Profile for Clever > Reviews

Content by Clever

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Clever "clever-esque" (Canada)

Love the One You're With
Love the One You're With
by Emily Giffin
Price: CDN$ 12.26
163 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish it., June 16 2009
To be honest, I've disliked Emily Giffin's books in the past but I was intrigued by the title of this one. I love chick lit, so I figured I could give her writing another shot.

This novel has the most irritatingly written main character and, as others have stated, completely selfish. Her "moody bad boy" love is just very typical and boring. I just skimmed through the book after the first two chapters and couldn't even get into it.

Emily Giffin keeps getting on the bestsellers list and I seriously do not understand why. She always pens characters that I just hate and I wonder if this is a strong reflection of the type of person Ms. Giffin actually is.

In any case, don't waste your money. If you're really jonesing to read this, borrow it from the library first.

Serenity (Widescreen Edition) (Sous-titres français)
Serenity (Widescreen Edition) (Sous-titres français)
DVD ~ Nathan Fillion
Price: CDN$ 6.88
56 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply put...., July 11 2006
I LOVED SERENITY. The humour, the action, the characters, the plot. All of that was very well executed. You wouldn't expect anything like Serenity to come your way, due to the bland, predictable big smash films out in Hollywood, but when you watch a film like Serenity, it just blows you away. River is the main focus of the film, as she's the biggest mystery left off from the cancelled Firefly. I enjoyed watching River/Summer Glau's fight sequences, she did them so smoothly and beautifully. Mal/Nathan Fillion is another great actor, who delivers the humour when you least expect it. The DVDs extras are great too, although I am a little disappointed about the commentary. There's one scene that was so shocking, after watching Serenity in theatres, that I knew I had to hear the commentary for but Joss Whedon, sadly, did not say much about it. Serenity's commentary wasn't as interesting as Firefly's dvd set was, since it's only Joss. In any case, fabulous movie.

I own Serenity, and honestly, it's one of the few DVDs I've been truly excited and happy to have gotten.

Crow Lake
Crow Lake
by Mary Lawson
Price: CDN$ 15.33
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Crow Lake, Dec 26 2005
This review is from: Crow Lake (Paperback)
My English class had this book as required reading. At first it seemed like Crow Lake would be another one of those boring school assigned reads, in which we're forced to analyze every bit of it. However, by the time it was about Chapter 4, I was really into it. The characters are very intriguing, especially Matt. Although Bo is not throughly described in almost the entire book, as she is a baby in most parts, I consider her one of my favourite characters. Kate was probably my least favourite because of how stubborn she is, and her reactions/comparisions to/of Daniel and Matt. The things that happen throughout the novel and the feelings of Kate, the narrator, are very...whoa. I'm not sure what word to use to describe it.
Crow Lake has the ability to pull in readers of all ages and that's what makes it a good novel. However, I gave this book only 4 out of 5 because I did not like the ending.

The O.C. Novelization #1: The Outsider
The O.C. Novelization #1: The Outsider
by Cory Martin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Neh., Jan. 10 2005
It was a pretty crappy novelization if you ask me. First of all, it was based on a whole load of episodes but ended up coming at about, what, 200 pages? and the price is pretty steep for a short book. I think the author needs to write out the characters better. It seems like they only read scripts and didn't really know the characters. Watch the show, don't bother buying the books.

The Dance
The Dance
by Craig Hillman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving 'The Dance', Aug. 29 2004
This review is from: The Dance (Mass Market Paperback)
This book took me a while to find on the site and hopefully I'll be able to buy it from a seller soon. I read this book maybe 3 years ago and I haven't forgotten about it since. The stories are interesting and you get absorbed in the book.