ARRAY(0xaa8a8708)

Profile for S. Azzouz > Reviews

Content by S. Azzouz

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

S. Azzouz (Tetouan, Morocco)

Couscous And Other Good Food From Morocco
Couscous And Other Good Food From Morocco
by Paula Wolfert
Price: CDN$ 15.67
39 used & new from CDN$ 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The best and most authentic book on Moroccan food!, Jan. 26 2001
I can not praise this book enough! It deserves more than 5 stars! The recipes are wonderful and truly AUTHENTIC; the ingredients are simple and easy to find in any market or store. And the recipes are delicious! They take me back to Morocco! I love the fact that the book is not only recipes but little facts, stories, adventures and knowledge about Morocco as well. It reads as a cookbook and a story book all in one! I envy all the years she got to spend there and the knowledge she learned from the other cooks in Morocco! This book is a MUST for anyone who loves to try different foods and especially if you have a Moroccan friend, fiance or husband. They will be suitably impressed with your skill and will wonder where you learned how to make the food! My husband absolutely loves that I have learned how to cook some dishes that he is used to eating in his homeland. I also recommend if you get this book, get Kitty Morse's as well; they go hand in hand like a set. You will have a good Moroccan food base to cook for quite some time to come!

Lonely Planet Moroccan Arabic Phrasebook
Lonely Planet Moroccan Arabic Phrasebook
by Dan Bacon
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, it sure impressed my Moroccan HUSBAND!, Jan. 24 2001
My husband and I have both gone over the book and were quite suprised and pleased at the accuracy. Moroccan arabic is a VERY different dialect from the traditional and Egyptian arabic, so if you are hoping to use this book to communicate with other arabic speakers that are NOT from Morocco, forget it. They will not understand you(although, some Algerians and Tunisians might as many Moroccans live there and the language is a little similar), so don't buy it if you want to communicate with non-Moroccans. I bought the travel pack which included the book, audio cassette and a little lesson book, that doubles as the cassettes's cover. Although, it is true: it is not for conversations or to learn the actual language from; it is mainly travel dialog and gettin' around stuff to say but I have in a pinch been able to use it on my husband with fantastic results. NOTE: this dialect is not spoken all through Morocco. There are several dialects of arabic spoken there. This particular dialect is spoken in Casablanca, Agadir and around there-'bouts. Different regions speak different dialects but most Moroccans should be able to understand you, from what my hubby says. I did have a couple of disappointments though; for one, the book's transliteration is a little strange on some of the words but nothing crucial, you will still be understood. I read arabic and some pages includes the arabic script of the sentences, so I could read that and understand more. Secondly, I wish there was MORE dialog or a part 2!! Third, if you buy the cassette with it, sadly, it does NOT cover anything in the book. My husband and I agree that it is an excellent book and well worth the price but if it is too hard for you to learn it and you are going to Morocco: learn Spanish or French. At least 95% of the population knows them as they are considered the main 4 languages of the land: Arabic, French, Spanish(Spain dialect-not Mexican Spanish), and Berber. If you are getting it to learn for a Moroccan husband or boyfriend, it will slightly help but you will not learn the language or how to speak to him from this book but it's a good reference to have on hand anyway! It has helped me! (get the cassette, too!)