Profile for Burton Houck > Reviews

Content by Burton Houck

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Burton Houck (East Coast)

The Oil Painting Book: Materials and Techniques for Today's Artist
The Oil Painting Book: Materials and Techniques for Today's Artist
by Bill Creevy
31 used & new from CDN$ 9.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners and done with beautiful style!, Jan. 8 2002
I've read or worked thru almost twenty books on oil painting while I'm waiting for my first painting class to start. This was the first one to cover modern materials - the stuff available today - and to cover glazing. The demos are step-by-step and fully explained in Alla Prima, knife techniques, rub-out painting, glazing, and even oil sticks and water miscible oils. Just an awesome text ... period. The reviewer who earlier diss'd the author for his painting style evidently doesn't have much experience creating or viewing art of any kind - not that appreciating this style requires training. On the contrary, the paintings are done in gorgeous, warm, and 'buttery' colors and the style is somewhere between realist and impressionist. I love the art and I love the book. I'm buying his pastel text, as well. This book is worth...[the money] just for the chapters on glazing alone!

Price: CDN$ 11.55
49 used & new from CDN$ 6.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty solid, but I needed more practical exercises ..., Nov. 25 2001
... and his style is somewhat 'spare' for what I want to do with graphite and charcoal. I came into art from drafting/design and have been struggling with 'too much technique and not enough drawing'. While this book hasn't cured me yet it's a start (for life drawing) and appears so far to be better than most figure texts costing twice as much. Most life drawing books I've looked thru are presented more as anatomy studies or figure studies without what I call true instruction. This approach is probably great for more advanced hobbiests but for a beginner (and someone not very talented ... like me) practical exercises would seem to work better and Mr. Hamm doesn't really present alot of them, so I copy ALL the explanatory sketches for practice. If anyone has suggestions for a better instruction manual for life drawing I'd really liketo hear them. Until then, I'll work thru this one and keep looking.

Price: CDN$ 11.55
49 used & new from CDN$ 6.10

Exploring Colored Pencil
Exploring Colored Pencil
by Sandra Angelo
Price: CDN$ 25.56
30 used & new from CDN$ 3.10

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 'First Book' for colored pencil ... excellent!, Nov. 25 2001
I picked this up after going thru all of B. Borgenson's books and the 'Colored Pencil Solution Book'. For a beginner, it is perfect. There are many graduated actual exercises for different skill levels, instead of merely a picture and a section explaining how it was done (God, I hate when authors do that!). After a couple months of sketching, this book and then the 'Colored Pencil Solution Book' would give you enough to allow you to do just about anything. There wouldn't really be anything else to learn, only time taken to perfect the medium.

Perspective Without Pain
Perspective Without Pain
by Phil Metzger
Price: CDN$ 16.92
43 used & new from CDN$ 3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST text on perspective for the beginner ... period., Nov. 13 2001
I'm trying to return to drawing and (eventually) painting after not so much as picking up a pencil in 12 or 13 years. When I started, I read every review of every book I could find on the different subjects (basic 'seeing', basic drawing, landscapes, figure drawing, portraits, and perspective) and browsed libraries in five different counties here in NC. The list I came up with for basic texts in each subject area included 'Perspective Without Pain' and I have not been disappointed. For a relative beginner, this book is the most user-friendly manual out there in which all aspects of classic perspective is covered. What makes it especially awesome is actual user exercises to reinforce what you read. I absolutely HAVE TO HAVE exercises along with text (I'm not the brightest light in the hallway) and this book includes excellent reinforcing material. If you can find this in a library, take a quick look before you buy. For us beginners it is, in my humble opinion, perfect.

Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes
Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes
Price: CDN$ 12.64
36 used & new from CDN$ 6.02

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best subject-specific sketching text I've read., Nov. 9 2001
I bought this book after finishing Betty Edward's classic 'DOTRSOTB' along with a couple other subject-specific manuals and it has been a perfect set of texts. For trees and sky in graphite I haven't found anything better (yet). It is not, however, photorealistic rendering. Just very solid sketching techniques for landscape articles and some suprisingly good sections on composition. AN UPDATE ... I've recently picked up 'Drawing Nature' by S. Maltzman and find that it is quite a bit deeper but J. Hamm's book will always be lying around for reference. Now if I could just find a text explaining the actual techniques for creating the beautiful treelines I see in Maltzman's text. Maybe he kept that section 'spare' so I'd have to buy 'Drawing Trees Step-By-Step'?

The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: The 1999, 3rd Edition
The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: The 1999, 3rd Edition
by Betty Edwards
24 used & new from CDN$ 14.68

5.0 out of 5 stars The best basic textbook of visual arts available ... period!, Nov. 9 2001
I used this book in a high school art class 20 years ago and bought the updated version recently when I picked up the pencil again after all these years. It the best basic manual ever written as far as I know. Once you work thru this book you are ready to attack advanced sketching, colored pencil, watercolor, pastel ... anything! If you combine this manual with media-specific books you could essentially become at least a good hobbiest in any media, perhaps more, depending on your potential. I went from this book to subject-specific sketching manuals, then to watercolors and am quickly regaining proficiency after a VERY long layoff. What you'll learn from this text is applicable to any visual art form. I wonder how many of these things have sold? Millions?

The Colored Pencil: Key Concepts for Handling the Medium, Revised Edition
The Colored Pencil: Key Concepts for Handling the Medium, Revised Edition
by Bet Borgeson
18 used & new from CDN$ 26.87

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ... I needed more actual exercises, though., Nov. 9 2001
I bought this book and 'Colored Pencil For The Serious Beginner' and I just didn't find them very helpful, though others certainly have. What I need is step-by-step exercises as I build my technique rather than examples and explainations and this book just didn't provide as many and at the depth I found elsewhere. The explainations were great, to be sure, but I have since found that things are explained much better (for me) in other publications. She has a particular style of work that is not so much photo-realistic as impressionist and maybe that is the reason it didn't suit me. I'm sure others will find it perfect for their style of learning.

Colored Pencil Solution Book
Colored Pencil Solution Book
by Janie Gildow
15 used & new from CDN$ 23.72

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best 'Second Book' You Can Buy for Colored Pencil, Nov. 9 2001
For a second book this is probably the best thing out there. Actual exercises applying the techniques are provided as opposed to merely providing samples of work. Also, the sections on composition are excellent, a great primer on things most books skip. I'm still looking for a 'First Book' though. I've purchased all of Bet Borgenson's publications but they just don't fit the bill so I'm slowly building a basic technique as I work thru this one.

A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life
A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life
by Jack Kornfield
Price: CDN$ 16.30
82 used & new from CDN$ 0.65

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest contemporary spritual guidebooks!, Oct. 25 2000
I have studied with numerous meditation teachers in the Christian, Zen, Theravadin, and Hindu traditions and have read practically EVERY Buddhist Meditation book published over the years. As a contemporary guide to a sustained meditation practice this title is unsurpassed. It provides an overview of meditation techniques, gives simple instructions, and explores the pitfalls of practice common to all traditions. But further, it provides wise guidance in integrating spiritual practice into our daily lives ... which should be the ultimate aim in any spiritual path!