Profile for Poetkitty > Reviews

Content by Poetkitty
Top Reviewer Ranking: 229

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Poetkitty (Victoria, British Columbia)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Bilingual)
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Ralph Fiennes
Price: CDN$ 9.47
2 used & new from CDN$ 9.47

4.0 out of 5 stars A quirky and fun ride!, Dec 18 2014
I think you have to get on board for something quirky right off the top or you won't enjoy this much. If you do quirk well, then you'll love this!

National Geographic Concise Atlas of the World, Third Edition
National Geographic Concise Atlas of the World, Third Edition
by National Geographic
Price: CDN$ 19.44
26 used & new from CDN$ 19.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Excellent!, Dec 15 2014
This is exactly what I was looking for - easy to use, read, and decipher! This atlas has it all, but if you want an atlas just to learn the basics, this is ideal! The price-point is amazing too! I would have gladly spent twice this to have such a useful, well organized, and pretty atlas. Something every household should have, I think, and not the old, outdated, cumbersome horrors we used to have!

Masterpiece: Mr. Selfridge Season 2 (U.K. Edition)
Masterpiece: Mr. Selfridge Season 2 (U.K. Edition)
Price: CDN$ 29.37
24 used & new from CDN$ 24.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, Dec 11 2014
Just a rollicking, fast paced good time! I watched this on Netflix and it was impossible to watch only one episode at a time. I think season two is better than the first season, with a more compelling story{ies} line, more suspense and the characters more fleshed out. While we are interested in the characters, the mercantile backdrop is so interesting as well. And throw in a war and some scandal and it's a lot to take in! Interesting, compelling and absolutely addictive!

the invisible woman dvd Italian Import
the invisible woman dvd Italian Import
DVD ~ kristin scott thomas
Offered by Vecosell
Price: CDN$ 18.13
3 used & new from CDN$ 18.13

2.0 out of 5 stars I love period pieces, Sept. 6 2014
I love period pieces; I love slow paced, soulful, interesting stories. But this just was deadly dull to me. I watched it on Netflix and could not finish it. It defeated me. I don't believe the attraction between the two leads was believable. Dickens wasn't shown as that compelling, and Nelly was luke warm as well. I wasn't even sure that I was supposed to find their relationship romantic or special. Their physical scenes weren't sexy or connected feeling. Their connectedness with relation to his writing, only middling, as well. Overall, a fail for me.

Little Blue Truck Board Book
Little Blue Truck Board Book
by Alice Schertle
Edition: Board book
Price: CDN$ 8.54
51 used & new from CDN$ 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollicking!, July 3 2014
A rollicking ride! Great rhythm and rhyme, fast paced and exciting, with a great message of teamwork thrown in! Just a great book for wee folk!

Adventures with Barefoot Critters
Adventures with Barefoot Critters
by Teagan White
Price: CDN$ 14.43
34 used & new from CDN$ 10.95

3.0 out of 5 stars While the illustrations are dear, I find them a ..., July 3 2014
While the illustrations are dear, I find them a little complex and small in order to develop an instant connection with them. The rhymes are a little problematic for me too, as they don't scan perfectly. A cute book, but I was a little underwhelmed...

Are You There God?  It's Me, Margaret
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
by Judy Blume
Price: CDN$ 7.59
104 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Had its day, and the message was bad then!, June 21 2014
My cousin loaned this book to me at 10 or 11, and honestly, I had hugely mixed feelings about it then, and as an adult I still do. While it may have been revolutionary at the time, it sends a message that girls are inherently not ok with maturing, that they compete for their bodies to grow breasts and get their periods, that fitting in with the right crowd is essential - and other negative stereotypes we'd be well to dispel. The only way this book is useful, imho, is to read it with your daughter and point out the nonsense in it.

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
by Christopher Hitchens
Price: CDN$ 14.43
13 used & new from CDN$ 14.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes!, June 20 2014
Not the easiest read, but a grand one. You can 'hear' his thought processes and respect his sometimes wayward ramblings, because they appear to be products of his earliest outrages against 'nonsense'. His scope is impressive due to his worldwide travels and participation in many religious observances. This Hitchens quotation, sums up his approach. Some find it needlessly combative, but it sings with truth to me....

“Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”

Letter to a Christian Nation
Letter to a Christian Nation
by Sam Harris
Price: CDN$ 12.24
39 used & new from CDN$ 5.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Bang-On!, June 20 2014
Sam Harris is one of the most approachable of the 'new atheists' and delivers a hard hitting, no frills, rational refutation of ancient beliefs. In this small book, he gives ammunition to atheists to help clarify and defend their own views, and perhaps a boost to the fence sitters that are having trouble giving themselves a final push. His reductionist arguments, his insistence that you make a stand, and his barrage against the airy-fairy, are refreshing and freeing. He exposes all myth based dogma as inherently false and ultimately dangerous. A great push for humanism with its ultimate concern for societal well-being and progress...Full of absolute gems..."Our country now appears, as at no other time in her history, like a lumbering, bellicose, dim-witted giant." and "The process of scientific conquest and religious forfeiture has been relentless, one directional, and utterly predictable." Sam Harris is never, as some accuse atheists of being, strident. He lets the facts speak for themselves. And at the end you feel his deep concern for a world who puts ancient, divisive, cruel nonsense above rational enquiry on how best to live moral, healthy, happy lives...

Black & Decker Platinum BDH2000FL 20-Volt Max Lithium Ion Flex Vacuum
Black & Decker Platinum BDH2000FL 20-Volt Max Lithium Ion Flex Vacuum
Price: CDN$ 145.56
12 used & new from CDN$ 116.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super!, May 6 2014
A no-brainer for the car plus any other place where a full sized vacuum is awkward! This is powerful, light, and keeps its charge for ....well, I've never run out of power! It's easy to store on its base, ready to go. I'm completely happy with this product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9