Profile for breaker902 > Reviews

Content by breaker902

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

breaker902

Professional Active Server Pages 3.0
Professional Active Server Pages 3.0
by Brian Francis
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.78

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST book for classical ASP, April 22 2003
Obsolete??? Hardly. As I write this review, new Web page technologies are being matured: jsp, php, chm (yech). New models are being matured: Servlets, STRUTS, .NET. Classical ASP 3.0 is still quick, fast and necessary for small to medium businesses, even enterprise-level webpages. There's no better book to learn all the standards, applications, basics, and advanced capabilities of ASP than THIS book.
I love Wrox. I started with their Beginning ASP 2.0 book (how I learned). This book, a bit more advanced but in the beginning level, is still all you need to get things going from single tiered applications to multi-tiered, database driven apps. It goes into COM objects and other MS Services like Index. Really a one-stop book.
With this book and Google you have all the reference you need.
Note: ASP 3.0 is in no way, shape, or form similar to ASP.net.
A small, tiny complaint about this book is that it can be a bit wordy...just a tad. And the index in the back could use a bit more improvement. The info's still in there.

The Simpsons: The Complete Second Season
The Simpsons: The Complete Second Season
DVD ~ Dan Castellaneta
Offered by The Digital Vault
Price: CDN$ 46.77
19 used & new from CDN$ 9.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest season, but still good..., April 22 2003
I love the Simpsons. But buying it on DVD (at least in my case) is intended for habitual watching. Season 2 doesn't warrant such a purchase for you broke folks. Althought it's a great season to watch the FIRST time, I'd recomment SEASON 3 (coming out soon) if you want to spend your $$$ on a DVD set.
If you have the money wanna collect to collect DVDs, by all means put this in your cart...I did. =) But if you wanna put your complete savings of $35 into a good Simpsons set, get season 3.
Heck, Conan O'Brien started working on the Simpsons in season 3!

Arabic (Egyptian), Q&S: Learn to Speak and Understand Egyptian Arabic with Pimsleur Language Programs
by Pimsleur
Edition: Audio CD
Price: CDN$ 18.24
23 used & new from CDN$ 11.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all -- It is simple and quick, April 22 2003
I really like the pimsleur approach to learning: they repeat things at the right time. Kinda weird, they say thing backwards so you learn it better -- and it works. Some method they patened.
I'm not too familiar with Arabic at all and this CD set (4 of them) helped me with a decent pronounciation basis, basic vocab, yadda yadda....
Also keep in mind that I've never bought Pimsleur's $300 dollar learning lessons (or whatever high price they charge) so I can't compare it to those.
Definetly worth the $15 I payed.