ARRAY(0xc193196c)

Profile for Poetkitty > Reviews

Content by Poetkitty
Top Reviewer Ranking: 167

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Poetkitty (Victoria, British Columbia)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Book Thief/La voleuse de livres (Bilingual)
The Book Thief/La voleuse de livres (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Geoffrey Rush
Price: CDN$ 19.97
2 used & new from CDN$ 19.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, thoughtful story about basic human emotions, April 11 2014
I bought this on a recommendation and I didn't know what to expect. I was wary of the 'child' aspect as children can be truly nauseating in movies - precocious etc, but I loved the kids in the movie! Such freshness and simplicity about big topics! All the human relationships were moving, and though set during Nazi Germany, it wasn't unrelieved wretchedness or unnecessarily horrible. I thought, as I was watching, what a great family movie to introduce this topic or augment what is being taught in schools. It really showed the horrors of totalitarianism, the horrors of war, but ultimately, the strength of the human spirit. I loved the lead - she was a brave, true, wonderful girl, who rose to every occasion....Just a great, emotional, ultimately satisfying movie!

12 Years A Slave / Esclave pendant 12 ans (Bilingual)
12 Years A Slave / Esclave pendant 12 ans (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Chiwetel Ejiofor
Price: CDN$ 19.97
2 used & new from CDN$ 19.97

3.0 out of 5 stars An important topic but...., April 10 2014
Growing up watching "Roots" and "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman", I expected something bigger, bolder and more eye-opening - especially for all the Oscar nominations, but alas, I was disappointed. This was uniformly slow-paced and I was interested enough to keep watching, but just barely. It did a good job of portraying slaves as property, which was unsettling, and had the requisite number of semi-lynchings and whippings, but it pretty much fell flat to me....

The Grey / Peur grise (Bilingual)
The Grey / Peur grise (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Liam Neeson
Price: CDN$ 9.99
19 used & new from CDN$ 2.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Really?, April 5 2014
You are either on board with the way wolves are portrayed in this movie, or you're not. Period. If you're not, like me, you find the wolves almost supernaturally vicious and unrealistically intense....A little research shows that there have been 2 cases of wolves killing humans in North America in the past 100 years....So while I haven't even finished this movie, the wolf aspect ruins everything....On a psychological point of view, it's always interesting to see how different people behave in times of emergency and stress...This is ok on that point, but again, the wolf issue is the clincher....

Young Riders Complete Season 2 [Import]
Young Riders Complete Season 2 [Import]
Price: CDN$ 23.77
12 used & new from CDN$ 15.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete~, March 7 2014
Four episodes - all apparently my favourites, are missing from this. So this is a huge disappointment for me! Aside from that I'm enjoying all the seasons - they've stood the test of time really well, and despite the violence, have good morals throughout.

Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights
Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 22.59
15 used & new from CDN$ 8.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, Feb. 11 2014
My biggest criticism of this version is the first half, where all the motivations and connections should be firmly rooted. I find it a little flat - I would even like to see Heathcliff more abused by Hindley, Cathy being less silly and more deep with Heathcliff. These factors are the driving force of the whole story. The second half is better - the scene with Heathcliff and Cathy after she's given birth is good. Overall, this is uneven, and unnecessarily so. The costumes,scenery, music etc is good - Wuthering Heights itself is shown as a happy, lively home as a stark contrast to it when Heathcliff is the sole proprietor.

I'd say the version with Tom Hardy is the best so far, despite two liberties being taken with the story...

Persuasion (Sous-titres français)
Persuasion (Sous-titres français)
DVD ~ Amanda Root
Price: CDN$ 12.58
35 used & new from CDN$ 6.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate but not stellar, Feb. 8 2014
There are many things to like about this adaptation - I like the 'naturalness' of it - you see people with less than perfect hair, natural manners, people walking through mud, dirty petticoats, feet on fenders....This is very appealing to me. I think where this falls down a little is the re-connection of the 2 leads. I wish that Anne had more moments of reflection, even being able to 'hear' her innermost thoughts, and not rely so much on the viewer's previous knowledge of the story. The same could have occurred with Captain Wentworth - more of a change of heart - from being openly resentful towards her and his gradual softening....We see this a little when he places her in the carriage, and when he says, "No one is as capable as Anne" etc, but I think it could have been better. Amanda Root is just a shade too plain for Anne...I would have liked to see more of a second bloom in her with her renewed prospects.....The scene where Wentworth writes the note to Anne is lovely, but it seemed a bit random....I would have liked to see more foreshadowing of it......whether this is a fault of the novel or this adaptation, I'm not sure. I usually hate things spelled out too obviously, but it still could have been done subtly and then the audience could have 'rooted' for them..It's ok, but falls a bit flat...

Bears on Chairs
Bears on Chairs
by Shirley Parenteau
Price: CDN$ 13.72
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Darling!, Feb. 3 2014
This review is from: Bears on Chairs (Hardcover)
I just love the sweet, charming illustrations - 4 bears, 4 chairs - what happens when the fifth bear arrives? Problem solving and sharing and inclusion at its best!

Wuthering Heights  (Masterpiece)
Wuthering Heights (Masterpiece)
DVD ~ Tom Hardy
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 16.87
21 used & new from CDN$ 16.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, Jan. 15 2014
I really loved this adaptation, partly because it was so accessible to someone who hasn't read the novel. I just re-read the novel and I think that Tom Hardy's Heathcliff is more 'lovable' than the novel's - he's less savage and more relatable. There are 2 liberties taken with the story, one involving Heathcliff and Catherine, and the other involving Heathcliff's demise, but it doesn't really matter...I'd also say that in the novel the characters are younger than what is generally depicted, Heathcliff is only 19 when he returns, and everyone marries very young and dies very young, but these details don't affect our ability to connect with the characters. The two leads are so brilliant - Cathy is sublime - a difficult 'heroine' to play because if she was as savage and neurotic as the novel's Cathy, she'd be difficult to like...She nails this difficult role and Tom Hardy is so bleedin' sexy, even when, or especially when, he's evil, that you could watch just to enjoy him!

Because a truly faithful representation of Emily Bronte's characters would render them repulsive, this adaptation knows how far to carry things and still be enjoyable and true to the spirit of the novel...

Edwardian Farm
Edwardian Farm
Price: CDN$ 29.24
12 used & new from CDN$ 27.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, Jan. 3 2014
This review is from: Edwardian Farm (DVD)
I already have Victorian Farm and Victorian Farm Christmas, so I knew what to expect from this. I've only watched a part of this so far but it's absolutely enthralling! The team has found a new farm on a canal in a different area - so a new cottage to set up, new farm stock to acquire, new planting issues, a new life, a new time, different preoccupations and challenges! It's wonderful! The trio are enthusiastic and such good sports with the backbreaking labour, and the people that are the local experts are fantastic too! So wonderful that the old ways and knowledge are being preserved! This is excellent family viewing and especially so for us comfortable suburban dwellers with all our conveniences! You can't help but be impressed at the innovation and hard work of our ancestors! I also find that fairly recent history more accessible than ancient history. I can imagine my not so distant relatives living similar lives.

Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas (50th Birthday Bilingual Deluxe Edition)
DVD ~ DVD
Price: CDN$ 10.00
8 used & new from CDN$ 6.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic for good reason!, Dec 17 2013
The rhyme itself is brilliant, the animation old school and wonderful, the typical imaginative excess of Seuss is wonderful and the moral, sublime. This is just a feel-good, fun for all ages, movie! A Christmas staple!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7