Profile for F. M. Polson > Reviews

Content by F. M. Polson

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

F. M. Polson (Canada)

Stargate SG-1: The Cost of Honor: SG1-5
Stargate SG-1: The Cost of Honor: SG1-5
by Sally Malcolm
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.95
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Sept. 24 2009
This book, along with A Matter of Honor, the part 1 to this story, are probably the best SG-1 books out there at the moment. Don't buy one without the other - you'll go insane on the cliff hanger. Get them both and block off some time! I was completely swept up in these books, emotionally and in my imagination. Good writing, good plot, good everything. If you're an SG-1 fan, don't miss out on these.

Stargate SG-1: Hydra :SG1-13
Stargate SG-1: Hydra :SG1-13
by Holly Scott
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 8.50
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

2.0 out of 5 stars Hydraplane past this one, Sept. 24 2009
I'm an avid sci fi reader and usually I can devour a SG-1 book inside a few hours but this book took me three months to slug through. I heard it won some awards, I don't know why. The first half of the book is spent following everyone BUT SG-1. Then when we finally catch up with our heros, everything is so jumbled and confused by the alternative SG-1's running around that you have to reread several sections and chapters just to figure out which team you're following. Once, after one character refers to another's death, I went back and reread three chapters trying to figure out when we learn about that character's death. Turns out we don't learn about that death until two chapters AFTER the reference. It was frustrating, slow going and painful. It's not the worst book I've ever read, but it's time I can never get back. At least until I can build a decent time machine (and when I do, erasing this mistake will be high on my list of things to do).

The verdict: If you're a hardcore Stargate fan like me, go ahead and buy it, prop it up on the shelf but don't bother cracking it open. If you're just a moderate fan, skip this one.

Mirror's Edge
Mirror's Edge
Offered by POSTED FROM UK UNITED KINGDOM!!
Price: CDN$ 14.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty fun but too short!, Sept. 24 2009
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mirror's Edge (DVD-ROM)
Once I installed the right graphics card, I had a lot of fun playing this game. I found it easy enough to get the hang of and found it shot my adrenaline right up there when I ran into a bit of trouble!

The basic format is you're running across roof tops, jumping, sliding, falling, rolling and occationally you end up fighting a cop or two, though generally it's better to simply run past the law instead of engaging them. It is not excessively violent, especially if you choose to run instead of engage in combat. What I think I liked most about recieving damage is if you keep yourself out of trouble for a few seconds, you return to full health. No searching for powerups and health packs, which is old and annoying. You do have to find some runner bags, but the game does not depend on this - you can still finish if you never get more than the first bag (which is a freebee) and all bags have a mark near by to indicate you oughta look more closely at your surroundings. This is helpful because you are on the run and you don't always have time to investigate every nook and cranny around you.

You also don't have to collect lives. You can die a hundred times, reset to the last checkpoint and go again. No playing for three hours, dying on your last life and getting sent back to the beginning. The frustration level in this game is low, but the challenges are still interesting and, well, a challenge. My only complaint with the game is it was too short. I finished it in ten hours. Would love to see a second installment that goes on longer. The concept is very cool and kept me on the edge of my seat for most of the game.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Bilingual Full Screen Edition)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Bilingual Full Screen Edition)
Offered by vidco
Price: CDN$ 5.00
17 used & new from CDN$ 1.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Harry Potter, April 4 2008
This movie tended to drag at some points - not unlike the book. There was so much set up that had to happen before the confrontation with Voldemort that the movie suffered actionwise. However, I still enjoyed it because it is still Harry Potter and the story is fantastic. Though I recommend to read the book first so that you do understand some of the backstory and the extra lore around the prophecy. There was way too much information to cram into the movie; this no doubt will be the the most difficult transition of all the Harry Potter books.