Profile for M. Ford > Reviews

Content by M. Ford

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

M. Ford

Price: CDN$ 30.98
11 used & new from CDN$ 27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mans Drama, Sept. 21 2010
The show:
If movies could have babies, then this is the child of Gladiator and 300. If you have interest in either of those 2 movies, than this show is up your ally. It's all things Gladiator with "ridiculous" 300 blood/gore effects. The blood effects can at times be a tad bit overdone. In some scenes the blood is so obviously fake, that it actually looks computer animated. When I started watching the show for the first time, the blood effects almost made me stop watching after episode 2-3. But I'm glad to say I stuck with it because this show is amazingly good. The characters, the plot, the twists, all make for an epic experience. Over time either the blood effects got better, or I became so immersed with the story that I ceased to notice the cheesy blood anymore.

The product:
I just picked this up at my local HMV. Standing there with a DVD copy in my left hand and a Bluray copy in my right hand, I was curious as to whether or not the extra $10 would be worth it for the bluray copy. Scanning the back of both cases I noticed there were more extra features included on the bluray copy as well as details which claimed the BR copy to have full 1080p resolution and "true" 5.1 dolby digital. With those differences in mind, I decided to purchase the BR copy. After opening the product, I'm happy to say I made the right choice for another reason other than the features and audio/video quality...and that would be the packaging.

What the picture above doesn't clearly show you, is that the show is packaged like a hard cover book. It opens up with a cardboard, accordion-like set of "pages". Each page is a sleeve which the disk is kept in. The cardboard is well glossed and quite smooth, however, for anyone that has purchased a tv series kept in a cardboard sleeve format before, you might know the inherent issues with the disks becoming scratched over time. Anyone whose read reviews for the Starget SG1 complete boxset has likely read about the DVDs becoming so badly scratched that they were eventually unreadable.

So needless to say I was quite happy with myself for buying the BR copy. BR disks have a much higher scratch resistance to that of their DVD counterpart.

Farscape: The Complete Series
Farscape: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Ben Browder
Offered by BEARDOS BAZAAR
Price: CDN$ 76.78
19 used & new from CDN$ 59.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Just recieved my copy!, Nov. 19 2009
Well it's been less than an hour since the UPS guy left my doorway, and I figured I'd come and speak up about my new purchase.

Lets just say I've been wanting to own this series for a long time now. It was this time last month I finally decided I'd break down and cash out $350-500 and add this gem of a series to my collection. During my price comparison search I happened along the Amazon pre-order for the re-release, and thank my lucky stars I did. Now for only a fraction of the original price, I own one of the most original sci-fi tv shows to ever grace my television. I got it bundled with Peacekeeper Wars to not only give me a reduction on the total price, but to complete the entire experience.

On to the product.

It's a hologram boxset, something you can't tell by just looking at the picture above. Inside the box are 5 dvd cases, all of which also contain hologram covers of their own (each featuring a certain cast member). Cases 1-4 are for their respective seasons, each containing 6 disks a piece. Case 5 contains numerous special features on 2 disks. There is reportedly over 15hrs of special features included in this set, scattered across all the disks. And I honestly can't wait to watch every minute of them.

I'm not going to go into detail about the series itself....that kind of info can be found all over the net. But for anyone that is a fan of the show, but like me, had a hard time justifying it's original price tag. Those days are gone my friends!

This is a must buy for anyone looking to truly complete their sci-fi collection.

edit:
Adding in a correction. I know I mentioned "hologram" to describe the box and dvd cases. It's not "hologram" in terms of shifting images. I just couldn't remember the term used to describe the effect. Same sort of effect you would see on collectable marvel or baseball cards. That glossy, tin foil effect. Sorry for any confusion.