Profile for hilmcleod > Reviews

Content by hilmcleod

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

hilmcleod

Nesco FD-75A 600-Watt Food Dehydrator, Gray Speckled
Nesco FD-75A 600-Watt Food Dehydrator, Gray Speckled
Price: CDN$ 99.67
6 used & new from CDN$ 81.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this purchase., Sept. 13 2013
Love my Nesco dehrydrator. It is fast - you have to watch the food to make sure it doesn't overdry. I made this mistake because my previous machine (another brand and quite old) really took its time. I like that the fanand electonics are on the top so that food and juice don't fall on the housing. I love that it has temperature control and a good instruction book. Happy with this purchase!

Making your own traditions
Making your own traditions
by Dette Hunter
3 used & new from CDN$ 12.98

5.0 out of 5 stars best family Christmas traditions book for parents and kids, Dec 16 2011
I bought this little book when my kids were small. They are now all around 30 years old. We still use our favorite recipes and my grandson will soon be able to participate. Just a great all-round resource for holiday pastimes - from crafts and gift-making ideas, holiday decorating, and yummy treat-making (from simple to more complicated). We still use the favorite recipes every year - Christmas Eve tourtiere, Christmas Pudding and quick shortbread. Next year, I'll make the Super-Simple Gingerbread House with my grandson. Great decorating ideas the kids can help with for the house and the table. Even has tips for staying sane and tranquil. A treasure of a book!

America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook
America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook
by America's Test Kitchen
Edition: Ring-bound
Price: CDN$ 24.44
27 used & new from CDN$ 24.44

5.0 out of 5 stars A tasty treat - and healthy!, May 25 2011
My grown-up daughters and I love this cookbook. We have copies in three households! We like the explanation of why and how healthy changes were made to recipes and how the taste-testers responded. There are wonderful tips for improved results - like soaking the potato wedges before oven-roasting, or how to grill on your barbecue with amazing juicy but non-sticky results. The authors are not shy about making specific brand recommendations for ingredients and suggestions for excellent kitchen gadgets and cookware - useful even for experienced cooks and already well-supplied kitchens. There are recipes for all courses and types of meals. But what did we like best? The authors do not sacrifice taste and texture to fulfill the "healthy changes" mandate. The Caesar salad dressing recipe tastes every bit as decadent as the classic home-made concoction we have used in our family for decades. A wonderful all round cookbook!