just the Bear community.

Voice of the Blood
Voice of the Blood
by Jemiah Jefferson
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Shallow, uninteresting, Feb. 25 2004
I thought the characterizations were for the most part unfocussed and uninteresting. I had read the reviews and expected a seriously graphic and horrifying read that would satisfy an afficiando of the genre and found that I was dissatisfied in all respects. While yes, there was sex aplenty there really was not much else. The horrifying stuff was usually shown in a few lines of dialog tossed off by the characters. I reccomend if you want serious vamp fiction you try Lumley, Taylor, and Hamilton.

Fangs and Angel Wings
Fangs and Angel Wings
by Karen E. Taylor
4 used & new from CDN$ 2.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Sultry haunting horror, Nov. 18 2003
This review is from: Fangs and Angel Wings (Hardcover)
Karen E. Taylor is one of my favorite authors. This collection runs the gamut from vampires to ghosts and other restless spirits. The subtly nuanced tales are to be savored. My personal favorites in the collection are Mexican Moon and Blood of the Rose. In my opinion, this is a must have book for affianadoes of the genre. Sultry, Haunting and horrific.

History of Punishment & Torture: A Journey Through the Dark Side of Justice
History of Punishment & Torture: A Journey Through the Dark Side of Justice
by Karen Farrington
14 used & new from CDN$ 5.74

4.0 out of 5 stars broad and shallow, June 10 2003
The book is both broad, covering a lot of ground, but intensely shallow. The pictures are almost worth the price of admission, but the details are seriously lacking. Reads like a Time/Life book which tantalizes but does not produce anything. I bought it as research for a novel in progress and was very dissatisfied.

Blood Secrets
Blood Secrets
by Karen Taylor
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the genre, May 11 2003
All of Karen E. Taylor's vampire legacy series are remarkable. As an avid fan of the genre I've read them all from Le Fanu, Polidory and Stoker to Taylor and Hamilton. But Taylor is my favorite and this is the place to start.

Vampire Vivienne
Vampire Vivienne
by Karen Taylor
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fluff with a Bite, April 10 2003
Of all the Vampire Legacy books, The Vampire Vivienne, is the lightest. However, I see that as staying within the viewpoint of the character. Vivienne is fluffy (vampire in pink Angora because it looks good on her), sensual, and when forced sharp-tongued and savage. A wonderful read. Taylor has a keen sense of place, character and language as well as fully formed complexity of what is required for a vampire to survive among mere humans.