Profile for David Craig > Reviews

Content by David Craig

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

David Craig (Toronto, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Songs Of Love
Songs Of Love
Offered by BonnieScotland
Price: CDN$ 4.08
20 used & new from CDN$ 4.07

2.0 out of 5 stars Not want I was hoping for, April 21 2014
This review is from: Songs Of Love (Audio CD)
I really like Michael Ball. However I just did not enjoy this CD. There were only a few songs on the CD I liked and the rest seemed dull.

Jesus Christ Super-Star: a Res
Jesus Christ Super-Star: a Res
Price: CDN$ 16.89
24 used & new from CDN$ 1.06

3.0 out of 5 stars Long and not exciting, April 14 2014
I put Jesus Christ Superstar on hold at the library and this version turned up. I had been expecting the soundtrack for the movie.

I listened to this version and overall was very disappointed. Some songs were OK but others were annoying. Perhaps if you are a big fan you will want to own every CD ever made, but in my opinion this is one of the worst ones.

Jesus Christ Superstar Live Arena Tour [Blu-ray]
Jesus Christ Superstar Live Arena Tour [Blu-ray]
Price: CDN$ 18.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, outstandling, April 14 2014
I had just watched the movie from the 70s and thought that I might buy it. But I wanted to know if there had been anything more recent.

I noticed this Arena Tour version but was not sure if it would be as compelling as the movie. Well I just bought it and watched it last weekend. It was fantastic. I agree with the other positive reviews.

Jesus and Judas are both excellent singers and each are comparable to their counterparts in the movie. Melanie C isn't as good as Yvonne Elliman from the movie but she was OK. The surprisingly good news is that every single secondary character in the performance was a good singer. In the movie it was hit and miss with the secondary characters.

Was there a "goosebumps" moment in the production? Yes there was. It was Ben Forsters' rendition of Gethsemane. This is a song that normally I don't care much about. But his rendition turned me into a quivering piece of jelly it was so good. I'm still shaking.

From the movie, Yvonne Elliman's rendition of "I don't know how to love him" was the best song in my opinion. I think Forster's Gethsemane even topped that.

Video and audio quality of the Arena Tour was outstanding.

So should you get the Arena Tour or the 70s movie? I would recommend this over the movie. I think it is better. That said, I will probably pick up the movie version too especially since it is out on Blu-ray.

Maxell BR-LC Blu-ray Lens Cleaner
Maxell BR-LC Blu-ray Lens Cleaner
Price: CDN$ 15.78
18 used & new from CDN$ 10.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Neutral Experience, March 31 2014
I have an Insignia Blu-ray player that stopped playing Blu-ray disks. After a while it even stopped playing DVD disks. I assumed that I would need to buy a new Blu-ray player. However before proceeding with that, I decided to give the Maxell cleaner product a shot.

The product mentions that you just insert the cleaning disk and wait for on-screen menus. My player was not able to read the disk to get to the on-screen menus. I wasn't surprised by that since it didn't seem to be able to read any disk.

I've giving the product a 4/5 just because I don't think it is fair that I should rate the product badly under these circumstances. Based on the other reviews I suspect this cleaner disk probably will work if the player only needs some cleaning. In my case though I believe that my player was far beyond that point.

The product looks like a normal disk but also has three very tiny brushes glued to the surface. I was hoping that these might have been able to clean the player enough so that it could then read the disk and continue to the menus. Alas, no.

Lotus Elise 2nd Edition
Lotus Elise 2nd Edition
by Alastair Clements
Price: CDN$ 39.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 28.48

5.0 out of 5 stars I feel like I designed the Elise, Nov. 30 2012
This book covers the whole history of the Elise project. After reading it you will feel like you were part of the Lotus design team. Its focus is more about the S1 Elise but it does talk about the S2 somewhat.

This was a fun book to read. It was difficult to put down.

Colin Chapman: Inside the Innovator
Colin Chapman: Inside the Innovator
by Karl Ludvigsen
Price: CDN$ 40.95
16 used & new from CDN$ 40.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific background on Chapman and Lotus, Nov. 30 2012
I cannot believe how much detail this book contains on Colin Chapman. There are nearly 400 pages of text. Also every page has a colour photo of either a car or a racing personality.

Well done!

This is a must read if you are into the history of Lotus as a company.

Beyond The Sun Live! (Blu-Ray)
Beyond The Sun Live! (Blu-Ray)
DVD ~ Chris Isaak
Price: CDN$ 15.99
24 used & new from CDN$ 14.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, but no DTS MA, Nov. 30 2012
This was about an hour long. I enjoyed the music and Chris' stage presence. It even included some of the props that I saw in his Toronto concert last month. Those were the burning piano and the large "pretty woman" prop. The image quality was stellar on Blu-ray. My only disappointment was that there was no lossless music track, just normal Dobly 5.1. For that reason alone I am rating this as a 4/5 instead of a 5.

Kingston 19-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-HS219/1
Kingston 19-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-HS219/1
3 used & new from CDN$ 169.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, May 25 2012
I bought this product so that I could read SD memory cards from my camera.

It can read any size of memory card. Without this device my computer could not read 4 GB cards or higher.

This device works with the PS/3 and every computer I have tried.

I now own 3 of these devices since they are so handy.

Celine sur les Plaines (Version française)
Celine sur les Plaines (Version française)
DVD ~ Celine Dion
Price: CDN$ 9.99
28 used & new from CDN$ 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't speak French but still loved the concert, Jan. 14 2009
I am a Celine fan. I've seen her twice live and have a few of her CDs and DVDs.

I bought this DVD for my wife and I this Christmas. I understand very little French. A shame really, since I studied it in school years ago.

Packaging is all in French. The songs are all in French. There are no English subtitles. But, nevertheless, I enjoyed it immensely.

Concert runs for about 2 hours and 50 minutes. There is also 30 minutes of pre-show and 10 minutes of post-show footage.

Watch out for the last half hour of the concert. There are special guests throughout the concert and all are good but, boy, the last half hour features the best of the best, a total explosion of passion.

Alas no Blu-ray of this, but at least the DVD was quite sharp and the Dolby 5.1 soundtrack was solid.

Nothing Lasts Forever
Nothing Lasts Forever
by Roderick Thorp
15 used & new from CDN$ 1.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting background for the Die Hard movie, Oct. 2 2006
This review is from: Nothing Lasts Forever (Hardcover)
The movie Die Hard was based upon this book. Later editions of the book have been retitled as Die Hard.

I am a big fan of the movie, having seen it countless times. I seem to like it more each time I watch it. I even have the John McClane action figure. At least I don't wear an undershirt when I watch the movie. Not yet anyways.

I read this book primarily to compare and contrast it to the movie. Now that I've read it I have these comments. I'd say that about 80 per cent of the movie was derived from the book. Most of the major action sequences were in fact derived from the book. The main difference in the movie is the addition of the tongue-in-cheek humour about the LAPD.

So which is better--the movie or the book? I'd say that the movie is better but that I still very much enjoyed reading the book. So if you are a Die Hard fan you will enjoy reading the book.

If you are reading this book with no intention of ever seeing the movie, you might think the book is average, possibly not worth reading.

Guess what? I also really like the movie Die Hard 2 and I've read 58 minutes by Walter H. Wager, the book on which Die Hard 2 is based. The book 58 minutes is truly sensational. It is a book worth reading even if you never see any of the movies.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3