Profile for Stephen P. Lopez > Reviews

Content by Stephen P. Lopez

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stephen P. Lopez "Insane4art" (Hemet, California United States)

Cold Mountain (Collector's Edition) (Sous-titres français) [Import]
Cold Mountain (Collector's Edition) (Sous-titres français) [Import]
DVD ~ Jude Law
Offered by gamerudy
Price: CDN$ 12.95
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars What's with that "tacked on" love scene?, July 6 2004
I really enjoyed "Cold Mountain". At 2 1/2 hours, it was a joy to get lost in....you know, turn off your brain and enjoy the show. I am reminded of Christopher Vogler's books (The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers, & The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Storytellers and Screenwriters). Now don't get me wrong, I am not slinging mud in the direction of Charles Frazier's novel (which I haven't read yet), but when I saw the movie, I said "Hmmmmm, smells like Homer to me" (and I don't mean Simpson). But hey....isn't most writing and film making just one formula or another these days, or has it been always that way? Like I said, it was fun getting lost in the story....the acting and visuals are as good as it gets in this day and age, and the dialogue in this movie is at times, quite poetic (thank you Mr. Frazier). My only complaint was the OBVIOUSLY "Tacked On" love scene. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude...but hey, this "love scene" looked like a studio decision, not a director's decision to me. Yes, in "Eye's Wide Shut", I loved Nicole Kidman's backside etc., but at least there (no pun intended), her attributes seemed to actually be a part of the story (thank you Mr. Kubrick!). A simple "Fade Out" would have spoke volumes in this movie, instead of that "Joy of Sex" approach they chose. Why didn't "Cold Mountain" get nominated for "Best Picture"? In my opinion, it's the "tacked on" love scene that lost the election. In short: GREAT WORK by Jude Law, Nicole Kidman, Renee Zellweger, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Natalie Portman, Giovanni Ribisi, Jack White, Brendan Gleeson, Donald Sutherland (and the Screenwriter/Director and Crew), but BAD DECISIONS by the STUDIO HEADS, THE PRODUCERS etc. (I won't hold the EDITOR responsible, because when does an editor have the last say anyway?). I hope there will eventually be "The Directors Cut" or "By popular Demand Cut" (minus the cheesey love scene). But for now...fast forwarding on my DVD player makes for an amusing way to bypass that scene (and get on to the rest of a pretty good story).

DVD ~ Anthony Quinn
Offered by moviemars-canada
Price: CDN$ 26.77
22 used & new from CDN$ 26.77

5.0 out of 5 stars La Strada audio "dropout" questions answered, Dec 2 2003
In a previous review, I was concerned about two sections on the "English" dubbed audio track, in which the sound completely dropped out. I just received an email from Jon Mulvaney (who represents Criterion). Here is an excerpt of that email: [The English language dubbed track on Criterion's LA STRADA is derived from a print of the American version of the film. Several minor cuts were made for the American release, and the disparities between the complete Italian cut of LA STRADA and its shorter American counterpart have resulted in a number of unavoidable audio dropouts on the English-dubbed track on the DVD. This is not a flaw in the DVD of La Strada but an accurate reflection of the Italian and American versions and an indication of the cuts that were made for the American release.] Many thanks to Mr. Mulvaney for looking further into the problem and getting right back to me. In short, we have the definitive version of La Strada (compliments of Criterion), and there is no need to return the DVD to Amazon or Criterion.

DVD ~ Anthony Quinn
Offered by moviemars-canada
Price: CDN$ 26.77
22 used & new from CDN$ 26.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Is there a "glitch" in the "English" audio element?, Nov. 30 2003
I agree with almost all of my fellow reviewers, that this is probably one of the greatest films ever made. Since DVD's came about, I've been writing letters to Criterion (the company which restored it), asking that "La Strada" be released (especially by them). First of all, the picture quality is 10 out of 10, it's wonderful. The original "Italian" audio track is a joy to my ear, from beginning to end. BUT....the "English" audio track seems to be flawed (at least with this, the first release). In the beginning of the film, when Gelsomina is introduced to Zampano, about 3:30 min into the film, until 4:04 min into the film, there is a complete loss of sound. And once again from 4:20 min into the film, until 4:35 min into the film, there is another complete loss of sound. From then on, the audio is flawless. I contacted Criterion about this problem, and I was advised that it was probably a bad copy, and to contact AMAZON for a replacement. I did this, and AMAZON sent out a new copy within 2 days. Unfortunately, the replacement disk was flawed in EXACTLY the same places on the "English" track. Please check YOUR copy, and if it IS flawed, please contact Criterion about it. I tried BOTH of my copies on THREE DIFFERENT DVD players, and it was SAME problem on each machine, and at the same times that I mentioned. What are the odds of that? I'm a HUGE fan of Criterion and their work, and I think it's just a bug that needs to be worked out. Other than that, their restoration is a jewel in my collection.

"M*A*S*H: Season Two (Full Screen, Collector's Edition, 3 Discs)"
"M*A*S*H: Season Two (Full Screen, Collector's Edition, 3 Discs)"
DVD ~ Alan Alda
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 59.98
8 used & new from CDN$ 22.09

5.0 out of 5 stars M*A*S*H - Season Two Good, "Laugh-Track" BAD!, July 24 2002
I think that the ability to turn off the laugh-track on the DVD version of television's M*A*S*H (1st & 2nd season), sets this series free of that ol' "canned laughter" mentality which held itself prisoner of TV's "Days gone by". I never considered the series "funny" in the way that television was trying to sell it. I thought of it as bittersweet, just as I did the movie. Now, without being told WHEN to LAUGH, the viewer (who is now upgraded to the level of LISTENER) can enjoy the luxury of INTELLIGENT writing. I recommend this DVD series.

M.A.S.H.: Season 1
M.A.S.H.: Season 1
DVD ~ Alan Alda
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 35.61
13 used & new from CDN$ 8.82

5.0 out of 5 stars It's EVEN BETTER without a laugh track!, June 19 2002
This review is from: M.A.S.H.: Season 1 (DVD)
What can I say? It's EVEN BETTER without a laugh track. This is a GREAT option on the DVD version. I know there are the purests out there who loved it as it appeared on broadcast television, and more power to them. But I could never get used to laughing on cue. The only laugh track I ever really enjoyed was the "I Love Lucy" version, where you could actually pick out the cast members by their laugh (especially Desi Arnaz's). Anyway, back to the M*A*S*H w/removable laugh track....It's nice to be able to get into the great stories and the wonderful acting without being told, "Hey, this is a funny part....now LAUGH!"