ARRAY(0xba35b294)

Profile for David L. Eastman > Reviews

Content by David L. Eastman

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

David L. Eastman "DAVE EASTMAN, OL 23,-24" (Center Sandwich, NH)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Outlaws in Vietnam: 1966-76 in the Delta
Outlaws in Vietnam: 1966-76 in the Delta
by David Eastman
14 used & new from CDN$ 12.87

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTLAWS IN VIETNAM, May 24 2004
HEY REVIEWER #12.... You were not in even in Vietnam, much less in the prestigious "175th." The mighty wives of the Outlaws sniffed you out, and declared you illegitmate, a deciever. You are a bozo, non-existent, bogus member of the Vinh Long crowd and your horrific dismissal of the OUTLAWS IN VIETNAM books signifies your nothing-ness. Too bad you were not there--I assure you that you would have been able to "recall" the Silver Star Kid: OL 23,-24 himeself, and screw you, "buddy!" Don't show up anytime, anywhere, OK??! I do have claws and fangs for the right target.... Drop dead. Yuck... I was just beginning to think there were no sharks in these waters!

The Cat from Hue: A Vietnam War Story
The Cat from Hue: A Vietnam War Story
by John Laurence
20 used & new from CDN$ 6.31

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cat from Hue, Aug. 15 2003
I enjoyed this book right to the last page. It is a good historical account all the way through the Vietnam war, in various corps, which I always enjoy reading from those who had numerous tours there, military or journalistic. The sweep of reality in various minds as the war progresses over time and place is always an interesting insight for me. I served in the Mekong Delta during 1966-67, with the 175th Outlaws as a helicopter pilot. There we witnessed much of what John Laurence describes throughout this lengthy book--in that he is trying to record the pilots' and grunts' memories and emotions while he visits with them. He always admits the shortcomings of not being able to stay in the field with them, and that is a very interesting aspect of this well-written book. My book, OUTLAWS IN VIETNAM, covers the life of we helicopter pilots at Vinh Long, but this descriptive work by Laurence is exacting over time with his experiences, and those of newsmen and military personnel around him. As a voyage through time in RVN, I see it as a valuable addition to my personal library of books written on the Vietnam Conflict. This is a keeper, and will last.

We Were Soldiers
We Were Soldiers
VHS
8 used & new from CDN$ 9.74

5.0 out of 5 stars We Were Soldiers Once and Young, March 28 2003
This review is from: We Were Soldiers (VHS Tape)
This movie is heavy on special effects--about getting shot!! At first I thought, "this is very accurate, but needs some more gunsmoke." That happened pretty soon, too. This is the Infantry at its bloodiest and noisiest--how anyone can keep their wits about them as portrayed effectively here is still beyond me to this day. I was a Huey driver, like Major Crandall in this movie, and I was glad to fly for these guys, and also fly away, too!
The movie is not as well constructed as Joey Galloway's book, but, truly, that is another story to read before seeing this film. Hal Moore's personality is sincerely conveyed, and the Fort Benning of that time comes across. There are great portrayals of the stoic Army wives waiting that are for real; it is too bad that this era was such a tough time for all. I hope that Joey's and the General's wishes that more civilians understand the true story of the Vietnam vet continues to get accomplished. The North Vietnamese regulars are treated respectfully for their courage and audacity, also. They were a superior enemy.
This is a video that should be on any veteran's shelf, ...

The General's Daughter
The General's Daughter
by Nelson DeMille
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 8.55
116 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The General's Daughter, Dec 11 2002
This book is a good light read, a genuine page-turner of a mystery novel. However, my delight in reading it was its constant education on the Army life, and I find this book along with Hackworth's "ABOUT FACE" worth recommending--if one is interested in this service. Norman Schwarzkopf's "IT DOESN'T TAKE A HERO" could be added to these two. My own veteran experience was in flying Hueys in the Mekong Delta, and I have documented several episodes in my book "OUTLAWS IN VIETNAM" similar to these stories. We are losing knowledge of the military life, as many are not required to enter the service today, as was previously true. Any young people out there who wish to get a refined picture of this existence would be well rewarded reading these books.

Angel's Wing: A Year in the Skies of Vietnam
Angel's Wing: A Year in the Skies of Vietnam
by Joseph R. Finch
20 used & new from CDN$ 7.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Angel's Wing: A Year in the Skies of Vietnam, Dec 7 2002
I swapped books with Joe Finch at the 2002 VHPA convention in Las Vegas. We both flew helicopters about the same time in Vietnam. Luckily I flew in the Mekong Delta, and did not have to deal much with the jungles and trees as described in this book. Only once or twice did the Outlaws of the 175th have to go "up-North" and risk the hazards these pilots commonly underwent northwest of Saigon. Lotsa teak trees and agent Orange!
As a result, I feel I have to comment on the amount of contact with tropical vegetation as expressed within this book! We would have lost our aircraft commander orders with the blade strikes this pilot reveals! However, that said, I am glad to see my book, OUTLAWS IN VIETNAM, paired with Joe's book and I hope many readers know more about our Army Aviation experiences in RVN as a result.

Five Years to Freedom: The True Story of a Vietnam POW
Five Years to Freedom: The True Story of a Vietnam POW
by James N. Rowe
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.49
69 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Years to Freedom, Dec 3 2002
I tried to rescue Nick Rowe on a night I describe in my book, "Outlaws in Vietnam"--ever since then I have wanted to know more about this incredible man and his POW story. His writing in this book is richer and more descriptive than I was prepared for, and I went through his entire captivity with him, while reading it. This sorrowful horror could have happened to any of us in the Delta, and this expereince should be required reading for anyone interested in that war. Communism definitely is not nice--and now that this country is under this control, we should not forget the sacrifices American men made for the Vietnamese during this civil war.

War in a Time of Peace: Bush, Clinton, and the Generals
War in a Time of Peace: Bush, Clinton, and the Generals
by David Halberstam
52 used & new from CDN$ 0.82

4.0 out of 5 stars War in a Time of Peace: Bush, Clinton, and the Generals, Nov. 2 2002
Thanks to David Halberstam once again for writing on American foreign policy and the types of people who run Washington, DC at the highest levels. Halberstam portrays these people who have somehow risen to the top after their civilian days bureaucraticaly involved with the Vietnam War. Mostly it scarred them instead of educating them. As a former helicopter pilot of that conflict, I hold them in as high a disdain as I did then. David Halberstam shows how these types proliferate around administrations such as Clinton's and cannot get off the dime making a decision. The book for me showed that even the news media sees no point in having war correspondents any more, and so the American public is kept in a high state of ambivalence while these post cold-war events play out. I have recommended reading this illlustrative book to any who are pondering our forthcoming possible war with Iraq. We cannot get "out of the box" following the Vietnam days. I am glad to be a veteran Army aviator instead--it has given me a much healthier stance upon life. Read my book OUTLAWS IN VIETNAM, and talk to a chopper pilot sometime....

A Dangerous Friend
A Dangerous Friend
by Ward Just
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dangerous Friend, Oct. 2 2002
This review is from: A Dangerous Friend (Hardcover)
I liked this book and liked seeing the civilian side of the war revealed. What a crock these people must have been about in the early days of the war. As an Army helicopter pilot, we viewed their efforts and flew them around on their missions to improve this country. Watching their seriousness and intrigue was amusing and quizical at best. We flew a lot of single ship missions in support of MACV and USAID; thank God our seriousness was about flying the Huey.
Read further about our side of the war with OUTLAWS IN VIETNAM; my book on flying UH-1D's out of Vinh Long in the Delta. Ward Just's book shows a very interesting story of what it must have been like to be French as this American involvement unfolds.

Thunderbird Lounge: An aviator's story about one early Transportation Helicopter company, along with its sister companies as they paved the way in what was to become "A Helicopter War"
by Robert Brandt
18 used & new from CDN$ 10.07

5.0 out of 5 stars DAVE EASTMAN, OUTLAW 23,-24, July 16 2002
I swapped my book, OUTLAWS IN VIETNAM, for Bob's book at the VHPA reunion in Las Vegas, 2002. This is a great book by Gen. Brandt typifying the events and life-style experienced at this early moment in Vietnam. The H-21's are graphically described in all their quirks and needs, as well as the skillful men who had to fly them. I find the earliest years of VN helicopter warfare fascinating to read, as these men not only laid down the tracks for we later aviators to utilize in mid-sixties on, but they quickly found out the political reality of Vietnam--which never changed. As Halberstam has stated, "the war was lost in 1964, not at the end of its duration." Our aviator job was tremendously enjoyed by all of us, but the Washington administrations never totally got it what a fluky scenario Vietnam was. We helicopter pilots surely got it, though.

Up Country: A Novel
Up Country: A Novel
by Nelson Demille
82 used & new from CDN$ 0.38

5.0 out of 5 stars UP COUNTRY: A Novel, April 3 2002
This review is from: Up Country: A Novel (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic novel for we Vietnam veterans pushing past our mid-fifties. So much remains in our heads about a time that is becoming so rapidly in the past, even 35 years at this point, that we need to become wrapped up in Paul Brenner's trek back to Saigon and connecting with this young corporate tigress of Susan Weber. She represents the NOW, the reality we would experience if we were in his shoes on a clandestine operation. Imagine travelling with a woman of her age, who never, ever experienced the Vietnam war as so many did in their present 45-55 year-old age brackets.
I would not want to revisit RVN as so many veterans seem to, because I believe it is now this place just as described by the author. He is very smart creating this mystery, but it is all too real for one who has known this strange, tropical nation.
My only question is, after reading 200 pages so far, in one sitting, is what is the reason he misspells Tan Son Nhut?? (Nhat) Or Beer 33, Ba-Muoi-Ba?? (Ba ba ba)?? How come?
I don't get it, when everything is so in place. But, I think all vets will feel the creeps reading this novel--it just takes you on a trip that seems so accurate, so why go back??! UP COUNTRY will serve very well instead. I will leave my flying memories of a '65 D-model Huey in my mind, and in my book, thank you. I would not want to traverse this communist country today. OUTLAWS IN VIETNAM will continue to be my memory bank; let it be so.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3