Profile for C. Tanasichuk > Reviews

Content by C. Tanasichuk

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

C. Tanasichuk (SK, Canada)

Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
by Joanne Stepaniak
Price: CDN$ 17.29
41 used & new from CDN$ 4.12

4.0 out of 5 stars praise for the non-block cheez recipes, Nov. 8 2008
I really enjoy some of the ideas and recipes in this book. The block uncheeses aren't for everyone, honestly they don't really appeal to me. That aside, this book is full of other cheesy recipes that are delicious. The best ones I've tried so far are: Crock Cheez, Gooey Grilled Cheez, Nacho Cheez, Gee Whiz Spread, and the French Onion Soup Gruyere (amazing!). Next on my "to try" list are the fondues. One thing I would suggest is to taste everything while you are cooking. I find I have to adjust the spices/seasonings quite a bit to suit my tastes.

La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy
La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy
by Sarah Kramer
Price: CDN$ 15.64
51 used & new from CDN$ 1.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps it's useful for novices...?, Nov. 8 2008
Honestly I haven't found this book to be very useful. It's a great read and I appreciate Sarah Kramer's writing-style. Perhaps this book would be better for those who do not cook regularly? I find a lot of the recipes to be overly simplistic. Furthermore, out of the recipes I have tried (which admittedly is not that many), only about half of them have been edible. Recipes submitted to the book by "Wolffie" are usually amazing. Also, many of the recipes call for vegan cheese. I am afraid that if a new vegan went out and smothered their food with grated vegan cheese they would be quickly turned off...most vegan cheeses are somewhat odd tasting and have troubles melting. This is fine, and many of these recipes you could omit the cheese, but I feel like there should be a warning for new vegans. Overall, this book isn't horrible, but it's one that I rarely use and I regret purchasing it.