Profile for Michael Crane > Reviews

Content by Michael Crane

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Michael Crane (Orland Park, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (2-disc DVD Collector's Set)
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (2-disc DVD Collector's Set)
DVD ~ Clint Eastwood
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 38.17
21 used & new from CDN$ 10.65

5.0 out of 5 stars "Such ingratitude after all the times I saved your life...", July 16 2004
"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" is Sergio Leone's epic masterpiece. While it is part of his Spaghetti Western Trilogy( all three films have different characters and plots), the film stands on its own and really shows you how good a movie can really be. This movie has it all. It has action, drama and even some comic relief in it. It is a timeless classic that is unforgettable. When I first saw it, I was a little kid and couldn't truly appreciate it as I can now at age 22.
Blondie (The Man with No Name) isn't your typical good guy. He mainly does things that suits his own agenda. However, when compared to the murderous Angel Eyes and the greedy Tuco, Blondie is saint. This tale involves bloodshed, shoot-outs, search for treasure, and double-crossing. And it all takes place while the Civil War is going on, which makes things a lot more "interesting" for the notorious three. The West has never been wilder or more unpredictable than it is now. With an incredible score, excellent acting, and superb story-telling, this is one memorable film that you will never forget.
As I said in the beginning, the first time I saw this was when I was a little kid. When I just recently purchased this new edition of the movie, it truly was like I was watching it for the first time. Coming from a guy who isn't a big fan of Westerns (I don't mind them, but I don't watch too many of them), I absolutely LOVED this film. In fact, I wanted to give it a standing ovation when it was all said and done due to how moved I was by it. This really is filmmaking at its finest. I wasn't terribly impressed with Leone's "Once Upon a Time in America," but he is absolutely flawless with this amazing and timeless Western. It is slower than the second film ("For a Few Dollars More"), but I think that makes this all the better. The build up of tension is much more present in this film, and you really get the sense that these characters are real people. Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach are brilliant in their roles, and a lot of props need to go to Lee Van Cleef as he is absolutely chilling in his role.
This new edition really does the film the justice it deserves. The film has been restored to the director's original vision as much as possible, giving you an extra 18 minutes. You will notice the added scenes as the voices have been re-dubbed (the first time you will notice this will throw you, as I think that specific part has the worst re-dubbing, but the other added scenes are done a lot better, even if you still notice it). The picture looks incredible and the sound is great. Extras included are commentary from Richard Schickel, a couple of documentaries and featurettes, poster gallery, deleted scenes and the original theatrical trailer. Along with the nice packaging, you get an 8-page booklet that includes pictures from the film along with Roger Ebert's most recent review of the film. And, you get some mini-posters included inside the packaging as well. A superior edition of the movie, without question.
"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" is a pure triumph in filmmaking and should be seen by everybody at least once. Don't let the fact that this is a Western throw you. I think this can be enjoyed by everybody, and even by those who are not big fans of Westerns. A film filled with authentic emotion and action, this is one that shouldn't be missed by anyone. I LOVE this movie, and I cannot express that enough. -Michael Crane

Never Die Alone
Never Die Alone
DVD ~ DMX
Price: CDN$ 11.31
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars "We reap what we sow...", July 13 2004
This review is from: Never Die Alone (DVD)
"Never Die Alone" is a dark and bleak crime drama/noir that never makes any apologies for its brutality or harshness. Definitely not something for people with weak stomachs, the movie is a great example of showing you what goes around comes around, even if you decide it's time to change your life. As harsh as the movie can be, I think it was very well done and took some really good risks. This is definitely something that doesn't come out of typical Hollywood.
DMX plays King David, a notorious drug dealer who has a solid rep and one hell of a dark past. He decides it's time to make things right and hopefully find some sort of redemption. Well, things don't work out like that as his past mistakes finally catch up to him with unrelenting results. A would-be reporter gets caught in the middle of the crossfire and ends up learning about David's horrible past through his own cassette tapes that he had made. What is revealed to him is a grim story about drugs and violence in unspeakable proportions.
I was actually expecting the movie to be nothing but non-stop "street violence," but it ended up being a lot more clever than that. There's an actual storyline to it that works, along with some great performances from the cast. Even though this isn't a perfect movie, I think it is a very good one. DMX is absolutely chilling and unforgiving in his role of "King David." So unforgiving that he even admits in a making-of featurette on the DVD that he had a hard time with some of the things his character does in the film. You can tell that he was determined to become the character, as he does a great job of selling it. David Arquette and Michael Ealy also give terrific performances and should not be forgotten.
The DVD doesn't have a whole lot to offer, but there are some extras included. You have the option of either watching the widescreen or fullscreen version of the movie. Extras included are commentary, a making-of-featurette, trailers and deleted scenes. While it doesn't offer a whole ton of extras, there are a couple that you can check out.
It goes without saying that the movie is dark and brutal. If you're looking for a happy-go-lucky type of movie, then this is something you will not want to even take a chance on. As harsh as this movie can be, I don't think it's gratuitous, which was something I was expecting it to be. Still, this is something that isn't for everybody. I think that "Never Die Alone" is a well done movie with some unforgettable performances. A real urban-gangster picture that isn't all fluff and empty calories. It actually has something to say. -Michael Crane

The War Room (Full Screen) [Import]
The War Room (Full Screen) [Import]
DVD ~ James Carville
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 72.14
9 used & new from CDN$ 6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Damage Control, July 13 2004
"The War Room" is an interesting documentary that shows you just exactly what goes on behind the scenes of a presidential campaign and all of the problems that can arise. Mostly centered around the Clinton campaign, we get a look at a man who is determined to be the next President of the United States. James Carville and George Stephanopoulos are the main brains behind the campaign, and they show it with their rapid thinking and reactions. The road to the White House proves to be a bumpy one for Clinton and company, as scandals surface and tabloid articles flood the newsstands. The people behind the campaign of Bill Clinton never get a break as they always have to be on their toes and figure out damage control. Even though you know how it all ends, it is still a tense and shocking film.
What I love the most about this documentary is that there is no overall narrator, and there really isn't an agenda to it. The film doesn't force-feed you a likable Clinton. The film's real purpose is to show you what happens during these campaigns. Even though it's centered around Clinton, this film really could've been about anyone. The film doesn't sugarcoat anything as it gives you the raw footage and shows you how both sides can play dirty. It was amazing to watch Carville and Stephanopoulos work the way they did, as I had no idea how much of an important role they played in Clinton's campaign.
I think this documentary can be enjoyed by anyone who is interested in how the system works. You really don't even have to like Clinton in order to enjoy it, as the film isn't trying to make it look like Clinton is a saint or anything like that. It is about how dirty people in these campaigns can fight, and it occurs on both sides. And since there is no overall narrator, there is really nothing in here that tells you that you should feel a certain way about it all. The DVD contains no special features, which is a shame.
I really enjoyed "The War Room," and I'm not a real big fan of politics. I think it presents an interesting look at what goes on behind the scenes. If you're looking for an entertaining documentary that is funny and tense, then this is definitely something you should consider checking out. A big triumph on all fronts, if you want my honest opinion. -Michael Crane

The Bourne Identity (Widescreen Collector's Edition)
The Bourne Identity (Widescreen Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ Franka Potente
Offered by marvelio-ca
Price: CDN$ 6.34
55 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars "Everything I found out, I want to forget...", July 11 2004
I was in the mood to watch an entertaining action flick that hopefully had some brains behind it, so I decided to pop "The Bourne Identity" into my DVD player (that, and the previews for the sequel looks really good, so I wanted to see this right away). What I got was exactly what I expected, and then some. This is a very exciting and sharp movie that is a lot of fun to watch. There's lots of intense action to be enjoyed from this film.
Jason Bourne has a serious problem on his hands. When he is left for dead and his body is discovered by fishermen, he awakes and realizes that he cannot remember who he is. His memory is gone and he has no idea why or how he's there. And even though he doesn't know who he is, he is very skilled at hand-to-hand combat and is a deadly weapon who can take down just about anyone. When he tries to uncover his past and his identity, he finds people around every corner trying to kill him. Turns out that he is in reality an agent/assassin for the U.S. government (a very secret branch of defense). Since Bourne had failed his mission, they cannot afford to have him found out by others, so they know he must be terminated. Well, Bourne isn't going to take that lightly. He will take them head on and bring the fight to their doorsteps in order to find out who he is and why they want him dead.
This really was a good time. I haven't been terribly impressed with some of the latest action blunders, so it was nice to see something that was entertaining and was actually smart at the same time. Another plus is that the film doesn't try to be overly goofy, as a lot of other action flicks tend to be at times. Granted, there is humor, but it's evenly spread out and is never overused. Not only does the film have incredible action and fight scenes, but it also has a smart script and great character interaction. The movie also shows that Matt Damon can be one heck of an action star. I thought he could never pull it off, but he sure proved me wrong. He's very believable in his role and he's able to pull of the action scenes with real authenticity.
The DVD has a few extras to offer. First off, the movie looks very good and the sound is also terrific. Extras that can be found on this DVD include commentary from the director, an alternate ending and an extended "farmhouse" scene, deleted scenes, a making-of featurette, a great music video by Moby, and some really neat DVD-ROM extras. I didn't care much for the alternate ending, so I'm glad that they just stuck with what is in the movie. All in all, not a bad package.
"The Bourne Identity" can be enjoyed by those who want a smart and clever action movie that delivers. There's a great script, a fantastic cast, and some out-of-this-world chase/fight scenes. This was definitely a great time for me and I'm glad I finally got around to watching it. If you haven't checked it out yet, then I really recommend it, especially if you're an action fan. -Michael Crane

Butterfly Effect [Import]
Butterfly Effect [Import]
DVD ~ Ashton Kutcher
Price: CDN$ 13.97
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars "You were happy once... with me.", July 10 2004
This review is from: Butterfly Effect [Import] (DVD)
While "The Butterfly Effect" wasn't critically acclaimed or well loved by everyone, I thought it was a pretty good movie when I first saw it at the theatres. It was a dark and completely disturbing film that made me want to look away at times, but at the same time I was very intrigued. My only problem was the ending. I thought it really contradicted the whole theme of the movie, but I always suspected that the so-called "happy ending" was forced upon since the movie is so dark and hard to watch that they thought there was no way people would like it if a more darker and depressing ending were added. Well, now you get to see the director's cut of the film that's on this very DVD, which offers the superior ending.
Evan had terrible blackouts when he was little, very much like his father. He would blackout during terrible situations and not remember anything. That's when it was suggested to him that he keep a journal to see if he could remember what happened during those blackouts. When Evan is all grown up, still haunted by his terrible past that had blanketed him and his friends, he discovers that he can relive those memories when he reads his entries. He can view it like a movie and finally see what had happened during his blackouts. Not only that, but he has the power to even alter those moments. Determined to fix the pasts of him and his friends, he relives those memories and tries to fix them so they will all have a better future. However, when he tries to change one thing, it leads to devastating results that he could have never foreseen. As the cover says, "Change one thing... change EVERYTHING."
I found this film to be very interesting and complex, even though I felt that the film itself was not perfect. The movie is very hard to watch at times, so it's not recommended for those who don't like being disturbed or who are extremely sensitive to such matters. I think it has a smart storyline and great acting. Believe it or not, Ashton Kutcher is able to act in a serious role. I didn't even recognize him at first, but he really pulled it off. He was able to convince me that he was in fact "Evan," as he played the role with determination and force.
As I said in the beginning, my major problem with the movie had always been the ending. While it was happy and nice to see that things worked out considering the absolute hell this movie can put you through, I still found the ending to be contradictive and a "cop-out." Now, all of that's changed as you are given the choice to either watch the theatrical version, OR the director's cut. The director's cut offers a few more extra minutes that adds more substance to the story (including an interesting find) and a more appropriate ending. If you were to ask me which version is better, I'd say that the director's cut is without any hesitation The new ending does a better job of fitting in with the theme of the movie and doesn't contradict the film as the theatrical ending does. The DVD also offers "infinifilm" features that give you a deeper insight to the movie itself. Extras included are commentary, documentaries, storyboard galleries and much more. I must say that the film looks great, and also sounds fantastic as well.
"The Butterfly Effect" proves to be an even stronger film with the director's cut version, even if it's still not a perfect movie. If you're looking for something a little more darker and sinister than your regular picks, then this is something to consider. Just remember that this movie does not let you off easy. It's brutal and extremely disturbing. If you're daring and think you can handle it, then pick this up and prepare for one unforgettable and chilling ride. -Michael Crane

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol 1
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol 1
DVD ~ Dave Willis
Offered by The Digital Vault
Price: CDN$ 19.99
35 used & new from CDN$ 1.61

5.0 out of 5 stars "A car cannot be killed, Frylock. It was murdered!", July 4 2004
This review is from: Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol 1 (DVD)
Whoever said that cartoons can only be intended for children never heard the likes of "Aqua Teen Hunger Force." In the spirit of shows such as The Simpsons or Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force offers whacky and bizarre humor that is both ridiculous and hilarious. It's an odd concept that sounds like it could be a complete disaster, but seeing that this was done by the right people, the show is absolutely terrific. "Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Volume 1" is a hilariously strange journey that is unlike any you have ever taken.
There are three main characters in the show. There's Master Shake, Frylock and Meatwad. They all live together--despite the fact that they can get on each other's nerves very easily. The three are always confronted with strange situations and people. From aliens (one having a weird German accent) to gigantic robot bunnies; from a "cursing" mummy to greedy leprechauns; and from talking dolls to strange two-dimensional and birdie flipping creatures known as "Mooninites," these are only a few of the situations that the three supposed "crime fighters" face. The results are unpredictable and highly entertaining.
This is a show that will be enjoyed by those with a warped sense of humor. It took a while for me to get into it all, but after a couple of episodes I was hooked and was laughing like crazy. The episodes are very short (each are about 10 minutes long), so it's easy to watch a whole bunch of them all at once. I always love bizarre and ridiculous humor, so this show was perfect for me. I think it has a great concept, very entertaining characters and a very solid direction.
While this is indeed a cartoon, it's really not intended for young children. It is a part of Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim," and for good reason. It's nowhere near as bad as South Park or even Family Guy, but the show does contain mild language and adult content/situations. Teens and up shouldn't have any problems with the show, as I'm sure they have seen worse, but it isn't a show for very little children. Besides, they wouldn't appreciate the off-beat humor.
There's not a lot of extras on the DVD. The package consists of two discs that has 16 episodes. Audio and picture quality is very good, considering it is a cartoon. Extras that are included are commentaries on the episodes "Rabbot (the original cut)," "Space Conflict from Beyond Pluto," and "Mayhem of the Mooninites." Other extras are never before seen footage, the original cut of the pilot, "Rabbot," and a few "hidden" goodies. Not a lot of extras, but still a decent package overall.
"Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Volume 1" is a great time that delivers very off-the-wall humor around every corner. There isn't another show like it, in my opinion. It may take a few episodes to really get into it all, but soon enough you're hooked and are laughing all the way. If you like cartoons that aren't your ordinary squeaky-clean family entertainment, then this is something you should definitely consider checking out. This is something I will be watching again and again. I can't wait to get Volume 2.
If you like this, then I also highly recommend "Invader Zim," since it has the same dark and twisted humor in it. You're bound to enjoy it if you like this, and vice versa. -Michael Crane

Cops:Shots Fired
Cops:Shots Fired
DVD ~ Andrew Fincher
Price: CDN$ 11.98
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.84

4.0 out of 5 stars "Suspect is down. I repeat, suspect is down...", July 3 2004
This review is from: Cops:Shots Fired (DVD)
This is the DVD to own for any fans of the show, COPS. It's packed with tension, danger, and violent confrontations. "COPS: Shots Fired" contains some of the most dangerous confrontations to be captured on camera. While it is actually really only a small taste of what the show has to offer, it still makes a nice DVD for any fan of the show. Witness the police as they get called over to maintain and control dangerous and outrageous situations. From people with knives to people with actual guns. From drunken and violent perpetrators to deeply disturbed souls who feel there is no hope for them. These men and women dressed in the uniform must make life changing decisions, and they have to make them fast if they don't want to danger the lives of innocent bystanders, or their very own lives. It is a wild ride, and a ride that you will have a hard time forgetting.
This is not for anyone who is extremely sensitive or who easily gets grossed out, as there is a lot of graphic content on this DVD. You get to see exactly what a bullet wound looks like... and it's 100% real. Some of this stuff you wouldn't be able to see on TV it's so intense. I have always been a fan of the show, so I knew what I would have to expect. However, that did not mean I had an easy time watching some of the things that take place on this DVD.
A real downside is that this is really a short DVD. Its running time is about 50 minutes, which isn't very long at all. Considering how long the show has been around, I think they could've put together more material. I wouldn't had mind paying a little extra for more content, and I'm sure a lot of other fans wouldn't as well. There is a bonus footage section that gives you an uncensored montage that could never be aired on TV without it being watered down. That's a little over 15 minutes, which is a nice extra. If the actual program freaks you out too much, watching this section will help you relax some as most of the material is pretty humorous.
"COPS: Shots Fired" is a nice package for those who are devoted fans of the show and crave for something a little more intense. It's not a perfect or spectacular package, but it is a nice one. Again, this is not recommended for younger audiences or for those with weak stomachs. I hope to see more COPS DVDs in the future, as I really do love the show. And maybe they'll put together a great DVD with hours upon hours of timeless material. Until then, we have this, and that's a nice start. -Michael Crane

Drunk In Public
Drunk In Public
Price: CDN$ 14.14
23 used & new from CDN$ 2.22

4.0 out of 5 stars "Can't ride home on a bowl of goat..." (4.5 stars), June 29 2004
This review is from: Drunk In Public (Audio CD)
Ron White is a very funny and talented comedian that has a lot of potential, and that potential is very well displayed on his first album, "Drunk in Public." While many were introduced to him through the comedy concert movie, "Blue Collar Comedy Tour," I first heard of him through some of my friends. So, I decided to purchase the CD without hearing the man do a single set. It is a decision that I'm happy I made, because Ron White knows how to show you a good time without breaking a sweat.
White talks about a variety of things on his album... most of them involve drinking. Hence the title of the album. Still, he talks about a lot of other things as well. He talks about being married to a "spoiled" wife with rich parents, and how she can't really do anything on her own. He talks about an experience on a small plane where they were uncertain if they would ever see home again... although, Ron didn't really care since he was drinking. A nervous passenger asks him if one of the engines burn out how far will the other one take them, and Ron casually replies, "Right to the crash site." He even bets the man that they'll beat the paramedics there by a half an hour. He talks about his cousin who loves to hunt, and he talks his loathing of Sears. There's many more on the album, but those are just some of the real headliners.
I really enjoyed listening to this album. Ron White is a very relaxed comic... so relaxed that he actually drinks and smokes during his routine. His set never feels forced or recycled. He's very subtle and confident about his material, and it really shows. His "relaxed" style really works for his routine and makes him a real standout.
The only problem I had with the album is that it's too short. The total running time is a little over 39 minutes long. Usually, comedy routines on albums run about an hour long (sometimes a little less, sometimes even a little more). I was kind of sad that the CD was so short. I remember saying to myself, "That's it?!" It is only a minor complaint, but I still feel that the album could've been a little longer. I'm sure he didn't run out of material.
My favorite tracks are "sunglasses," "truth in advertising," "plane crash," "ten days in los angeles," "outlaw video games," "married to a wealthy woman," "lug nut day," and "they call me 'tater salad.'" I like them all, but those are some of my favorites.
Ron White's "Drunk in Public" is a very funny first album, and it shows a lot of promise for future achievements. Despite it being a tad short, it's still a very worthy listen. I think that he will really go places if he keeps it up. If you're looking for a funny comedian that is subtle and hilarious, Ron White is your man. Don't forget to enjoy a nice cold one when you pop this bad boy into the stereo. -Michael Crane

The Jerky Boys
The Jerky Boys
Price: CDN$ 21.04
4 used & new from CDN$ 3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars "They call me 'Rubberneck!'", June 28 2004
This review is from: The Jerky Boys (Audio CD)
Now, this is a hilarious album that brings back memories. While going through my ridiculously large CD collection, I stumbled upon this gem. I hadn't listen to it for a long time, so I decided to take a stroll down memory lane. And what a great stroll it was! "The Jerky Boys" is one of those priceless classics that can never be duplicated. This was the album that introduced the world to two hilarious pranksters and their amazing creations.
Let's face it, anybody can do a prank call. It's not that hard to do. However, that does not mean that anybody can do a GOOD prank call. These guys are improv geniuses, and they can never know what to expect. Great characters like the annoyed and always ticked off Frank Rizzo, or the always injured and paranoid Sol Rosenberg. There's the openly... er... "happy" Jack Tor S who is always looking for a whacky job. And who can forget Tarbash; the Egyptian Magician and an unfortunate victim of dental malpractice. That's only to name a few.
Since this is the very first album from the Jerky Boys, all of their characters were still not yet fully developed or completely solid, but they each showed overwhelming promise. You knew that we would be hearing more from these characters in the future, and of course that is what happened. Still, this album is absolutely hilarious and never seems dated. The two most developed and memorable characters are Frank Rizzo and Sol Rosenberg. Even years later, this album still had the power to make me laugh as if I were hearing it all for the first time.
It goes without saying, this album isn't intended for those who get offended easily. Lots of profanity and adult humor can be found on almost every track. While I pretty much enjoy every call, my favorites are "irate tile man," "laser surgery," "sol's glasses," "car salesman," "super across the way," "the home wrecker," "dental malpractice," "hurt at work," "firecracker mishap," "punitive damages," "piano tuner," and everybody's favorite, "uncle freddie."
"The Jerky Boys" is one of those classics that will never seem dated or tiring. It's always funny and outright hysterical. If you haven't checked these guys out, then this would be a great introduction to them. There may be a bunch of wannabes in the world, but we all know that there can only be one Frank Rizzo! Now, go grab your toolbox and enjoy these calls, Jerky! -Michael Crane

Badder Santa: The Unrated Version [Import]
Badder Santa: The Unrated Version [Import]
DVD ~ Billy Bob Thornton
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 46.12
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember kids, Santa hates you. He really, really hates you., June 22 2004
If you were ever curious to find out how unapologetic and raw a movie can be, then you won't have to wonder much longer. Because, here comes "Bad Santa." No, this isn't your cute and cuddly Christmas movie that'll make you feel good inside. This is a movie that is so vulgar and relentless that you can't help but laugh all the way through it. There is not a single second where this movie is tamed or surrendering, and that alone is something to admire.
Willie T. Stokes isn't your ordinary mall Santa. He's a foulmouthed alcoholic who loathes his own life more than anything else in the world. He's also a successful thief and uses the "Santa" guise in order to help him rip off the department stores, but all of the abuse of booze has taken its toll on him. Things are a little different this year, as a kid who absolutely believes that he is the real Santa takes a liking to him, giving Willie a great hide-out at his own house. Not to mention he meets a beautiful bartender who has a sick "Santa" fetish that's uncontrollable, but he doesn't mind that one bit. Yes, it is shaping up to be a year full of profanity, booze and depression for Willie, and isn't that what Christmas is all about?
I don't think even Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino combined can match up to the usage of profanity in this pleasantly dark and off-the-wall comedy. Did it bother me? Of course not, but then again it never really bothers me. I knew exactly what to expect from this movie, so I was very well prepared for what I would witness. I have no problem telling you that I thought this movie was downright funny. Billy Bob Thornton is hilarious as a bitter and depressed Santa. Call me demented, but I thought it was pretty funny when he swears at all of the little kids. He never fails to dish out a few "colorful" words here and there. Bernie Mac and the late and very much missed John Ritter are also very entertaining in their roles. The script was very well written and accomplishes what it wanted--and that is to be funny, and nothing more.
This is not a movie for those who easily get offended. If you hate profanity, then you will loathe this movie. That is a fact. Don't even attempt it if that's the case. This is one of the few movies where it never chickens out. It's raw and brutal from beginning to end. It's not a deep film, and it's not trying to be one. This is a movie that is completely character-driven, so don't expect a fabulous story or a complex plot. The movie's only goal is to be funny and entertaining, and I think it does just that.
There are two versions of this movie you can get. I got the "Badder" version, which is said to have a little over five extra minutes in it that's "unrated." Now, I never saw this in the theatres so I can't tell you what was added. I really couldn't tell what was so "unrated" about it. Like I said, the movie is completely vulgar from beginning to end, so it was hard to notice anything that was "unrated" material. So, it's up to you which version you want to end up getting. There's not a lot of extras on the DVD, but there are a few goodies included such as a behind-the-scenes featurette, a gag-reel, outtakes, and deleted and alternate scenes.
"Bad Santa" is a vulgarly good time and it doesn't try to pretend to be something else. It is what it is. It's not for those who are offended by non-stop usage of profanity. While it's no cinematic masterpiece, I found it to be highly entertaining. If you're looking for a dark comedy that refuses to take itself seriously or make any apologies, then this is something worth looking into. A very funny and crude comedy with great performances from an extremely funny cast. -Michael Crane

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20