ARRAY(0xb3649aa4)

Profile for debbie-n-va > Reviews

Content by debbie-n-va

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"debbie-n-va"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Hardball
Hardball
4 used & new from CDN$ 18.73

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining film, Jan. 21 2003
This review is from: Hardball (VHS Tape)
This film was entertaining. Keanu Reeves and Diane Lane were great in this movie. Be warned, it turns into a shocking tear-jerker but overall it is a very cute movie. There is a lot of bad language in this film, so I wouldn't recommend it for very young children. I think it's a fine film to watch with your children, provided they are warned about the language before hand.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
8 used & new from CDN$ 19.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully done film, Jan. 7 2003
I read the book years ago and loved it. I purchased the video recently an was afraid I'd be disappointed. I was not.
This is a wonderfully done movie about a poor family at the turn of the century. You want to believe that the father, James Dunn, really believes that he is going to make a better life for his family. Dorothy McGuire plays a wonderful part as the mother who keeps the family together. I simply love this movie, it is very well written and very well acted. A must for any classic collection.

Where the Heart Is [Import]
Where the Heart Is [Import]
4 used & new from CDN$ 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment, Jan. 7 2003
My daughter and I rented this. i watched it. Simply, I fell in love. I bought it. Natalie Portman is precious in this movie, her acting devine. Stockard Channing is absolutely delightful as Sister Husband. Ashley Judd is now one of my favorite actresses. It all seemed so effortless for her. The story is funny, sweet, sad, all rolled into one. I watch this movie when I need to feel good about something and to laugh a little. Nothing deep here, just a feel good movie that I think most of us can relate to. It's great, really.

Riding in Cars With Boys
Riding in Cars With Boys
5 used & new from CDN$ 1.12

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, Jan. 7 2003
I wasn't sure what to expect in this movie, but I know one thing, it's one of my favorites. The players were perfectly cast and I am truely in awe of Drew Barrymore's acting abilities. I thought the movie portrayed the situation at hand very realistically (I have not read the book, just going on some of my past experiences). I bought the VHS version and have watched it maybe 3-4 times. I will not repeat the plot here as so many reviewers have done so already. I agree with one reviewer not to listen to critics. See for yourself, this is a heart-warming movie which will leave you with a good feeling.

Father Goose
Father Goose

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Cary's best, Jan. 7 2003
This review is from: Father Goose (VHS Tape)
Even though Cary Grant stepped away from playing the suave, sophisticated man, in this movie, Father Goose, you can't take the charm and sophistication out of him. He does a wonderful job as Walter Eckland, a scruffy, ex-professor who just wants to live freely and without responsibility. There is a certain electricity between Grant and Carron in this movie. It's an excellent, yet eccentric, love story that is a must for any classic collection.

A Lifetime In The Making
A Lifetime In The Making
Price: CDN$ 17.71
14 used & new from CDN$ 7.36

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of work., March 7 2002
I have followed The White from the early 80's, even before Sharon White married Ricky Skaggs (my all-time favorite bluegrass/country performer). The Whites have that amazing familial ability to harmonize perfectly. Sharon and Cheryl both have outstanding voices which only grow richer and more comfortable over the years. Buck still has it what it takes, and plays the piano and mandolin as well as ever. While, I thought this album would be more of a bluegrass nature, it has a style all it's own, not quite pure country, not quite bluegrass, some folksy stuff thrown in. I love it. It is absolutely a tremendous collection of music. A must for anyone who like the White's style of harmonizing. From the very first cut to the very last, you will stay with this CD, it will make you smile.

Center Stage
Center Stage
10 used & new from CDN$ 3.26

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, March 7 2002
This review is from: Center Stage (VHS Tape)
I bought this video for my daughter for Christmas. I sat and watched it with her. I found it entertaining but not anything to write home about. Obviously, it appeals to a younger crowd and I think it is a fine movie for teenagers and young adults. But it was entertaining enough to hold my attention. Very well acted for the most part, and the choreography was good.

Cool Blue And Lonesome Bluegr
Cool Blue And Lonesome Bluegr
Price: CDN$ 15.35
12 used & new from CDN$ 5.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A great compilation of bluegrass, March 7 2002
I actually bought this CD without knowing who the various artists were on it. I liked the titles of some of the songs on the back cover. I literally opened up a treasure trove of songs. While all of the songs tell of broken hearts, lost loves, some are "lonesome and blue", some at a faster pace. Never does this CD drag. All the cuts are absolutely wonderful with a wide array of bluegrass greats. All accoustic, all bluegrass. It is one of my very favorite CD's and I highly recommend it to bluegrass nuts like myself and people who are just getting interested in the bluegrass sound. If you've followed bluegrass for any length of time, you will recognize most of these voices. My favorite cuts: Mis'ry River, Close By, Walk the Way the Wind blows, Used to be, and the hauntingly beautiful 18th cut "Another Lonesome Day". Kick back and enjoy.

Storm Still Rages
Storm Still Rages
Price: CDN$ 18.11
18 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars NO ONE TOPS RHONDA, Oct. 2 2001
This review is from: Storm Still Rages (Audio CD)
I had the pleasure of seeing Rhonda Vincent and The Rage at a bluegrass festival this spring. She performed the day this CD was released, I picked it up without even hearing it, based on my love for her previous CD "Back Home Again". Rhonda, once again shines through on this CD. Rhonda is so full of energy on stage and that energy is apparent in the songs on "The Storm Still Rages". All the cuts on this CD are doing with heart and soul, because this music is a part of Rhonda. She's a real down to earth person, standing for hours in the hot sun, signing autographs, talking to her fans, having pictures taken. She loves bluegrass music. Her band is likewise a great and talented bunch of guys. They sound as good on stage as they do on the CD. I can't say enough good things about Rhonda and her music. She's a class act. This album deserves to be Album of the Year (as did her "Back Home Again" album--which didn't make it). Rhonda has a clear, natural voice that sounds angelic. I just love this CD

Mountain Soul
Mountain Soul
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 21.95
7 used & new from CDN$ 13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Patty Loveless Shines!, Oct. 2 2001
This review is from: Mountain Soul (Audio CD)
This has been a long-awaited album for me. I always knew that Patty's voice was meant for bluegrass. This is an incredibly solid album, and there is not one song on the whole CD that I would throw out. She's crystal clear, the harmonies are excellent and the instrumental accompaniments are wonderful. Ricky Skaggs, my favorite bluegrass performer, lends his talent on a couple of the cuts and I find I cannot take this CD out of my player. Patty, give us more bluegrass......this is the real stuff folks, not the "newgrass" that seems to be so popular, this is real stuff, the nitty gritty!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10