Profile for Carrie F. Davisson > Reviews

Content by Carrie F. Davisson

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Carrie F. Davisson "wendoleeen"

Snuggle Puppy: a little love song
Snuggle Puppy: a little love song
by Sandra Boynton
Edition: Board book
Price: CDN$ 8.50
150 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have!, Aug. 29 2003
Our whole family adores this book. It's infectious; for one little book it packs a whallop. The book is a love song, and we sing it as a bluegrass song. One reading keeps us smiling for a whole day. Until I find a new favorite, this is the book I will buy (along with Blue Hat, Green Hat) for all of the new babies I know. Everything about it is especially fine.

Bare Bones
Bare Bones
by Kathy Reichs
16 used & new from CDN$ 1.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Barely Tolerable, Aug. 29 2003
This review is from: Bare Bones (Hardcover)
I was disappointed in this offering, possibly because Reichs has kept me so interested in the past. Bare Bones seems to be very heavily edited, it's choppy. There's not a lot of content in this book, and I am a big fan of Reich's indepth discussion of forensics. In a nutshell, I will give this series one more read, but if the next book is as boring as this one, I'll have to let it drop. Reichs can write much better.

Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions
by Ben Mezrich
59 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Borrow it from the Library!, Nov. 20 2002
I was really excited to get this book, it had a rating of 5 stars when I ordered it. Bringing Down the House is an interesting story, and a quick read. I was disappointed in it though, because it really wasn't well-written, the content could have been covered in many fewer pages, and the narrative didn't have a realistic voice. I also thought this book would have more math content, and be written to a higher-level reader. The author was a bit self-aggrandizing, a real turn-off. It was an interesting story and worth reading from the cultural literacy perspective, but it could have been a much better book.

Fatal Voyage: A Novel
Fatal Voyage: A Novel
by Kathy Reichs
75 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Should be on the top ten., July 22 2001
This review is from: Fatal Voyage: A Novel (Hardcover)
This is the fourth book in this series, so I expected the quality of this one to go down. This was not the case at all. Reichs weaves a tale that keeps you hooked from first page to last, and yes, I read it all in one sitting. She is a terrific writer, conveying every emotion felt by her well-developed characters. She doesn't condescend to her audience, keeping her explainations of technical details interesting without losing the reader or boring them to tears. I like these novels much better than Patricia Cornwell's latest efforts. I am so pleased that I spent my valuable spare time reading this book instead of some other. I would have given it five stars, but there is a little too much coincidence in this one. I heartily recommend this book, and I can't understand why it is not in the top ten!

Rob Roy
Rob Roy
by Sir Walter Scott
Price: CDN$ 18.87
25 used & new from CDN$ 11.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to Scott, Aug. 12 2000
This review is from: Rob Roy (Hardcover)
This novel is nothing like the film featuring Liam Neeson.
"Rob Roy" focuses on relationships in conflict because of national and local origins, social classes, and generations. Although most characters are one-dimensional, this becomes a useful tool for Scott to illustrate what each represents in his narrative. It does get off to a slow start, but one of the best things about Scott is that he describes the complete landscape of his novel, and soon you will be immersed in the story and have a detailed mental picture of what is unfolding in the novel.
Be patient, and allow yourself to be drawn into one of the best books ever written. "Rob Roy" is my favorite of Scott's works.

by Cynthia Rylant
Price: CDN$ 5.69
85 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 oinks for Poppleton, March 22 2000
This review is from: Poppleton (Paperback)
This book is wildly funny. My son, who is in kindergarten and just started reading, adored it. He's read all of the Poppleton books now and hope they keep coming. Extremely original and entertaining (Even for Mom!) I think the reviewers missed the boat on this one. Brevity is the soul of wit, and here's proof.

by Cynthia Rylant
Price: CDN$ 5.69
85 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 oinks for Poppleton, March 22 2000
This review is from: Poppleton (Paperback)

Martin Eden
Martin Eden
by Jack London
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars In my personal top ten, Jan. 6 2000
This review is from: Martin Eden (Paperback)
This book is on my top ten list of favorite books; it is painful and wonderful at the same time, and I have passed it on to many of my friends. I think that reading this book is a tremendous way to get into someone else's psyche and help us understand other ways of thinking, and to help us re-evaluate our own. If you don't know anything about Jack London, you will be compelled to find out more about him, and to read more of his work.

by J. K. Rowling
162 used & new from CDN$ 1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars More, more, more!, Jan. 2 2000
When you're into a series, you expect the quality to decline at some point. Azkaban doesn't do that at all, in fact it exceeded my very high expectations. My 38-year-old husband and I raced through all the books, and we've read them to our six-year-old as well, who thoroughly enjoyed them too.
I can't believe I have to wait another seven months to spend time with Harry, Ron and Hermione! To the critics-Bah Humbug! The violence is not excessive, the wizards are both good and bad(Hmmm, just like us!). In fact the best thing about the books is that they're about children who we can see ourselves in. These books get some children (I know one!) to read who never read before, and they simply make you feel great.

by J. K. Rowling