ARRAY(0xf160bf4)

Profile for gailp > Reviews

Content by gailp

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

gailp (Toronto, Ontario Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
BURN (Ignite)
BURN (Ignite)
Price: CDN$ 1.10

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Sequel, March 21 2014
This review is from: BURN (Ignite) (Kindle Edition)
I loved the first book but the story takes a weird turn. The characters self sabotage one too many times and Remy is creepy. Sarah also turns from a self aware woman into a wishy washy mess and it's boring to read. The biker culture is interesting but that's the best I can say about this book.

Gone Girl: A Novel
Gone Girl: A Novel
by Gillian Flynn
Price: CDN$ 14.97
67 used & new from CDN$ 6.40

2.0 out of 5 stars Will this book ever end?, Oct. 23 2012
This review is from: Gone Girl: A Novel (Hardcover)
That was my thought for the last 100 pages of this book. I was so sick of this story and the unbelievable plot and characters. I couldn't take it anymore. When I got to the final pages I felt like I was on a bad vacation and my plane had finally landed. It was over thought, too long, not at all entertaining and the characters were awful.
It didn't keep me guessing. Just when I thought one character was tolerable, one of the other characters did something farfetched and sleazy to keep the plot going. All this crap was mixed in with some social commentary about news cycles and the way reporters react to a story that involves "good looking" people.
Save your money. Don't read the reviews. Wait for the boring movie, that I'm sure will follow.

Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
by E L James
Price: CDN$ 12.96
559 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Twilight... the next generation, May 26 2012
OK, so the writing isn't great and she needs to put the thesaurus down but it's still completely entertaining. If you have deja vu, you probably read Twilight. A clumsy, sweet girl with an absent mother and a new stepfather and "guy's guy" father meets a handsome stranger who warns her he's "dangerous" for her. He has problems with the unsafe car her father gave her, has gobs of money and blames his "dangerousness" on things that happened in his youth that were not entirely his choice but worked out for the best. See the parallels yet? She works in a hardware store with a guy who has a crush on her and has a friend that her dad is friends with his dad and he also has a crush on her. His name is Jake...oh sorry I meant Jose. Give it a try. I loved Twilight and I read it in my thirties and this has some entertaining sex scenes. Ana researches his traits on the internet...come on you have to see the connection!

Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock
Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock
by Sammy Hagar
Price: CDN$ 21.11
44 used & new from CDN$ 4.01

2.0 out of 5 stars AVERAGE., Oct. 21 2011
This was an OK book. Sometimes rock stars aren't as exciting as they seem. I found I skipped a lot of it because I was bored. The Cabo Wabo story was entirely more intesting the the Van Halen one.

It's So Easy: and other lies
It's So Easy: and other lies
by Duff McKagan
Price: CDN$ 23.99
19 used & new from CDN$ 8.02

4.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC BOOK!!!, Oct. 21 2011
I have to admit I was never a Guns and Roses fan. I like their music but I was more into Grunge when they were around. This book has given me a new appreciation for them and their songs. I hadn't really thought much about how unique their sound was. Aside from the music Duff's story is totally interesting and completly entertaining. The book is written so well that I actually get stressed out when Axl doesn't show up for gigs and my heart breaks when Duff slowly watches his friends descend into drugs and his band implodes.
I bought this book because Duff was on Dr. Phil and I was interested to read about the panic attacks he suffered(s), I never suspected that I would become so invested in his story and become such a fan.

The Hypnotist
The Hypnotist
by Lars Kepler
Price: CDN$ 18.80
17 used & new from CDN$ 2.21

5.0 out of 5 stars I Couldn't Put It Down!, Aug. 24 2011
This review is from: The Hypnotist (Hardcover)
Forget comparing this book to others, it stands on it's own. It is a great dark read. The characters were well formed, the story had great suspense and I couldn't wait to finish.

My Korean Deli: Risking it All for a Convenience Store
My Korean Deli: Risking it All for a Convenience Store
by BEN RYDER HOWE
Price: CDN$ 18.87
20 used & new from CDN$ 12.37

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed Oppourtunity, March 25 2011
This could have been an interesting book about running a deli but it's everything but. I found myself skipping page after page of boring accounts of Ben's day job and his "puritan" upbringing. The writer unfortunately, is the least interesting character in the entire book. He could have written an account of editing at his day job or a history of his background and marrying into a different culture but he didn't...well actually he did but he hid it in a book that should have been about a deli.
So be warned! Do not buy this book for it's title or cover.

I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone
I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone
by Stephanie Kuehnert
Price: CDN$ 16.29
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written entertaining book., Aug. 14 2008
I really loved this book. The emotions and reactions of the characters were genuine and realistic. It's a great book to give someone who is just getting into music as well as someone who would appreciate the references. It's listed as Teen reading, ignore that and just enjoy it.
You'll end up with a soft spot for Emily Black.

A Dirty Job: A Novel
A Dirty Job: A Novel
by Christopher Moore
Price: CDN$ 12.26
111 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Are you new to Christopher Moore's world?, Aug. 14 2008
This review is from: A Dirty Job: A Novel (Paperback)
I was. I had read You Suck without knowing it was a sequel and totally enjoyed it. I thought I would give A Dirty Job a chance. Suspend your disbelief and enter this world of monsters and death in a green linen suit and you'll enjoy the ride. His characters are real, well...characters.
Charlie and his great family and neighbours as well as his quirky staff will have you smiling and laughing out loud. It also has some seriously creepy action (involving well dressed little beasts and sewer dwellers) and some seriously creepy sexy scenes. You'll be on the edge of your seat everytime someone's name is written down.

Twilight
Twilight
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: CDN$ 10.79
322 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, Sept. 25 2007
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
I'm totally addicted and love all the characters! I'm already in the middle of book #2.

Page: 1 | 2