Profile for Emil Khekoyan > Reviews

Content by Emil Khekoyan

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Emil Khekoyan "BACH" (L.A., CA, USA)

Art of Fugue 70th Edition
Art of Fugue 70th Edition
Price: CDN$ 9.49
26 used & new from CDN$ 4.64

3.0 out of 5 stars The Best Bach Interpreter of the Century, Nov. 29 2003
I absolutely love all the works played by Glenn Gould. Why 3 stars then? For a long time I have loved every work that Gould brought to life and I still absolutely love them. However, "The Art of the Fugue" really made me see some of Glenn's dark side. The flaw is that his high speeds have absolutely no excuse on this marvelous piece of creation. It is true that Gould is the best pianist when it comes to playing Bach, but to understand what I mean, go and listen to Contrapunctus IV by some other performer who plays it much slower than Glenn. I personally recommend especially the trumpet version. It will blow your mind and convince you that Gould's performance of this piece was really hiding its magnificent beauty and drama. It is simply not possible to express something so breathtakingly dramatic by playing it staccato and also too fast. Have you ever seen someone who had a great loss crying by short stops and very fast? I don't suppose so. And the comparison is very fair because all the instruments, especially the piano, were created to resemble the human voice. 'Art of the Fugue' is nothing like the Goldberg Variations where Gould's touch made the music beautiful, especially the first slow movement (which he actually plays very slowly and hence compensates for the staccato). It is much more dramatic and the performer's first goal must be to convey the drama to the listener.
Who am I to judge Glenn? I just have had the privilege to listen closely to titans like S. Richter, E. Gilels, A. Rubinstein, A.Schnabel, S. Rachmaninoff, V. Horowitz, and many others. Not to mention that so far I have listened to the complete works of over 40 composers. Again, Glenn Gould plays beautifully, especially Bach's faster pieces, where even Emil Gilels and Sviatoslav Richter can't do such a precise and concise interpretation. But we must remember that Glenn is a great pianist, but a pianist that can't even match with the Genius of Johann Sebastian Bach (I have heard Glenn's compositions). It is ironic that listeners give so much credit to Gould that they absolutely forget that the only reason that he is able to play such beautiful pieces is because Bach has created them in the first place! With this in mind, we still can accept new ways of interpretation of Bach, BUT NOT TO THE POINT THAT IT DECREASES THE INTRINSIC VALUE OF BACH'S COMPOSITIONS. Glenn does not do this often, but it is shocking that he chose to show his over-interpretation on a work that is considered to be the most important one in the entire classical repertoire. If Glenn was made to play these pieces by his contractors then the flaws can be partially forgiven.
It all comes down to this: this work should by no means put Gould's abilities in question, since he is indeed the best Bach interpreter of this century. However, one must not be blinded and be focused on any singular performer for the interpretation of all the pieces in the classical repertoire - Gould might outdo Horowitz in performing the 'Emperor Concerto' (Beethoven) and Gilels in playing Bach's 'French Suites', but when it comes to pieces like Beethoven's "The Tempest," his staccato is not in its right medium and becomes a cat's play compared to the powerful fingers of Richter.
(I have heard over one hundred pieces by Gould and could barely notice his humming. Why? Because I hum with him! So please do not complain since a real classical listener should not even notice the humming. Imagine listening to someone talking and at the same time listening to Bach. As far as I am concerned, you shouldn't even be able to notice that that person even exists)

Pianist Music From The Motion
Pianist Music From The Motion
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 37.95
7 used & new from CDN$ 1.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Extra-ordinary. Profuse Exaggeration., June 24 2003
The sole purpose of my review is to address the incorrect statements of many reviewers who claim that this CD is extra-ordinary.
I have listened to myriad of works by various composers and performers and would like to assure you that Janusz Olejniczak, the pianist for this CD, is in no way a great pianist. I was listening to one of Nocturnes of Chopin during the movie. When my faviorite part came, I thought that the pianist was playing with wooden fingers - while the quality of the created sound was ok, the tempo was absolutely unacceptable, making the entire segment sound not like Chopin, but a devastating disfigurement accomplished by the pianist who tried to 'interpret' the piece his own way.
For those of you who would like to hear the best pianists, just listen to several works by Richter, Gilels, or Rubinstein. After listening to their works, I am sure that you will find yourself ignorant to praise so much Olejniczak.
The claim that Chopin is the best composer is also a very ignorant statement. I'm afraid that the reason that the composer for this movie is Chopin is because his parents were Jews (who renounced Judaism making Chopin a Jew only by nationality, not religion). No argument, Chopin is a great composer, but that doesn't mean he is the greatest. Those of you who think so, go and listen to Bach's "Prelude in B Minor" performed by Gilels. Or 'Goldberg Variations' by Glenn Gould - they will deprive you of your classical virginity.
The main point is if you want to eat whatever you are fed, then it is ok to get this CD. However, if you prefer to discover the classical music in its full beauty, start with light classical performed by extra-ordinary pianists with no equals born.

Film Music of Ennio Morricone, Vol. 1
Film Music of Ennio Morricone, Vol. 1
Price: CDN$ 12.93
18 used & new from CDN$ 9.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of Morricone, but good(however watch out # 12!), Feb. 15 2002
This is a good CD, but I gave it 4 stars because it is not the greatest. Morricone can do, and does, much better than this. However, I don't regret that I bought this CD. To make your choice easier I outlined the best performances on this CD below. Judge yourself. And from this list,track #12 is the best. It is so good, so gentle, and fragile, that it will disintegrate your heart(if you really love someone, but did not tell him/her about your feelings, be careful from this track, you might get a heart attack! No kidding).
3. The Sicilian Clan: The Sicilian Clan
4. The Life And Times Of David Lloyd George (BBC TV): Chi Mai
6. Moscow Farewell: Moscow Farewell
8. Lady Caliph: Lady Caliph
12. For Love One Can Die: For Love One Can Die
13. Sacco And Vanzetti: Sacco And Vanzetti
17. The Mission: On Earth As It Is In Heaven (Remix)

Beyond 2001: Resurrection
Beyond 2001: Resurrection
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 32.95
4 used & new from CDN$ 3.63

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best, Nov. 5 2000
This is my first trance/techno CD. I bought this CD only because I read this wonderful reviews. I am glad that there were reviewers that rated this CD as needed, cuz thanx to them I bought it and didn't miss the chance of enjoying it. I can describe this CD by one word -Superior. This is great CD for dancing. I am using it also during my training (I am lifting weights)which gives me additional energy and enthusiasm. This CD needs high volume to scream, so if you got one of those damned neighbors that complain of high volume and you usually afraid of them to raise the volume then you won't get the WHOLE energy that this CD CAN OFFER, but still you will be very satisfied. So if you got such problem take this CD and listen it in the car, IT WILL BLOW YOUR WHOLE MIND. Turn it on when you're in freeway and you're car will fly like an eagle, you'll forget about your brakes. The tracks on this CD are arranged so that every track seems to continue the previous one, you barely can mention that track ended before the other starts. Many people know Trance[]Control's work from Internet downloads. Their "Atomic Dance Explosion", which is not on this CD, is VERY FAMOUS, so check it out on the web. All tracks on this CD are very cool, even the intro got very cool bits. One of the excellent tracks on this CD is "At 6pm", which many reviewers mentioned already. These guys already got new sponsor and are working on their new CD. They gonna rock even harder with their new CD, there's no doubt.

Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water
Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water
Price: CDN$ 11.30
58 used & new from CDN$ 0.46

3.0 out of 5 stars My Generation, Oct. 20 2000
I heard only 3 songs from this CD and the song "My Generation" was the coolest so far. "The One" is not bad but it's not real Limp Bizkit, it's little bit weak. "Full Nelson" is also cool song, it's more kind of rap sang with other rappers.

Elton John's Road To El Dorado
Elton John's Road To El Dorado
Price: CDN$ 15.91
20 used & new from CDN$ 3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Elton John again released very good album, April 30 2000
This album is very succesful as Elton John's most albums. Such songs as Tha Panic in me, Without Question, Friends Never say Goodbye are very good ones. A lot of people look for such good songs. In this album can be at most 4 songs that will not satisfy some people but listening the whole CD will make clear that very good songs are much more than just fine songs and that gives to album one more plus.