Profile for mass_nerder > Reviews

Content by mass_nerder

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"mass_nerder" (Panama City, FL United States)

Sams Teach Yourself Shell Programming in 24 Hours (2nd Edition)
Sams Teach Yourself Shell Programming in 24 Hours (2nd Edition)
by Sriranga Veeraraghavan
Price: CDN$ 26.45
15 used & new from CDN$ 26.45

2.0 out of 5 stars not what i expected ......, July 16 2003
Great for the first time shell user, but if you know your way around @ all ....... you'll find more info in the man pages --- this is one of those long, drawn out lesson by lesson books.....
By the end of the book --- you really haven't learned more than you could from any of the various "bible or unleashed" books ... except this is non-distro specifac .....
Waste of Money

Learning GNU Emacs
Learning GNU Emacs
by Debra Cameron
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuff you never knew even existed plus Eric Raymond :), July 16 2003
This review is from: Learning GNU Emacs (Paperback)
Great book .... I've used emacs for 4 years (right around) and i've gained a wealth of knowledge that i never knew .... So; if your going to use Emacs -- get this ... actually I'd get the 3rd edition -- but you still can't go wrong with this -- even if you are using 21.3 ;-)
Plus Eric Raymond even has contribution involved (can't help it ... I'm a fan) so had to mention that.

The Complete FreeBSD: Documentation from the Source
The Complete FreeBSD: Documentation from the Source
by Greg Lehey
Price: CDN$ 36.33
30 used & new from CDN$ 4.35

4.0 out of 5 stars alot of n00b info but not too bad, July 16 2003
If you buy this and know your way around any of the other *nixes somewhat ..... I'd read it backwards ..... in fact the new method of compiling the kernel isn't until the last chapter. There is quite a bit of info that's not available in the handbook (online) but its mainly "author insight/method's" .... I've found very little of it useful myself ..... but anyone new to FreeBSD should find it "almost flawless" .. If you know your way aruond and want to get into the finer details (kernel, ports, etc) i'd get Absolute BSD -- Michael Lucas, it'll cover what this one doesn't and ... better yet ... it never hurts to buy them both !!!!

Fake Sound Of Progress
Fake Sound Of Progress
Price: CDN$ 9.49
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars is it stuck in my cd-player? or is it me ...., July 16 2003
This review is from: Fake Sound Of Progress (Audio CD)
Out of all the bands I listen too -- and there are many -- my favorite which is Descendents/ALL and any of the spin-offs (i.e.Pavers,Goodbye Harry) ... All i can say is ... TALENTED and I've not been able to take it out of my CD-Player ... , and whomever has compared these guys to Incubus or any of the like, which I happen to see alot of; they're obviously either 1. not really listening to the what's going on or 2. just in tune with the trend
but I'm also a musician so .... I judge talent from HarryConnickJR on .........

Absolute BSD: The Ultimate Guide to FreeBSD
Absolute BSD: The Ultimate Guide to FreeBSD
by Michael Lucas
Price: CDN$ 39.03
24 used & new from CDN$ 4.51

5.0 out of 5 stars definately worth the purchase, July 16 2003
Out of the BSD books I've purchased .... while most are aimed at first timers .... this one jumps straight into the Kernel && buildworld -- and that's the best way / approach for me; epecially when the OS will work better when built by you & for your machine ...... Not to mention the detailed section of using ports is also satisfactory ..... even for a seasoned BSD user....
It really depends on whether or not you want to thumb through the usual 200pgs of how to cd & ls ... or "get straight to it" .,
Not to mention ... the humor of Michael Lucas is fantastic ... and that's few and far between when it comes to technical manuals / guides ....
Well worth the buy !!!!!

Unix Power Tools
Unix Power Tools
by Jerry Peek
Price: CDN$ 49.50
26 used & new from CDN$ 13.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I wanted to know; but even more I probably didn't, July 16 2003
This review is from: Unix Power Tools (Paperback)
Have to say it; but if you've been let down by these other books --i.e. going into long beginer tips and how to "set up KDE" and the likes ...... this one book probably has more usefull information than the 31 other books I've collected over the past year or so on the same info .......... BUY IT@!!!!!!
I don't regret it for a second ..... everyday i've had it (about 3 months) i've randomly opened a page and learned something that usually i didn't even know was possible ( and I've been using Unix/Linux for almost 4 years or more -- Linux meaning Slackware, and Unix meaning the BSD's )
I'm rather impressed none-the-less!!!!

Chip
Chip
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 13.47
10 used & new from CDN$ 12.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Allroy's Revenge Re-Visited, May 7 2003
This review is from: Chip (Audio CD)
About the closest thing you'll find to resemble the style of ALL-Allroy's Revenge ........ to catchy to describe ..... the bass lines just like Alvarez's style .... just too overwhelming!!!! Actually Peach Tree is the better of the two ( My Opinion ) .... but both equal in talent / style ......... GET iT!!!!!!