Profile for J L > Reviews

Content by J L

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

J L (Fullerton, CA United States)

Oliver's Story
Oliver's Story
by Erich Segal
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.02
84 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Oliver's Story, June 21 2003
I bought this book because I am a big fan of the Love Story. However, I was quite disappointed after reading the book. Oliver started another relationship with Marcie two years after Jenny¡s death. That was too soon. If you ever truly love someone in your life, two years only means 5 minutes. I was glad to see Oliver and his father made peace with each other. The last few pages of the book make it well worth reading. You can skip some paragraphs in some chapters, but you have to read it over and over again in the last few pages. It were very well written.
Another things draw my interest to read this book were the economic development and comparative advantages between the US and Asia thirty years ago. (I majored International Econ in grad school.) The sweatshop conditions are common in developing economies. A lot of labor-intensive industries were forced to shut down in the last two decades and moved to Asia. This book was more focus on one side of the story. A lot of jobs moved to Asia because the US was moving from one advantage to another advantage. From labor-intensive products to technology-driven merchandises. When you look at those hi-tech companies in Silicon Valley, you know what I mean.
The major reason makes me interest in this book was my Dad. The movie "Love Story"

Love Story (Widescreen) [Import]
Love Story (Widescreen) [Import]
DVD ~ Ali MacGraw
Price: CDN$ 10.43
23 used & new from CDN$ 1.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Something You Should Spend Some Time On It., June 21 2003
The major reason makes me interest in this book and DVD was my Dad. This movie
was shot before I was born. When I was a little girl, I saw Dad watching this movie every time when it was shown on TV. My Dad is kinds of the action movie type. I was surprised why he loved watching this movie. So, when I was in the video store one day, I decided to rent the DVD to see what made my Dad to watch a love drama. Just like my father. I am totally devoted to the movie. I bought both "Oliver's Story" and "Love Story" and finished reading in one afternoon. For me, I like the Love Story more than Oliver's Story. The 3/4 part of the Love Story was a pleasant story. Both of them loved each other very much and would like to sacrifice for each other. For Oliver's story, it's all sad and how Oliver couldn't forget Jenny. Love Story is very well written. I highly recommend you to read it.