Profile for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz > Reviews

Content by zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Got My Mojo Working - Rare Per
Got My Mojo Working - Rare Per
DVD ~ Muddy Waters
Price: CDN$ 26.99
18 used & new from CDN$ 9.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Muddy's Mojo Still Works For This Blues Fan, Sept. 23 2001
I own about a half-dozen Muddy Water's CDs (and sure, the audio quality might be a little better on the CDs), but I just love this DVD for allowing me to see what I missed seeing growing up -- Muddy Waters.
Small things I enjoyed seeing include: the Orange tube amps on Call Me Muddy Waters creating a sound that others still try to duplicate today, the slide guitar work on Country Boy, old-style microphones, the sharp dressed 1950-style younger Muddy on Blow Wind Blow, and an older bell-bottommed wide-collared 1970-style awe-inspiring legend leading a classic rendition of Mannish Boy.
Other treats for the observant eye are a veritable littany of legendary sidemen including on harmonica Carey Bell, Paul Oscher, and Jerry Portnoy.....guitarists Pee Wee Madison, Bob Margolin, and Luther "Guitar" Johnson....for pianists the legendary Otis Spann and PineTop Perkins...and drummers S.P. Leary and Willie "Big Eyes" Smith.
This DVD is practically a must-buy for listeners ....and visually-starved blues and Muddy fans.

Band Of Brothers
Band Of Brothers
Edition: Audio CD
Price: CDN$ 30.87
10 used & new from CDN$ 30.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but not as good as Flags Of Our Fathers, Sept. 20 2001
This review is from: Band Of Brothers (Audio CD)
I bought Ambrose's Band of Brothers with the intent of reading it simultaneiously with the HBO broadcast of the mini-series. The book is so good and so readable, I finished it one week; it's that good a book.
Now that I'm done, I've started comparing it to Bradley's Flags of our Fathers. And for a number of reasons, I think Bradley edges out Ambrose here. I'll tell you why:
One, FOOF goes into further character depth. FOOF covers the battle of Iwo Jima and all the companies and platoons, but focuses in depth on just 6 individuals. Bradley covers these 6 in greater detail than including their childhoods, enlistment, training, and action.
Two, FOOF is a much more intensely personal account. Written by one of the sons of the flag raisers, the book is electric in intensity and emotion that Ambrose can't match no matter how good a historian he is.
Three, FOOF makes better use of symbols. Granted, the flag raising is not just a literary symbol of the author's contrivance but THE most famous symbol of not just the Pacific theatre but of the entire war. Bradley's focus on the flag raising and flag raisers adds a literary focus not found in BOB.
Both books are excellent accounts. You should read both BOB and FOOF; but if you only have time for one, choose Flags.

Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest
Price: CDN$ 25.07
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.81

Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regement, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle'Snest
82 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but not as good as Flags of Our Fathers, Sept. 20 2001

Price: CDN$ 14.44
183 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Band of Brothers vs Flags of our Fathers, Sept. 6 2001

82 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Band of Brothers versus Flags of our Fathers, Sept. 3 2001
One, FOF goes into further character depth. FOF covers the battle of Iwo Jima and all the companies and platoons, but focuses in depth on just 6 individuals. Bradley covers these 6 in greater detail than including their childhoods, enlistment, training, and action.
Two, FOF is a much more intensely personal account. Written by one of the sons of the flag raisers, the book is electric in intensity and emotion that Ambrose can't match no matter how good a historian he is.
Three, FOUF makes better use of symbols. Granted, the flag raising is not just a literary symbol of the author's contrivance but THE most famous symbol of not just the Pacific theatre but of the entire war. Bradley's focus on the flag raising and flag raisers adds a literary focus not found in BOB.
Both books are excellent accounts. You should read both BOB and FOUF; but if you only have time for one, choose Flags.

Price: CDN$ 25.07
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Band of Brothers vs Flags of our Fathers, Sept. 3 2001

Price: CDN$ 14.44
183 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Band of Brothers vs Flags of our Fathers, Sept. 3 2001

VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of DS9 ..., Sept. 2 2001
Episode 103 Trials and Tribble-ations is the best DS9 episode ever made....and more! The episode transcends DS9 blending arguably one of the best Star Trek "Original Series" episodes -- Trouble with Tribbles -- with charachters from DS9 and Next Generation.
The cinematography is superb as clips from the original episode are seamlessly integrated into this episode. And by "seamlessly integrated" I mean 2 things: technically speaking, and from a plot perspective.
This episode is at once nostalgic, original, filled with drama and humor (mostly Dax's comments, but comments by Sisko and others as well.) The fight scene is particularly well-done and stands as probably the best scene of the episode.
Oh, it's so good to see Kirk and Spock again, but it is all fresh and new and exciting in the context of this extremely well-done DS9 episode. This is a must-buy for not only DS9 fans, but also Next Generation and Original Series fans. Outstanding, and as entertaining as even the full-length movies.

VHS