Profile for Laura Gougeon > Reviews

Content by Laura Gougeon

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Laura Gougeon "Laura" (Montreal, QC)

Your Amazing Newborn
Your Amazing Newborn
by Marshall H. Klaus
Price: CDN$ 17.33
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.38

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but money can be invested in other books, April 15 2011
This review is from: Your Amazing Newborn (Paperback)
The book is quite interesting, but for the price, I truly think there are more informative books out there. Klaus' book has a chapter dedicated to each sense (vision, hearing, tasting, touch) and a couple more on abilities right after birth. The book focuses on telling you how smart your baby are and the amazing things he is capable of at the time he is born. To that end, it (briefly) describes the studies conducted to discover that newborns have such impressive abilities. I read the books in just a few days, and later on I found the same "bottom-line" information in the other book I'm reading, the America Academy of Pediatrics's "Your baby's first year", including a very interesting information about the baby's states of alertness (active/quite alert, drowsiness, active/quite sleep, crying). So I thought I had wasted money, since the later costs much less. The pictures in Klaus' book are very nice, though.

Your Baby's First Year: Third Edition
Your Baby's First Year: Third Edition
by American Academy Of Pediatrics
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.49
119 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide for first time parents, April 15 2011
I bought this book when we found out we were pregnant. This would be our first baby, so I needed something that I could rely on to take good care of him/her. Being edited by the American Academy of Pediatrics, it seemed a trustworthy source. In fact, I found it to be a great book and very easy to read! It tells you about taking care of your baby in the first year (feeding, diapers, sleep, clothing...), hie/her development (what to expect in each month in regards to, e.g., sleeping or motor reflexes), helping him/her grow healthily (common health problems, signs to watch for, etc), and stimulating his/her learning (appropriate toys, learning abilities, etc). It also has several chapters on ailments, general care if your baby gets sick and when to take him/her to the pediatrician. This is an extremely informative book if you are looking for a practical guide to help you take care of your baby. It won't talk about pregnancy, or tell stories... I didn't put it in practice yet, but it makes me feel more confident as a new parent. Even if you don't plan to read it from cover to back (like I am doing), I'm positive it can be a useful resource to consult from times to times, particularly if you are new to parenthood and has no family member around you.

Dietary Reference Intakes: the Essential Guide to Nutrient Requirements
Dietary Reference Intakes: the Essential Guide to Nutrient Requirements
by Jennifer J. Otten
12 used & new from CDN$ 6.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, Feb. 27 2010
What can I say...? It is an essential book for ANYONE working in the field of human nutrition and dietetics, either in clinics with individuals or in the community with programs for groups or in academia.
This books summarizes all the nutrient recommendations for all age groups and the basis for the recommendations.

Health Sciences Literature Review Made Easy: The Matrix Method
Health Sciences Literature Review Made Easy: The Matrix Method
by Judith Garrard
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you are lost in starting your review and in organizing your material, Feb. 27 2010
I acquired this book a couple of years ago when I was in the middle of my master's degree. It was the first time I would have to review a great deal of the literature and was feeling a bit lost in the task. My supervisor wasn't that much helpful on this matter. So I first borrowed Garrard's book from the library but enjoyed it so much that I decided to buy it--I was sure I would use it again.

It really helped me to start off the research of relevant literature, organize the material I was getting (what the author calls "Lit Review Books"), and reach the bottom line of all those readings (using the "matrix method"). I was impressed with myself, really!

And because the book is directed to the health science, it gives you tips of good databases, citation softwares (and how to keep track of what you already have), interpreting the articles, etc.

It is easy to read, with big fonts, and has a little "story" of Caroline's Quest illustrating each step of the process, which really helps you to visualize it.

Overall, if you are feeling like I was--a bit lost--get this book (or check it in your library first). It may help you move forward. :)

Intuitive Biostatistics, First Edition
Intuitive Biostatistics, First Edition
by Harvey Motulsky
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps you build a strong foundation, Feb. 27 2010
I'm doing my PhD and needed something to strengthen my basic biostatistics for the comprehensive exams and for my career (of course). I purchased this book because of the great reviews it has.

The strength:
It indeed deserves the five stars IF you are looking for a book to help you lay down a good stats foundation. Its main strengths are the explanation of the very basic concepts such as confidence intervals, P values, standard deviation, survival curves, relative risk, (a little of) odds ratio, clinical/screening tests, etc. To be honest, I only began to really understand and differentiate all these concepts after reading this book. It is very clear, easy to understand, and very repetitive (in a good way). Now I feel so more confident in interpreting research papers (with all those overwhelming P values) and stats outputs.

The weakness:
Motulsky spends a great deal of chapters explaining the basics I mentioned earlier. Therefore, if what you need is something on statistic tests such as ANOVA, MANOVA, regression, etc., this book wouldn't deserve five stars for you. Although it does try to explain how to interpret the output, the F value and alike, it is very, very superficial. In this case you would better off getting a more advanced statistics book.

But it definitely fitted my needs, so it does deserve five stars to me.

Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism
Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism
by Sareen S. Gropper
Price: CDN$ 293.12
13 used & new from CDN$ 99.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the biochemistry of nutrition, Feb. 27 2010
I bought this book mainly for my PhD comprehensive exams in Nutrition. My department is pretty demanding and they ask you a lot of questions regarding biochemistry. Several friends of mine recommended this book. And it was indeed a great acquisition! One of the best purchases I've made so far! I'm sure it will be useful not only for the comps, but also to my research/teaching career.

It is very comprehensive on metabolism of all nutrients, explaining about reactions, cycles, carriers, properties, functions, etc. It is not coloured, but the use of red helps to contrast especial aspects of figures and tables, in which, BTW, it is very rich. It has also several short texts at the end of each chapter called "Perspective" that addresses different diseases, current topics, etc.

In my opinion, if you want to deepen your knowledge on metabolism and on biochemistry of nutrition, this is the book you need. Be you a researcher, a professor, or a clinician, Advanced Nutrition will be a great addition to your "essential nutrition knowledge."

English Pronunciation Made Simple (with 2 Audio CDs) (2nd Edition)
English Pronunciation Made Simple (with 2 Audio CDs) (2nd Edition)
by Paulette Dale
Price: CDN$ 40.60
29 used & new from CDN$ 23.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for classes, not for self-studying, May 9 2008
I am an ESL student pursuing a master's degree. My language background is Portuguese, which is somewhat closer to English than other Oriental languages. Though it seemed that people did not have problems in understanding me -- I do have an accent but it is not as strong as others I've listened to -- I decided to take Pronunciation Classes at the University's Language Centre. In this course we use this book by Dale & Poms, so I am pretty familiar with it.

I gave it 3 starts because it seems designed only for use with a tutor who has the teacher's CDs. The student's book comes with just two CDs that contain ONLY the exercises (called "check yourself"), which are two to three per chapter. It's not enough for me. It is very good while I am taking the course, but I feel it will be almost useless without the teacher's CDs after the course is done.
The teacher has more information from the book than the students! This just does not make sense at all!

If you are thinking in buying a book on pronunciation for self-studying, I would not recommend this book.

Furthermore, it is better for individual sounds. If you want to focus more on rhythm and intonation, its chapters on these matters are quite short and lack details.

It is an average book. But for its price, you could definitely acquire something better.