Profile for Matt Helm > Reviews

Content by Matt Helm

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Matt Helm (Arizona)

Avalon Tarot
Avalon Tarot
by Lo Scarabeo
Price: CDN$ 21.20
7 used & new from CDN$ 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Deck But Could Be Better, May 13 2004
This review is from: Avalon Tarot (Cards)
This is another deck I ordered when it first came out. Like many decks I purchase, I was drawn to the artwork. In this area, the deck does not disappoint. The cards have wonderful color and are lavishly illustrated but not to the point of being too much. They remind me quite a bit of upscale comic book art. This is what I like to call a unisex deck; one that would appeal to either gender.
The cards themselves are slightly firm and laminated a bit too lightly for my taste. I don't think they could handle any moisture, like from a client who has sweaty palms for example. This reason alone is why I won't read with it and personally consider it to be a collectable deck only (You may feel differently if you decide to purchase it). The edges feel rather rough to the touch and this combination makes for very poor shuffling quality and handling. This is why I only gave it 3 stars.
The cards come with a little fold out flyer like most Lo Scarabeo decks do. It goes into a little more detail in the divinatory meanings than some of the other decks I have by them but not by much. I do think it is enough for a beginner to go on, unlike the Celtic Tarots I reviewed earlier. This is another deck that really needs a good thorough book to go with it to give the buyer a better idea of the symbology plus deeper divinatory meanings.
All in all, this is a nice deck to have especially if you're into the King Arthur legend.

Celtic Tarot
Celtic Tarot
by Lo Scarabeo
Price: CDN$ 16.70
19 used & new from CDN$ 16.67

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Nicely Done Deck, May 13 2004
This review is from: Celtic Tarot (Cards)
I ordered this when it first came out and have used it off and on since. This deck does not come with an accompanying book, just a small fold out flyer. This is the reason why I couldn't give it a 5 star rating. A deck like this really does need a thorough book to go with it. The flyer doesn't due the deck justice by not going into much detail in the divinatory meanings, just a word or two, so I think this would be very confusing for someone new to tarot. I'm a professional tarot reader by trade and I would've enjoyed reading more about the symbolism used in the cards.
The cards are slightly firm and have a nice slick lamination which makes them easy to shuffle. The artwork is amazing and this alone makes this deck worth purchasing. The colors used are bold and tend to sway toward the darker end of the color spectrum which I think gives it a more masculine feel than most decks I've seen. Don't get me wrong, I think the ladies will like it too, but men won't be turned off by it since it's definitely not a frilly deck.
While the Celtic Tarots is very pleasing to the eye, it is still a deck of substance. You can tell how much thought went into all of the designs just by looking at each card. Every single one has a distinct story to tell if you open yourself up to them. Overall, I think this is a good deck to have, especially if you love anything Celtic.

The Celtic Dragon Tarot Kit
The Celtic Dragon Tarot Kit
by D.J. Conway
Price: CDN$ 29.93
7 used & new from CDN$ 29.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Like A Best Friend, May 11 2004
I love dragons so this was like meeting up with a best friend I hadn't seen in ages. When I opened the package, my eyes were filled with soft, yet very evocative images. While I may call them soft, they are definitely not too feminine so men shouldn't be turned off by this deck.
The deck itself felt really good in my hands. You can tell this was a labor of love. The cards were slightly firm, yet easy to shuffle. The lamination is just right. The artwork on the cards is absolutely beautiful but this is so much more than just another one of those 'pretty' decks that are all flash yet have no substance. These cards are filled with haunting stories all their own and you don't necessarily need to read the companion book to get caught up in the tales. Lisa Hunt is a wonderful artist and her knowledge of dragons and tarot really shines through here.
The book is filled with useful information on interpretation and there are some spreads to help you get started. In addition to this, there are even dragon spells, meditations, and a small section on candle colors, their uses, and stone powers is also included. The author, D. J. Conway weaves each of the cards into a very informative, yet not overdone explanation of the symbolism, and then gives a brief, but well thought out divinatory meaning. The only drawback I've found is that the book does not include a reversal section with the divinatory meanings. It's only a minor flaw though.
I have used this deck since it first came out and let me tell you, it's stood the test of time, unlike certain other decks where the lamination begins to peel or wear off almost immediately. I've found the Celtic Dragon Tarot to be an excellent tool for meditation as well as reading. I always have this deck on hand for my fellow dragon fan clients. I highly recommend this deck to anyone from novice to expert and of course, to any dragon fan.