Profile for Raymond Ko > Reviews

Content by Raymond Ko

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Raymond Ko

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
25 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Series, July 29 2007
Several surprising turns in the plot made this seventh installment the most enjoyable for myself. It is amazing that Rowling unfolds so much of the story and ties all the loose ends together. After reading Deathly Hallows, all the other books seemed to link together more smoothly and all the magical aspects that seemed to have loopholes in them we taken care of.

The novel definately has the most action of all of them with characters perishing left, right and centre. The non-stop action definately made the novel that much more enjoyable and was much needed. Many readers of the series predicted the outcome of Harry and it was with the action that Rowling engaged the reader until the end, while she filled in the missing pieces to the rest of the story.

Beautifully written as usual and all the emotions were exemplified: joy, loss, triumph, grief, and victory. The most important aspect of the story is the message it portrays to young readers and adults alike, and as Shakespeare has written..."be true to yourself!"

Kingdom Of The Golden Dragon
Kingdom Of The Golden Dragon
by Isabel Allende
Price: CDN$ 12.63
50 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning adventure, July 22 2007
Allende does it again. Even in the English translation, Kingdom of the Golden Dragon captivates its audience with the beautiful imagery and scenery that is decribed succinctly. The adventure is intense, following the journey of old friends, Nadia and Alex, in their spiritual journey through the Himalayas.

Alex and Nadia seem to get themselves out of a lot of trouble simply through luck and magic, which may take away from the appeal of the novel. However, for me, it was the whole spirituality that Allende brings into the novel that makes it worthy of reading. Finding one's true self...definately a strong message that all youth today should learn.

City Of The Beasts
City Of The Beasts
by Isabel Allende
Price: CDN$ 9.49
84 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical!, July 20 2007
This review is from: City Of The Beasts (Paperback)
I read this novel as my friend and I toured Central America. The setting and the landscapes were very comparable and definately added to the novel. The supernatural and magical nature that Allende portrays is unique and really brings out the culture of the Amazonian Indigenous peoples as compared to North Americans...love of the land, cherish what Mother Nature has given us. The whole idea that these natives have never been into contact with other human beings also gave the novel an eerie mysteriousness that captivates the imagination of its audience. Alex and Nadia definately come to life even in the English translation, which I found awkward at some moments, but don't let it bother you as the scenery and imagery are stellar.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6)
63 used & new from CDN$ 4.11

3.0 out of 5 stars Grippin', July 20 2007
JK Rowling's 6th book has sat on my desk for over two years. I bought it the day it came out in 2005 and tried reading the first chapter, but it never caught my attention. Now, July 2007, Harry Potter craze again, I attempted a second time. Again, the first chapter was unappealing, but I forced myself to get past it. As the plot thickens, I could no longer hold the book down. However, I definately found it to be a let down that Rowling exposed so much in chapter 2 about Snape and Bellatrix. It did set the tone for the book, but it also made it terribly predictable. Good thing for her wonderful narrative to keep me interested and the continual trips into the penseive. The unfortunate ending was a little too predictable for me, otherwise well written as usual!

I had hoped the 6th book would close several doors, but it only opened the plot up for new ideas and hopefully a spectacular end to the series.

Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing
by Anita Brookner
Price: CDN$ 19.00
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly well written, July 20 2007
This review is from: Next Big Thing (Paperback)
This is my first novel by Anita Brookner. The writing in this novel is spectacular; I have never read anything more captivating and although the sentences seem long and careless, they flowed with impeccable style. Herz can be seen as the tragic hero who's last year of life is documented in great detail. At first, it seemed the detail was overwhelming, but Brookner does this deliberately to juxtapose and forshadow events.

The reality that the novel portrays is awe-inspiring. As the reader, I could sympathize and empathize with Herz and feel the pain he was going through in order to survive in the modern world. The novel really shone light on issues of seniors trying to cope with the technological advance of our modern world and the difficulty they have with this transition.

The novel is beautifully written and it is definately one for more mature readers.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Children's Paperback Edition