Profile for Thomas Barknowitz > Reviews

Content by Thomas Barknowitz

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Thomas Barknowitz (Edmonton, Alberta Canada)

Hotel Rwanda
Hotel Rwanda
DVD ~ Don Cheadle
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 29.98
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Movie, Amazing Man, April 3 2011
This review is from: Hotel Rwanda (DVD)
I attended a hotel convention on April 6, 2009 where the theme was overcoming our current economic adversity, imagine our reaction when the keynote speaker was announced as Paul Rusesabagina, a former hotel manager. Mr. Rusesabagina spoke for 45 riveting minutes, without notes, without any AV aids to a packed house on his country's decent into madness and what it took to save 1268 lives with only the ability to think on your feet and the power of words. Whenever I get down about how my hotel business is going, or my life seems to be wearing on me, I only need to watch this film, it's an inspiration that there is a way out of my miniscule problems. The film is shot with style and class, there is no need to show people being massacred, realizing the road is not filled with pot holes but is strewen with corpes is powerful and makes it's point. Being Canadian and having listened to General DeLaire speak (a combination of people played by Nick Nolte) it is a reminder of how stupid we as people can be and just how political and slow to react the world was back in 1994. The movie is based in part on Mr. Rusesabagina's book " An Ordinary Man" also an excellent read.