Profile for HardyBoy64 > Reviews

Content by HardyBoy64

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

HardyBoy64 "RLC" (Rexburg, ID United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Lead With Your Heart
Lead With Your Heart
Price: CDN$ 10.00
37 used & new from CDN$ 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I just could not WAIT!, Dec 7 2012
This review is from: Lead With Your Heart (Audio CD)
I'm from the USA but I had to get this CD as soon as it became available in Canada. It showcases the amazing voices of these four men. My only hope is that
we don't have to wait several more years for another CD. There is quite a bit of variety on this CD so I'd have a hard time naming my favorite track because
it may depend on my mood. One thing is for certain: the vocals are stunning.

The Border Trilogy: All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, Cities of the Plain
The Border Trilogy: All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, Cities of the Plain
by Cormac McCarthy
Price: CDN$ 25.08
29 used & new from CDN$ 11.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as other reviewers say..., July 19 2004
Okay, I'll start this review by saying that I'm glad I read this trilogy. However, I don't understand the 5-star ratings. McCarthy's writing is inaccurate. It's one thing to put poor grammar and incomplete ideas in the uneducated speech of the protagonists, but when the descriptions include these errors, it's quite disturbing. He LOVES subject pronouns (HE, SHE, etc) and at times the reader has no idea who "HE" is. The writing is surprisingly unclear at times, peppered with incomplete sentences. Also, the writing is full of Spanish sentences that he does not explain to the non-Spanish speaking reader. I speak Spanish, so this didn't bother me. However, the poor and inaccurate Spanish grammar in the mouths of Spanish speakers did.
Here is my breakdown of each of the novels:
1) ALL THE PRETTY HORSES: I enjoyed the story, but the conclusion was weak and not convincing.
2) THE CROSSING: By far the most annoying of the three books. The random episodes, the ambiguity of characters, the philosophical meanderings of certain characters, and the stark and long descriptive passages were almost too much to handle. The first 100+ pages are about Billy and a wolf! Needless to say, not a very exciting beginning.
3) CITIES OF THE PLAINS: The fastest-paced story of the three and the most engaging. The novel's conclusion, however, is ruined by a HORRIBLE 25-page epilogue that mirrors the long, philosophical "meaning of life" passages that doom THE CROSSING. Without this ending, the plot of this novel is the most exciting.

O Pioneers! (Vintage Classics)
O Pioneers! (Vintage Classics)
by Willa Cather
44 used & new from CDN$ 2.13

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, June 4 2004
After having read "My Antonia", I wanted to read more Cather, so I read this book. I was not disappointed. The writing is beautiful and the characters memorable. Alexandra is a great yet flawed protagonist and her struggles throughout her life reflect the universal struggles that occupy us all. Some reviewer called this book "dated" and I strongly disagree. There is something here for all human beings living in 2004.

The Dreamer
The Dreamer
Offered by dodax-online
Price: CDN$ 15.67
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars What? No Star-Spangled Banner?, May 28 2004
This review is from: The Dreamer (Audio CD)
The best Tamyra has ever sounded was when she sang the national anthem on the AI3 final. Her voice was so smooth and solid. Her confidence as a performer floored me. Her creative ending to the song, spanning the 88 keys of a baby grand, was pure musical magic. I'm disappointed that she didn't include this song on this CD. What a shame.

Andersonville
Andersonville
by MacKinlay Kantor
Price: CDN$ 18.18
50 used & new from CDN$ 3.06

4.0 out of 5 stars An honest review, May 14 2004
This review is from: Andersonville (Paperback)
This novel is just too long. There are beautiful, compelling, heart-wrenching,and inspirational moments. Kantor at times demonstrates a fine ability to evoke certain images.
The problem is that not every episode is captivating and the reader often has to wade through pages and pages before reaching the "literary payoff". At times I wondered if I would ever finish the novel. A decent editor could have trimmed this book by 200-300 pages and I believe the novel's impact would not have been changed. I do recommend reading this novel, but with reservations.

In the Pond: A Novel
In the Pond: A Novel
by Ha Jin
Price: CDN$ 11.64
65 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning about China..., April 27 2004
This review is from: In the Pond: A Novel (Paperback)
Not knowing much about China and its culture, I'm glad that my book club chose this novel to read. It was enlightening and comical. 4 stars.

Autobiography Of Mark Twain
Autobiography Of Mark Twain
by Mark Twain
Price: CDN$ 14.43
56 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Melancholic and humorous..., April 8 2004
I recommend reading this autobiography, although I do think it is too long and certain sections could have been eliminated.
There are some extremely funny episodes, but for me the most powerful writing was the last chapter about the death of his daughter Jean. It is an extremely moving glimpse into Twain's heartfelt pain. Reading this life story has made me want to revisit the high school classics of Huck Finn and Mark Twain.
4 stars.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Price: CDN$ 13.89
48 used & new from CDN$ 3.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular!, April 3 2004
If you only buy one LOTR soundtracks, this is the one to get.
However, I love all three soundtracks. This soundtrack has more
mellow, pensive moments than the other two and these orchestral pieces are graceful, subtle and touching. And you have to love Annie Lennox to end the soundtrack!

8th World Wonder
8th World Wonder
Price: CDN$ 8.04
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Plue birds fly..., April 3 2004
This review is from: 8th World Wonder (Audio CD)
I love her voice but the production of this single, while not horrid, is far from perfect. I swear she sings "Plue birds fly" at one point of "Somewhere over the rainbow".
Oh well.

Against All Enemies: Inside America's War On Terror.
Against All Enemies: Inside America's War On Terror.
by Richard A. Clarke
97 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Please!, March 27 2004
This man likes the sound of his own voice, but I certainly don't
when he's willing to say ANYTHING to sell a few books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10