Profile for remymy > Reviews

Content by remymy

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"remymy" (Oakland,, Ca USA)

Edinburgh: A Novel
Edinburgh: A Novel
by Alexander Chee
Price: CDN$ 14.08
20 used & new from CDN$ 4.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Chee Rocks...., Sept. 2 2003
This review is from: Edinburgh: A Novel (Paperback)
This book is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I have to say, though, that the first review by Publishers Weekly should not be included here. The reviewer got several major details of the book wrong (Fee's absent father was also a child molester? His father was not absent, nor a child molester!) and seemed not to have actually read the book. Unbelievable.
Anyway, I was deeply touched by this novel. I felt that Chee was not afraid to get to the heart of things, and because he had the courage to enter where no one should enter, I also had courage to follow him. I love how the prose is internal, no chit-chat, just the hard, dark lines of the inside of the mind. It's as if Chee was so committed to his characters, the integrity of his characters, that he allows them to live and speak for themselves and create their own narratives. I forgot that I was reading a novel, I forgot that I was reading something crafted. I was inside the tunnel of Fee's (and Warden's) mind and saw glimpses of my own soul. I wept several times during this read. I will read everything this man has ever written...