Profile for Heather Lowe > Reviews

Content by Heather Lowe

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Heather Lowe "hslowe" (Corning NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Monsoon Wedding
Monsoon Wedding
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 33.96
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Some seriously danceable tracks on this one, March 16 2004
This review is from: Monsoon Wedding (Audio CD)
I liked the movie, but I LOVE the CD. It has it all--spirited, catchy tunes that make you want to get up and MOVE; slower, more romantic songs, and exotic, cutting-edge stuff you wouldn't hear anywhere else.
This soundtrack is incredibly infectious. It will put you in a party mood every time you listen.

Travelers' Tales Nepal: True Stories of Life on the Road
Travelers' Tales Nepal: True Stories of Life on the Road
by Rajendra S. Khadka
14 used & new from CDN$ 21.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for anyone interested in Nepal, March 12 2004
This collection of essays and excerpts about Nepal and her people greatly exceeded my expecations. The editor displayed refreshingly high standards when it came to picking which authors to include. The writing is of high quality, and the vast range of works included gives you an thorough, unvarnished look at all aspects of life and travel in Nepal. Taken together the entries accomplish the difficult task of helping the visitor-to--be know what it will FEEL like to be there.
You just don't get this kind of stuff out of guidebooks.
The book has enhanced my trip preparations and brought my excitement about going to Nepal to a fever pitch. I highly recommend this to anyone about to make a similar journey.
I hope to find more books in this series available for all the other countries on my travel wish list.

Scotland
Scotland
by Colin Baxter
17 used & new from CDN$ 34.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous and evocative, March 8 2004
This review is from: Scotland (Hardcover)
If you have fallen in love with the inexpressible beauty of Scotland and are looking for a memento that can quickly and consistently take you back, this is your book.
I own many photo collections on Scotland and this is probably my favorite. Baxter's photographs capture what the country looks like, but more than that, they capture what it feels like. They're works of art.
Keep this one on your coffee table--you'll want to look at it often.

Chechnya Diary: A War Correspondent's Story of Surviving the War in Chechnya
Chechnya Diary: A War Correspondent's Story of Surviving the War in Chechnya
by Thomas Goltz
17 used & new from CDN$ 16.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portal into a hellish conflict--and more, Feb. 18 2004
Chechnya Diary isn't your typical book about war. For one thing, it reads more like an adventure or a novel than straight history. It's also much more philosophical than I would have expected. The book begins with the quote, "The observer affects the observed," and boy is that statement ever borne out as the story unfolds.
Author Thomas Goltz sneaks into the country to cover the war, and ends up in a small town called Samashki, where he depends on the hospitality of a man named Hussein. Ostensibly there to record the fighting, Goltz soon becomes intimately involved, raising many tough questions about journalistic ethics and the effects of media war coverage.
The book really picks up steam in the second half, as Goltz returns to Chechnya to discover the damage his participation has caused, and tries to rectify it.
It's a thought-provoking book that provides background on the Chechnyan war but also goes far beyond that to dwell on how our shallow media culture affects our understanding of world events (and beyond that, how media coverage actually determines the course of those events as they play out). Goltz is a likable narrator who doesn't shy away from implicating himself when it comes to the sticky moral questions. He brings to life real Chechnyans in such vivid fashion that you'll remember them every time you hear about Chechnya in the news.
I had tears in my eyes as I finished the book. Highly recommended.

The Violet Shyness of Their Eyes: Notes from Nepal
The Violet Shyness of Their Eyes: Notes from Nepal
by Barbara J. Scot
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Poignant images and no rose-colored glasses, Jan. 15 2004
I was really surprised by the quality of this book. Many people who have lived or worked abroad try to write about their experiences, but few actually have the talent to create something worthwhile and lasting. Barbara Scot, however, has managed to capture some moments of incredible poignancy and beauty. A few passages even approach the level of poetry.
The book is a bit uneven in places, but nevertheless I consider it an excellent effort for a first-time author. You come away with a deep respect for both Nepal and her people, and for Barbara, who as an adventurous woman in her late 40s, will be a an inspiration for many. She's the kind of woman you'd like to know.
On another note--When I saw this book came from a feminist publishing house I was afraid I might be subjected to preachy diatribes about the evils patriarchy, but mercifully that was not the case. Scot does have a special concern for the women of Nepal, but she doesn't preach about it. In fact a sense of evenhandedness is one of the many virtues of the book. She poses many good questions without claiming to have the answers.

The House on Garibaldi Street: The First Full Account of the Capture of Adolf Eichmann
by Isser Harel
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars You can't put it down., Nov. 30 2003
This is the fascinating true story of how the Israeli security forces carefully plotted to track down, capture, and return Adolf Eichmann to Israel for trial. It reads like the very best spy fiction, but it's doubly engrossing because it all really happened. You come away with deep appreciation and admiration for the brilliant minds working in the Mossad, as well as with a sense of the banality of evil (Eichmann is a piteous figure). This isn't classic literature or anything, but it is extremely well done and utterly entertaining. Highly recommended!

Hedwig and the Angry Inch [EXPLICIT LYRICS] [SOUNDTRACK]
Hedwig and the Angry Inch [EXPLICIT LYRICS] [SOUNDTRACK]
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 59.71
10 used & new from CDN$ 44.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn, this is good., Sept. 15 2003
No throwaway tracks on this album--it's all good, baby. The movie was excellent and the soundtrack is too. Stow this one in your car because you'll want to listen to it all the time. From punk rock classics to slow, sad ballads, the Hedwig soundtrack is a masterpiece of modern music.

Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel
Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel
by Rolf Potts
Price: CDN$ 13.68
27 used & new from CDN$ 7.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, June 23 2003
The hardest part of world travel is acquiring the mindset that nothing else matters as much as the journey. Getting to a place where you reduce your consumption of unnecessary stuff, commit your time, and leave your daily routine behind takes a fair amount of work, and it also takes a major shift in priorities. Vagabonding serves as the kick-start that gets you to that mental place --the "I can do it, and I can do it soon" reply to the siren call of world travel.
This book is inspiring, clear, and helpful. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to roam, but thinks they don't have enough money or time. I also recommend it for those, like me, who have gone vagabonding before, know what it takes, and just need a nudge of renewal in order to get back out there again. Great book!

A Long Walk on the Isle of Skye
A Long Walk on the Isle of Skye
by David Paterson
8 used & new from CDN$ 46.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, May 12 2003
A lot of photography books are poorly written, but not so this one. Paterson's prose is up to par with his images, which are absolutely gorgeous. Seeing Skye in all four seasons through Paterson's photographs helped me get a much better sense of this wonderful island (I've only visited once). I'm desperate to return--and I'll definitely take this book with me when I do. The routes seem well-planned and thoroughly researched.

Walking Home: A Woman's Pilgrimage on the Appalachian Trail
Walking Home: A Woman's Pilgrimage on the Appalachian Trail
by Kelly Winters
16 used & new from CDN$ 12.50

4.0 out of 5 stars A terrific book, Sept. 23 2002
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did, since many adventure travel stories are strong on content but weak on execution. I was pleasantly surpised, then, to find that Kelly Winters can really write. Walking Home was so engrossing that I couldn't put it down. I read it in one sitting.
I'm not a hiker myself, just someone enthralled by the idea of undertaking a physical and mental challenge like the AT. I've read a lot of the Trail books and to me this is the best all-around entry. It has all the color and detail that makes you feel like you're there but it also places the quest in a bigger, more meaningful context. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6