ARRAY(0xa906839c)

Profile for anonymous object > Reviews

Content by anonymous object

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

anonymous object "knowledgelover" (Maryland)

Vi iMproved (VIM)
Vi iMproved (VIM)
by Steve Oualline
Price: CDN$ 32.75
23 used & new from CDN$ 7.36

3.0 out of 5 stars we need a competing book that is better organized, Jan. 1 2004
This review is from: Vi iMproved (VIM) (Paperback)
I have used this book in a Windows environment; a few years of on-again-off again coding. I agree with the reviewer who found the book very disorganized. I am ordering the old edition of the O'Reilly book on the vi editor (a very small book, better than the newest edition and less than 5 bucks) because I found it more helpful than this book (!!).
I will try to go through it (yet) again, because I like vim, and recognize its power. I just downloaded TextPad and tried it for the first time in probably 4 years, and I am running back to vim after less than an hour of TextPad (the "dd" command of vim to delete a line has become essential to me :) ).
So, buy the book, but use the web and the excellent listserv to understand vim.

I Am That: Talks With Sri Nisargadatta
I Am That: Talks With Sri Nisargadatta
by Nisargadatta Maharaj
18 used & new from CDN$ 36.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, April 26 2003
The first time I tried to read this, I just didn't get it. A few months later, after being "tenderized" in a Goenka vipassana retreat, I bumped into it again. I was blown away, and still am.
His words are direct, surgical, pointed. His ability to describe things takes my breath away.
"You are not combustible nor is there is a need to collect fuel".
Check out "asmi" on a search engine for excerpts, but the book is way worth it to hold and read.