ARRAY(0xb3658ec4)

Profile for Patrick > Reviews

Content by Patrick

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Patrick

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went from Street Corner to Corner Office
Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went from Street Corner to Corner Office
by Zack O'Malley Greenburg
Price: CDN$ 11.55
44 used & new from CDN$ 4.02

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a well organized book with a lot of blank space, April 14 2014
I wanted to like this book but a lot of thing are missing. I am not yet done with my reading but have read almost 25% of it in two hours. This book does not have a lot of words even if it has over 250 pages. A lot of gap appears in the sequential of the story. Two decades are covered in the first 25%. And, a huge problem is that we move from one part of Jay Z to another without any logical order. For example, some paragraph are in 2003 and the next one can come back in 1998. Also, friends of Jay Z are not well described. We have a short idea of who is everybody but we do not know any details about how they become closer. Some people have few lines more but the rest is very dry. In fact, Beyonce is introduced during the description of a basketball match... weird... she is his wife now and I were expected to know how to get to know each other... but like I say, I am not done with the book yet and since the book is not in chronological order, I suppose that I will get this information later on. For all these reasons, I am not really hook to this book and I am really glad that I have not paid more than 12$ because it does not worth more in my opinion. Too bad.

Inception / Origine (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
Inception / Origine (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Price: CDN$ 9.93
21 used & new from CDN$ 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The story of this movie is awersome, April 2 2014
I love the story and Leonardo is still very impressive. This movie require you to have all you attention to the story because it is complicated. The concept of be able to slow down the time by going into dreams are interesting.

The Adventures of Tintin / Les Aventures de Tintin : Le Secret de la Licorne (Bilingual) [Blu-ray + DVD + Digital]
DVD ~ Jamie Bell
Price: CDN$ 13.99
18 used & new from CDN$ 9.35

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Bluray, April 2 2014
This is my first bluray for animated movie and it is very well done. The story is interesting that graphics are very well done. I recommend to anyone that like Tintin and animation movie.

Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture
Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture
by David Kushner
Price: CDN$ 14.40
34 used & new from CDN$ 7.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, I do not want to stop reading it!, April 2 2014
I have bought this book few days ago and I cannot stop reading it. It is well written and even if I have read only about 50 pages, I cannot stop reading it. I like the way chapters are divided so far. It is easy to understand each characters and to understand how they travail through their life to become those great developers. I think that this book is a must read for those who has played Commander Keen, Wolfenstein and Doom. Being a developer myself, the story of the glory of nerds always intrigued me. If you are in the IT domain, I suggest that you read this book.

Edit:
I am done with this book. I read it within 2 weeks. One of the best book I have read of my life. It is awesome to see the rise and fall of John Romero and see how John D. Carmack seem to be so in control but cold in the same time. The only negative comment that I have is that it ends at 2003. I had to go on Wikipedia to know what happen from there :) A highly recommend book if you like real story of fame that does not end the way you may think.

Gadget Technologies Sphere  SP9882 Lightphoria Sad Light Therapy, 10,000 Lux
Gadget Technologies Sphere SP9882 Lightphoria Sad Light Therapy, 10,000 Lux
Price: CDN$ 86.69
4 used & new from CDN$ 81.53

3.0 out of 5 stars I have used this light for 2 months and it is okay, Feb. 26 2014
I do not feel myself more energetic but I feel that I miss it when the light goes down. I guess it is because my body love it. I have to use it in maximum level for 1 hour to see a little change. Not very sure if it is the lamp or me that is not for this kind of lamp. I am not disappointed but not happy.

Shutter Island (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
Shutter Island (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
Price: CDN$ 9.99
10 used & new from CDN$ 7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Leonardo and the story, Feb. 26 2014
The story is good from the start to the end. Leonardo is acting perfectly and create confusion until the last minute.

Legend  of Zelda Link Between Worlds
Legend of Zelda Link Between Worlds
Price: CDN$ 39.27
24 used & new from CDN$ 32.98

5.0 out of 5 stars This game is awesome, Feb. 16 2014
I played about 75% of all Zelda game in my life. This one is very good. I was not sure about the fact that all items are available very soon in the game. But, it is something new that does not kill the game. I found it very interesting. I love the fact to switch to 2d to move on wall too. It has two maps that are very huge and the transportation system is interesting. I have played 9 hours so far and from what I see, I have only get 2 pictures of 7. So I am guessing that I still have for more than 30 hours to play. Side quests are fun too. I recommend this game to all Zelda fans and to all people that want to start with Zelda franchise. Finally, I love the way it is not 3d but pseudo 2d/3d.

The 3ds dual screen is perfect to switch items fast and to let you pin important part of the map. Controls are very easy to use.

Edit:
I have finished the game. I tooks me 28 hours and I have played less than 14 times! Each time almost 2 hours of time. This mean that I was not able to stop playing because I loved the game. I really like the 2d style of the game and the story is great. I really think I will redo the whole game with the "advanced setting" that is available once the game is done.

World War Ii Definitive Visual Guide Paperback
World War Ii Definitive Visual Guide Paperback
by Dorling Kindersley
Price: CDN$ 17.52
30 used & new from CDN$ 11.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice book with good illustrations, Dec 27 2013
I really like this book. It's a book that you can read few pages and stop and continue later on. It has a lot of illustrations and text are not hard to understand. I recommend this book for anyone who like to know more about the second world war without being overwhelmed by detail. It's a good book to have an overview of all the war. Definitely a book for beginner, written in the format of an encyclopedia.

Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist
Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist
by Roger Lowenstein
48 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge book for 20$, April 24 2013
I really appreciate the read of this book. You learn the life of someone who has succeed in life more than anyone. It's really entertaining and the book has a lot of pages. You won't learn how Buffett did all his money with precision but you will have a big picture of his start and how he grows from his young year to the current year.

How to Win Friends and Influence People
How to Win Friends and Influence People
by Dale Carnegie
Price: CDN$ 13.71
59 used & new from CDN$ 2.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, April 24 2013
I have read this book after listening to the audio book and I really appreciate to read it. This book has basic concept of how to behave with others. It doesn't have "black trick" or tip that can be easily done but it shows how to act with others to reach your goal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3