Profile for Rob > Reviews

Content by Rob

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Rob

Dream Essentials Infinity Sleep Mask - Black
Dream Essentials Infinity Sleep Mask - Black
Offered by Dream Essentials Canada
Price: CDN$ 39.95
2 used & new from CDN$ 39.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Sleep on it before buying this uncomfortable mask, Feb. 27 2014
I found this mask to be bulky and uncomfortable and not at all what I had expected for the premium price. It blocks the light wel enoughl, but the nose piece squeeze the top of my nose shut and the ridges around the perimeter, designed to keep the mask fabric from touching the eyes, press uncomfortably on the forehead and under the eyes if you tighten the velcro strap enought to block the light. The strap itself is also uncomfortable, fitting too low on the ears. Maybe I'll get used to it but I certainly did not find it conducive to a good night's sleep.

Adonit Jot Script Evernote Edition Fine Point Stylus for iPad, iPad Air, iPad Mini and iPhone
Price: Click here to see our price
4 used & new from CDN$ 74.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing point, Feb. 27 2014
I bought this to be able to write fluidly on my iPad, having found this impossible with my fingertips or the usual fat rubber squishy tips on most styli. This was a disappointment. The writing experience is still not at all natural: there is a small but perceptible time lag between pressing the tip (which requires a fair amount of pressure) and seeing the result. On the whole I don't think it's worth the extra money.

HP EliteBook Revolve 810 G1 Tablet PC - 11.6inch - Intel Core i7-3687U 2.1GHz - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Offered by biddeal
Price: CDN$ 1,093.73
5 used & new from CDN$ 1,093.73

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good laptop but not worth the $$$, Feb. 27 2014
The main reasons I bought this laptop was (a) it was advertised as an ultrabook and (b) it runs Windows 7 instead of the unusable but ubiquitous Windows 8 (which you can optionally install if you're so inclined). The Windows 7 works fine but i's not really an ultrabook -- quite heavy and bulky. It won't break your arm but you'll notice it when it's in your briefcase. Defnitely not a substitute for a MacBook Air. The swivel screen that turns it into a (sort of) tablet is gimmicky and impractical: the result is a very fat and unwieldy tablet that's not very usable. Otherwise it works well as a laptop -- boots up very fast, good but not great screen resolution, handles videos and most apps easily. It's also quite sturdy and should stand up to a lot of abuse. I guess its heftiness is the price you pay for being built like a tank.

TRENDnet Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter, TPL-406E
TRENDnet Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter, TPL-406E
Price: CDN$ 39.99
13 used & new from CDN$ 38.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, Jan. 7 2014
I already had the big brother of this adapter (worked great in our basement, which was otherwise a dead zone) and was looking for one to provide connectivity for AppleTV in the family room. Since the model number was not exactly the same I had some fears about compatibility, but it worked flawlessly - just plug and play, worked first time and no problems since. A much better solution to extending wireless range than the various "range extenders" or wireless boosters that I've tried over the years, none of which made any appreciable difference in connectivity. You do need to plug it in and connect to your device with an ethernet cable, but connect it to an inexpensive wireless router and you have an instant mini wireless hotspot.

Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5
Timex Men's Heart Rate Monitor watch #T5G971F5
Offered by iZone Deals
Price: CDN$ 51.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 34.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Heart rate monitor a complete waste of money, Aug. 26 2012
This is supposed to be a heart rate monitor for adults. It is completely useless as anything but a cheap digital watch, and not even that. The monitor is supposed to be strapped around your chest. Apparently it was designed by elves or 6 year old children because the elastic strap measures only 31 inches at full extension. My chest measures 44 inches, which is not unusual for a fully grown male human being. If I tried to wear this thing for more than 10 seconds I would pass out before it even found my pulse. But no worry, because it fact it will not find my pulse anyway. Before fastening the thing around your chest you're supposed to "Wet the Personal Heart Rate Sensor pads". Trouble is, there are no "Heart Rate Sensor pads". The back of the senor unit is flat black plastic, with a battery cover and a label describing the battery. That's it. No "pads" that I could see. Well, I wet the plastic anyway and pressed it to my sternum. At this point when you press On/OFF "A set of three dashes and the heart rate icon will appear on the display followed by a display that shows your current heart rate". Well, I must be dead because all I got was the three dashes and the icon. OK, it's a write off as a heart rate monitor so maybe I can still use it as a watch? I've had half a dozen digital watches over the years and setting the time is always a nuisance but this one sets a new standard for user unfriendliness. The user manual doesn't bother to tell you how to actually set a particular value. This you're supposed to figure out by yourself through trial, error and cursing. This is an exact quote: "In some setting groups pressing ON/OFF will increase the value and pressing REC/Date will decrease a value. At other times pressing ON/OFF or RECV/DATE will decrease a value. At other times pressing ON/OFF or RECV/DATE will toggle between 2 actions". And at other times throwing the piece of junk across the room may be satisfying but it won't set the time. I know-- this was written to illustrate the Heinseberg Uncertainty Principle. You're never sure what result pressing any given button will have. Maybe shows we have free will? Who knows. But as either a heart rate monitor or a watch this is a non starter. I'd return it but I've already wasted $9 in shipping which I will have to spend again shipping it back -- so I'm out $20 on a $35 purchase with nothing to show for it except frustration. Timex used to be a good, reliable brand of inexpensive watches. If this is a sample of their current products, those days are as dead as John Cameron Swayze.

Coby Kyros 7-Inch Android 2.3 4 GB Internet Touchscreen Tablet - MID7012-4G (Black)
Offered by grabthesale
Price: CDN$ 166.30
3 used & new from CDN$ 68.60

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, Jan. 9 2012
I thought this might be a good deal at the price - an android table for less than $200. Well, you get what you pay for. Dim, blurry screen. Poor, erratic tactile response. No Java script. No Adobe flash player. No access to the real Android store, just something called GetJar. Heavy, awkward form factor. Another piece of worthlesss electronic junk to add to my collection. Pay a few bucks more and get a Samsung Galaxy or, God forbid, a BlackBerry Playbook. They have to be better than this sorry excuse for a tablet.

Aluratek AUV200F Hi Res USB 2.0 to VGA Adapter Dual Display Support
Aluratek AUV200F Hi Res USB 2.0 to VGA Adapter Dual Display Support
Price: CDN$ 46.99
19 used & new from CDN$ 46.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless piece of junk, Jan. 9 2012
This device is completely useless except maybe as a paperweight. First off, the driver would not install (either from the CD ROM or the website) and Windows 7 did not recognize the second monitor. The help desk was totally useless. The guy took control of my desktop and then said he would email me the correct driver in five minutes. After three hours no driver. Later I finally succeeded in installing the driver from their website using Safe Mode, but Windows 7 still would not recognize the second monitor and there was no way to uncheck the "Off" box on the driver menu. The second tech was even worse than the first. Mumbling unintelligbly through the whole process he insisted that I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable a number of times, trying out different ports on my PC, trying different cables etc. The result? The USB port on the unit broke off, rendering it completely useless. Don't waste your money on this garbage. It's not that it functions poorly; IT DOES NOTHING AT ALL! I wish I hadn't taken it out of the box so I could get my money back plus the exorbitant $15 shipping charge!