Profile for Poetkitty > Reviews

Content by Poetkitty
Top Reviewer Ranking: 163

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Poetkitty (Victoria, British Columbia)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Edition: Board book
Price: CDN$ 8.54
56 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollicking!, July 3 2014
A rollicking ride! Great rhythm and rhyme, fast paced and exciting, with a great message of teamwork thrown in! Just a great book for wee folk!

Adventures with Barefoot Critters
Adventures with Barefoot Critters
by Teagan White
Price: CDN$ 14.43
28 used & new from CDN$ 10.20

3.0 out of 5 stars While the illustrations are dear, I find them a ..., July 3 2014
While the illustrations are dear, I find them a little complex and small in order to develop an instant connection with them. The rhymes are a little problematic for me too, as they don't scan perfectly. A cute book, but I was a little underwhelmed...

Are You There God?  It's Me, Margaret
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
by Judy Blume
Price: CDN$ 7.59
128 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Had its day, and the message was bad then!, June 21 2014
My cousin loaned this book to me at 10 or 11, and honestly, I had hugely mixed feelings about it then, and as an adult I still do. While it may have been revolutionary at the time, it sends a message that girls are inherently not ok with maturing, that they compete for their bodies to grow breasts and get their periods, that fitting in with the right crowd is essential - and other negative stereotypes we'd be well to dispel. The only way this book is useful, imho, is to read it with your daughter and point out the nonsense in it.

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
by Christopher Hitchens
Price: CDN$ 14.43
13 used & new from CDN$ 11.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes!, June 20 2014
Not the easiest read, but a grand one. You can 'hear' his thought processes and respect his sometimes wayward ramblings, because they appear to be products of his earliest outrages against 'nonsense'. His scope is impressive due to his worldwide travels and participation in many religious observances. This Hitchens quotation, sums up his approach. Some find it needlessly combative, but it sings with truth to me....

“Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”

Letter to a Christian Nation
Letter to a Christian Nation
by Sam Harris
Price: CDN$ 12.24
41 used & new from CDN$ 4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Bang-On!, June 20 2014
Sam Harris is one of the most approachable of the 'new atheists' and delivers a hard hitting, no frills, rational refutation of ancient beliefs. In this small book, he gives ammunition to atheists to help clarify and defend their own views, and perhaps a boost to the fence sitters that are having trouble giving themselves a final push. His reductionist arguments, his insistence that you make a stand, and his barrage against the airy-fairy, are refreshing and freeing. He exposes all myth based dogma as inherently false and ultimately dangerous. A great push for humanism with its ultimate concern for societal well-being and progress...Full of absolute gems..."Our country now appears, as at no other time in her history, like a lumbering, bellicose, dim-witted giant." and "The process of scientific conquest and religious forfeiture has been relentless, one directional, and utterly predictable." Sam Harris is never, as some accuse atheists of being, strident. He lets the facts speak for themselves. And at the end you feel his deep concern for a world who puts ancient, divisive, cruel nonsense above rational enquiry on how best to live moral, healthy, happy lives...

Black & Decker Platinum BDH2000FL 20-Volt Max Lithium Ion Flex Vacuum
Black & Decker Platinum BDH2000FL 20-Volt Max Lithium Ion Flex Vacuum
Price: CDN$ 146.29
3 used & new from CDN$ 146.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Super!, May 6 2014
A no-brainer for the car plus any other place where a full sized vacuum is awkward! This is powerful, light, and keeps its charge for ....well, I've never run out of power! It's easy to store on its base, ready to go. I'm completely happy with this product.

Sense and Sensibility
Sense and Sensibility
DVD ~ Emma Thompson
Price: CDN$ 5.97
52 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, April 30 2014
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility (DVD)
I think the slickness and beauty of this adaptation carry it far. To me, if characters don't look as I imagine them to, if the setting and costumes and music aren't 'right', things quickly go south for me. I love the scenes of wealth - even at Barton dining on the lawn there is a sumptuousness that is lacking in other versions! But I also love the homey feel - we see scenes of domestic, country life that are appealing. I think in other versions that the sisters are too dowdy - as though losing their father and their home would suddenly make them lose all accoutrements of wealth - no smart bonnets, no jewellery, no accessories. Elinor lamenting about the cost of sugar keeps this adaptation grounded, however. The romantic aspect is well done, and of course this is important. Marianne seems at first annoyed at the 'attentions' of Brandon, and rightly besotted with Willoughby...Brandon is perfect! The chemistry between Elinor and Edward is fine. Lucy is excellent, and I don't mind the omission of her sister. Making Sir John a widower is fine too - his wife and brood aren't necessary. I love Sir John and Mrs Jennings - they are a scream! Their coarseness isn't repulsive, but a nice off-set for the more quietly brought up sisters. Even Margaret is good - and when we see her interactions with Edward at Norland, we see how Elinor could fall for him. My favourite character was Alan Rickman as Brandon, with his steady worth and constancy....difficult at times to make this character sexy as well as solid. Rickman nails it. Willoughby was good, but I think he could have been played with an underlying edge of the rake. He seems too 'good'. Overall, I really liked this version!

Sense & Sensibility
Sense & Sensibility
DVD ~ Irene Richard
Offered by polski_film
Price: CDN$ 4.98
19 used & new from CDN$ 1.84

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a watch!, April 30 2014
This review is from: Sense & Sensibility (DVD)
I'd like to give it 3.5 stars. This is true to the language of the novel - I recognize bits straight from the text. Elinor is just ok as the serious, sensible elder sister, but Marianne shines. I actually like that she's a little unlikeable at times, with her excessive romantic sensibilities and peevishness. Her character shows the most growth. The male leads, alas, except for Willoughby, are not handsome, but Brandon has some appeal, in his kindness and real regard for Marianne. As a miniseries, the pace is slow, the costumes and settings aren't stellar, but as a fan of the novel I enjoy having this as part of my collection.

The Book Thief (Bilingual)
The Book Thief (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Geoffrey Rush
Price: CDN$ 10.00
6 used & new from CDN$ 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, thoughtful story about basic human emotions, April 11 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief (Bilingual) (DVD)
I bought this on a recommendation and I didn't know what to expect. I was wary of the 'child' aspect as children can be truly nauseating in movies - precocious etc, but I loved the kids in the movie! Such freshness and simplicity about big topics! All the human relationships were moving, and though set during Nazi Germany, it wasn't unrelieved wretchedness or unnecessarily horrible. I thought, as I was watching, what a great family movie to introduce this topic or augment what is being taught in schools. It really showed the horrors of totalitarianism, the horrors of war, but ultimately, the strength of the human spirit. I loved the lead - she was a brave, true, wonderful girl, who rose to every occasion....Just a great, emotional, ultimately satisfying movie!

12 Years A Slave (Bilingual)
12 Years A Slave (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Chiwetel Ejiofor
Price: CDN$ 9.00
17 used & new from CDN$ 8.00

3.0 out of 5 stars An important topic but...., April 10 2014
This review is from: 12 Years A Slave (Bilingual) (DVD)
Growing up watching "Roots" and "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman", I expected something bigger, bolder and more eye-opening - especially for all the Oscar nominations, but alas, I was disappointed. This was uniformly slow-paced and I was interested enough to keep watching, but just barely. It did a good job of portraying slaves as property, which was unsettling, and had the requisite number of semi-lynchings and whippings, but it pretty much fell flat to me....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8