Profile for ScrabbleMaven > Reviews

Content by ScrabbleMaven

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

ScrabbleMaven (St. Kitts, Caribbean)

Page: 1 | 2
Syberia 2
Syberia 2
Offered by 1stVideo
Price: CDN$ 10.98
7 used & new from CDN$ 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Game!, May 28 2004
This review is from: Syberia 2 (CD-ROM)
All of the other reviewers have said so much about the game - its triumphs and flaws. I have read most of them. I do not always agree with what they say the 'effect' of the things they have pointed out is, but the things they point out are for the most part accurate.
That having been said, I loved this game. I think it is a masterpiece. For clarification when I say the game, I mean Syberia and Syberia 2. It is one whole story and you need both parts. No exception.
I KNOW there will not be a sequel, and it is testimony to the creator and the developers that I still find myself wishing there were. I can't wait for Mr. Sokal's next offering.

Amadeus (2-Disc Special Edition / Director's Cut)
Amadeus (2-Disc Special Edition / Director's Cut)
DVD ~ F. Murray Abraham
Price: CDN$ 20.08
28 used & new from CDN$ 9.93

5.0 out of 5 stars MASTERPIECE THEATRE!, Dec 8 2003
Others have so aptly described this film that there is not much more to say save that it is a masterpiece, magnificent, stupendous, absorbing, astounding - so many complimentary adjectives and superlatives can and ought to be further attributed to this feature. Director, producer, actors, costumiers - everyone having anything to do with this film richly deserve all accolades bestowed and more. I recommend that you buy and watch over and over again.

Forrest Gump (Two-Disc Special Collector's Edition) [Import]
Forrest Gump (Two-Disc Special Collector's Edition) [Import]
DVD ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by BoxOffice
Price: CDN$ 17.97
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars SURPRISINGLY EXCELLENT!, Dec 8 2003
I never expected to like this movie. I thought it was more hype than substance. Since that ill-conceived little notion, I have watched this movie over and over, never tiring of it. This is the mark of a true classic - when you find yourself slipping it into the VCR/DVD every so often. It is for me a movie that will endure and I highly recommend it.

Braveheart (Widescreen) [Import]
Braveheart (Widescreen) [Import]
DVD ~ Mel Gibson
Offered by Tons of Clay Music
Price: CDN$ 18.99
54 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY MAGNIFICENT!!!, Dec 8 2003
I recommend that everybody watch this movie. It is truly an epic and worthy of every award it received and probably more. I will not wax lengthy, as other reviewers have quite ably reviewed the film. But I will say this ... I first saw it on TV, bought it on VHS, and upgraded to DVD without hesitation as soon as it became available. That ought to tell you something.

Signs
Signs
VHS
10 used & new from CDN$ 2.79

2.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING in the EXTREME!, Aug. 10 2003
This review is from: Signs (VHS Tape)
I am only writing this review because all the reviews on the DVD's "home page" appear to be favourable. Maybe this one won't fall through the cracks like the other "not so hot' reviews appear to have done.
I like Mel Gibson - a LOT. As for Shamayalan, I was impressed by The Sixth Sense. I was not as delighted with Unbreakable but it was by no means shabby.
Signs is NOT good. Shamayalan does too much of the same in this movie and it does not have the same (or better) effect of the other two of his films mentioned here.
The aliens were good. Creepy and horrid. That was the only good thing about this movie and their appearance got the generous 2 stars I have given here. My apologies to Mel - even he couldn't save it.
The plot is laughable - but wry, sad laughter, because it had such potential. It began slowly and continued to drag. It seemed much too long and was indeed much too tedious.
I hope this Director does some soul searching. The movie didn't do that well at the movies and the critics didn't like it. And I am forced to agree with the critics (ugh!) this time around.
Read the Editor's Review that calls this a "B" movie. True words these are. Heed them.

Breath of Fire 2 - Game Boy Advance
Breath of Fire 2 - Game Boy Advance
9 used & new from CDN$ 41.95

1.0 out of 5 stars GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT!!!, Aug. 4 2003
I bought this game a few years ago for the SNES after playing BOF1. I was looking for more of that wonderful gameplay in the first classsic game. I was terribly disappointed and I endorse the comments of the other reviewer from Valencia, CA USA. I quote them immediately below.
*******************
"The sequel to one of the best rpg games with the best story line is a total and complete flop. breath of fire 2 does not follow anything even remotly like a story and is not in any way realated to the first game.the game should have had some thing to do with defeating Tyr after she comes back at the end of Breath of Fire 1. the fighting is different and when i tried to select a enemy to fight out of 3 enemies, i ended up shooting myself. what is probably the worst part about fighting is when you meet a new enemy. you can't see how much health they have so it is frustarating not knowing how long until you kill them. the graphics are horrible and are worse than any game i have ever played. the hunting in this game is extremly disipointing and you spend the time waiting for a deer or boar to come out of the grass. if you are looking for a good RPG, play Breath of Fire 1 or Golden Sun"
*********************
Additionally, the storyline (what there is of it) is horrid. It is not even a true sequel, but seems to be an attempt by the company to simply capitalise on the success of the first without too much effort. In short people. Do NOT buy this game.

Minority Report [Import]
Minority Report [Import]
VHS
7 used & new from CDN$ 0.67

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!, July 29 2003
I won't go into a whole review of the movie because so many others have done it - and very ably. I will say this though.
I don't like Tom Cruise generally, and Spielberg's "AI" was SO disappointing to me that I thought this would be more of the same.
What a shock!
I REALLY liked this movie. I actually thought it deserved 4.5 stars not 5, but I couldn't bring myself to give it 4 stars, because it really is better than a 4. You won't be disappointed if you buy it. Good story, good editing, a kind of "it-could-happen" type movie. All I can say is ... bring on the popcorn!

The 10th Kingdom (Full Screen)
The 10th Kingdom (Full Screen)
DVD ~ Kimberly Williams-Paisley
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 136.47
7 used & new from CDN$ 11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars ...AND WORTH EVERY ONE OF THEM!, July 9 2003
A thoroughly enchanting tale.
I began watching it on NBC when it first aired and missed the third instalment. I didn't want to spoil it for myself, so I refused to watch the others and immediately bought it on VHS from ncb.com. I have since bought it again on DVD from amazon. Can you tell I love the movie???
Anyway, the characters are all fabulous. All have depth and all give sterling performances. My favourite scene (there are so many) is the courthouse (what a jury!). In fact I loved the entire farming village portion of the movie.
The engagement ring is a real scene stealer - imagine a RING stealing scenes. That could only happen in a fairy tale!
The "ratings bust" referred to in the editorial I believe came about because it was so long. Hard to get home every night for 6 nights at the same time to catch this epic. (Don't bother to mention 'Roots'. Those were different times and a completely different matter altogether).
The saddest part of the lack of good ratings is that it will probably retard (or completely prevent) another instalment. If the Video/DVD is selling as well as I think it is though, who knows, we just might get a straight to DVD sequel.
I certainly hope that Virginia keeps her subtle "promise", made at the end, of "... another story".

Cinderella 2: Dreams Come True (Widescreen)
Cinderella 2: Dreams Come True (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Jennifer Hale
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 55.92
17 used & new from CDN$ 3.24

1.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETE Waste of Time!, May 14 2003
I gave it 1 star only because I couldn't give it 0. And I am a Disney fan. Boring and completely unrealistic storyline. Dull characters. This was so obviously simply a money-maker to shore up the bottom-line in some particular month that Disney ought to be ashamed. We expect quality from that company and it shouldn't disappoint with such flagrantly low quality output.

Aztec
Aztec
by Gary Jennings
Edition: Library Binding
8 used & new from CDN$ 18.30

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure, Aug. 28 2000
This review is from: Aztec (Library Binding)
I read this book while I was 15 years old and still in HighSchool. I still have that book, and today, I am purchasing "Aztec" in hardcover from amazon.com.
This book shall last through the generations of my family (if I have to force it down their throats AND make them chew). A WONDERFUL story based on fact with multi-layered characters, amazing imagery AND (just to astound us more) historically correct (with a little room for author's invention).
An epic. I dream of and dread a movie. Buy it (or borrow it ...gasp) and read it. You will not regret it.

Page: 1 | 2