Profile for Ron H > Reviews

Content by Ron H

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ron H "Ron H" (Oakville, Ontario)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Demonologist
The Demonologist
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, March 14 2013
This review is from: The Demonologist (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this book... Worth the time.

Prose is sharp, story was good.. Unique story that will keep you reading. Four out of five.

The Walking Dead Book 6
The Walking Dead Book 6
Price: CDN$ 23.16
36 used & new from CDN$ 22.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read but I am looking for more story!, March 24 2011
This book continues on all the previous editions and will keep you interested in what continues to be good writing and interesting plotlines. Although I enjoy the series and books immensely I am starting to want more from Kirkman in the series. At this point I think the series is at risk of becoming too repetitive if it is more of find a shelter, get attacked, lose a few people to zombies and other 'bad actors' and repeat. Don't get me wrong, I love the story telling and the action. I thought the introduction of a character that was a scientist and could shed some light on what happened to create the situation and the focus on Washington as a hold-out for knowledge and rebuilding the society had a lot of potential to breathe new direction in the storyline. That storyline was closed off however and we are back to original premise. I will keep reading but I hope Kirkman will pursue some new avenues and stay away from the tried and true that he has already done.

The Walking Dead Book 5
The Walking Dead Book 5
Price: CDN$ 23.16
47 used & new from CDN$ 18.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Good continuation of the story, March 24 2011
For fans of the series they will not be disappointed by this book.. it continues the journey of our group through different trials and tribulations and of course plenty of action and more death by zombie. Enjoyed it and look forward to the next one!

The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1
The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1
Price: CDN$ 29.11
40 used & new from CDN$ 27.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with this choice, March 19 2011
To be honest I didn't know what I was going to get when I bought this... I loved season 1 of the walking dead on AMC but was unsure what the writing would be like or even the format. But I thought it was worth the effort based on the quality of the TV show. As others have written this is a volumous book made up of several years of graphic novels. Don't let the format fool you... although I don't generally read formats like this the story telling was generally very good and I poured through the pages whenever I could.... I was throughly engaged in the story and can't wait to order the sequels to this. Great fun read!

The Walking Dead: Season 1
The Walking Dead: Season 1
DVD ~ Andrew Lincoln
Price: CDN$ 44.98
34 used & new from CDN$ 9.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for season 2, March 16 2011
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Season 1 (DVD)
AMC has done a great job at picking out new series that are engaging and tread new territory. The zombie genre has had lots of storylines but it is truly a backdrop in this storyline and will be a favorite of fans and non-fans of the genre alike. At its core is a story of survival and what's next for a group of people with varying backgrounds and different life stories. With the world turned on its ear how do these people cope and come together in a time of crisis where the normal societal structures are all but gone. Great fun, great writing and a plethora of potential storylines and plots that make you giddy with anticipation as to where the creators will take the storyline!

Love it!!

Megamind (Sous-titres français)
Megamind (Sous-titres français)
DVD ~ Will Ferrell
Price: CDN$ 6.99
12 used & new from CDN$ 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this movie.. great for adults and kids alike, March 15 2011
Very well done movie that takes the overdone image of good guy/ bad guy and turns it on its ear. The authors and writers had a great canvas to create humourous situations and comedy that will appeal to both adults and kids. Like the Shrek series this story can be enjoyed on many different levels.... great original story

Dungeons and Dragons Comp Anim
Dungeons and Dragons Comp Anim
DVD ~ Willie Aames
Price: CDN$ 19.99
29 used & new from CDN$ 10.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun, March 14 2011
This was a cheap price and as I watched the episodes it brought me back to my childhood on Saturday mornings. I watched these with my 4 year old and she loved them as well... She loved Uni and despised the evil Venger. Great fun and for the $[...] or whatever it was a great value.

Unwind
Unwind
by Neal Shusterman
Price: CDN$ 11.72
56 used & new from CDN$ 2.00

2.0 out of 5 stars A little far fetched for me, March 14 2011
This review is from: Unwind (Paperback)
This is a teen book so maybe I should not be so harsh but.... firstly on the positive side Shusterman is a engaging author who keeps the pace moving and creates the desire to turn pages. The drawback for me was that that the story never seemed believable. The story centres on parents who give their kids up for unwinding (organ harvesting) at the age of 16. The premise for society moving this way focused on a few brief comments about a war between pro-life and pro choice lobbies that this was the compromise. Shusterman jumps right into the terror this creates and how some 16 years try to avoid this for them personally and how they change that system. From an underground smuggling railway to other issues. His failure to develop more back story made it hard for the reader to accept the 'new world'. As a parent I have moments with my kids but hard to believe this would be the outcome.

The Grand Design
The Grand Design
by Stephen Hawking
Price: CDN$ 20.69
49 used & new from CDN$ 9.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read for inquisitive minds, March 14 2011
This review is from: The Grand Design (Hardcover)
This is a very good read to understand where the current scientific learning has brought us to understand the universe and how things are as they are. Hawkings and others do a good job visually representing some pretty complex ideas. The book sticks to what we can prove but half the fun leads us to think and extend that learning as to what it may mean. A book that should be read slow and enjoyed!

Fall of Giants: Book One of The Century Trilogy
Fall of Giants: Book One of The Century Trilogy
by Ken Follett
Price: CDN$ 32.00
42 used & new from CDN$ 2.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the time invested, March 14 2011
Ken Follett is not brief but his stories surely hold your interest. Fall of Giants is another winner for this writer. Set pre WW1 and continues up to the end of the conflict it creates an engaging story from several point of views that make the whole patchwork really interesting. From personal stories dealing with marital issues, and class struggles, to the larger societal issues of class warfare, women's suffrage, and political turmoil. The story deals with personal stories and varying perspectives from Russia, Germany, USA and UK... I think most people will enjoy the effort and the ability of Mr. Follett to weave these stories into one unifying story.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4