Profile for CosmicPagan > Reviews

Content by CosmicPagan

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

CosmicPagan "This Is My Fake Name Badge" (In the Aether and in the Other)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Coming Apart: Why Relationships End and How to Live Through the Ending of Yours
Coming Apart: Why Relationships End and How to Live Through the Ending of Yours
by Daphne Rose Kingma
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Spoke Right To Me, Sept. 28 2001
I've been in the middle of a disintegrating marriage for years, which has only recently come to a head in the form of a nasty divorce. When this book was recommended to me, I was a bit skeptical--I couldn't imagine what the author could say that i hadn't already figured for myself. But it was something more, something different. The book helped me to understand better how my husband and I had been coming part for so long, and it also showed me that I'm nowhere near alone. I should point out though that this book does not hold back for the benefit of the emotionally weak. I read it in the mindframe that my relationship was over, so maybe some of the brutal truths seemed a little less brutal as I'd already lived them. Overall, I'd say this is recommended reading for anyone in any kind of intimate relationship--its toughness is just an accurate mirror of reality.

Season Beyond A Kiss
Season Beyond A Kiss
by Kathleen E Woodiwiss
Price: CDN$ 9.89
103 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Beating The Residual DNA Of The Dead Horse, Sept. 10 2001
I wasn't all that crazy about The Flame and the Flower, so I suppose it's natural that I would wonder why this brick of a novel required a sequel. On that point, I need to mention that I did enjoy The Elusive Flame. But now I wasted my time trudging through A Season Beyond--set some twenty years before the previous sequel, if you can follow that--and the only thing I can think is that Woodiwiss is either making an effort for immortality or is simply in it for the money.
Okay, I think it's the money. Good thing I got this dud from the library instead of wasting money along with my time.
Woodiwiss has always been a little too purple in her prose for my tastes, but her writing in this novel is down rotten and her decriptions are ludicrous. What was the line about the sun weaning from its teat of earth as a description of the sunrise?
Kathleen, if you ever get the urge to type the name "Birmingham" in a manuscript again, scourge yourself. This story thread is dead, so please bury it.

Matando Gueros
Matando Gueros
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 10.90
17 used & new from CDN$ 10.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Yup, it's death metal...and?, Aug. 25 2001
This review is from: Matando Gueros (Audio CD)
"Brujeria (I think its pronounced Brukeria)"--the j is pronounced like an English H. Okay, that bugged me, now onto the album. My first exposure to Brujeria was the latest album Brujerizmo, which I think is one of the best pieces of music out there. Thus I went into hearing Matando Gueros kind of expecting something of the same quality. Well, it didn't happen. Don't get me wrong--this is a good death metal opus, and the lyrics are vastly amusing (provided you can read/understand Spanish). I just don't get quite the same charge. "La podere de la brujeria" apparently didn't reach it's full capacity until Brujerizmo.

The Necronomicon
The Necronomicon
by Simon
Price: CDN$ 8.54
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Love It Or Hate It, You Can't Ignore It, July 25 2001
So far as I'm concerned, the legitimacy and authenticity of this infamous work is no longer relevant. Its power is so built up by the people who have spent time thinking about it that in turn, it has become a significant work of the occult. All theories aside, I enjoyed the Necronomicon just as a book--it's a great read, and one I recommend to anyone who likes their literature on the unusual side.

Rites of Odin
Rites of Odin
by Ed Fitch
Price: CDN$ 16.57
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.64

1.0 out of 5 stars I Preferred Going Straight To The Eddas, Thank You, July 25 2001
This review is from: Rites of Odin (Paperback)
The Nordic traditions/Asatru/Odinism are way out of my depth as far as personal practice, but nevertheless I reach out to educate myself anyway. I picked up this book on a recommendation and had some rather high hopes. Unfortunately, I felt absolutely nothing. You might say "Oh, well, she's not in the trad, how does she know?" I'm comparing the experience of reading Fitch's book to reading the Poetic and Prose Eddas in addition to other works on the Teutonic way which did capture my interest and imagination. Perhaps if you're a seeker looking to Nordic ways you may find this book of greater value than I did, but I do not feel this is a good choice for the person seeking to broaden their background.

The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way Of Knowledge
The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way Of Knowledge
by Carlos Castaneda
Price: CDN$ 11.69
40 used & new from CDN$ 1.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Not For Everyone--PLEASE Handle With Care, June 11 2001
If you have a field of devilweed (datura) growing behind your house, don't get down on all fours and start grazing. Don Juan is not about teaching US this "Yaqui Way of Knowledge", but rather the unique story between a sorcerer-teacher and an eager student.
Ladies and gentlemen, I for one know with a preternatural certainty that Don Juan is not fiction. Let me say the shamanic experiences described herein ring true to me in recollection of my own visions and travels, and let's leave it at that.
Carlos Castaneda was a brilliant man. This is most obvious in his writing. After all, this is not the simplest topic in the world to write about, and yet Castaneda did so with wit, verve, and style. I especially appreciate how Don Juan is divided into two parts, experiential and academic (Castaneda was a graduate student at the time).
Someone said to me that Castaneda was "trite" compared to authors like Depak Chopra (cough cough). I'd believe that this person simply was unable to "get" Castaneda--maybe Don Juan was too intense and too earthy. Draw your own conclusions.

The Satanic Bible
The Satanic Bible
by Anton Szandor LaVey
Price: CDN$ 10.79
46 used & new from CDN$ 1.89

5.0 out of 5 stars At Least, Entertaining...At Most, Enlightening, June 11 2001
Okay, now looking at this book, throw out the words "Satanic" and "Bible" from your consideration. Can you do that? If so, you're ready to embrace everything this book has to offer without the weight of societal prejudice to weigh you down.
This book isn't talking about hating deity or being the Antichrist or any kind of dross like that. Shock of shocks--this is a book of PHILOSOPHY. Whether LaVey himself originally conceived of these ideas or not is unimportant; he did write them down so that you and I could use our own minds to read, ponder, and draw our own conclusions.
Here's my tip, folks. LaVey has five Satanic tomes to his credit. Most people begin with the Satanic Bible, but I think this is a mistake. If you are just beginning to explore LaVey's world, read the Devil's Notebook or Satan Speaks! before attempting this one. I say this because the other books are examples of philosophy in action, and the Satanic Bible might be clearer for a reader with this background.
And if you get easily offended at the word "Satanic", remember there are plenty of people around who would get offended by the word "Bible".

Priestess Of Avalon
Priestess Of Avalon
by Marion Zimmer Bradley
50 used & new from CDN$ 0.27

1.0 out of 5 stars No...No...NO MORE!!!, June 11 2001
This review is from: Priestess Of Avalon (Hardcover)
I mourned MZB's passing in 1999, but also saw it as the end of the ongoing slew of Mists prequels which were, so far as I'm concerned, detrimental to the lustre of the original.
Now I get slapped with Priestess of Avalon. No, I did not like it, and yes, I could detect the absence of MZB's thought and skill. To be honest, I have a hard time fitting this one into the Avalon series--what with its first person narrative and overall different feeling. There's not much of a story here at all--and after reading Forest House and Lady of Avalon, that's pretty bad. In sum, I suspect the publishers sought to link MZB and Avalon one more time in search for the almighty dollar. That, I think, is the biggest shame of all.

The Mists of Avalon
The Mists of Avalon
by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Price: CDN$ 15.16
105 used & new from CDN$ 1.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not At All Bad...Just A Little Preachy, June 11 2001
This review is from: The Mists of Avalon (Paperback)
Now let me say that I enjoy this book enough to regularly recommend it, especially to people unfamiliar with the Arthurian legends, Pagan practice and spirituality, or both.
All right, then what's my problem? Any novel--especially one of this size--that divides characters up like soldiers on a battlefield seems too fundamentally simple. In this case, it's the good, wise, mistreated Pagans of the Old Religion against the blundering, ignorant, and somewhat blind avatars of Christianity. The character of Morgaine, who's a rampant Goddess worship fundamentalist if ever there was one, is just as bad as Gwenyfhar and her endless pious Christian rantings. The supporting cast is little better and made up mostly of fence-sitters.
Having come to know Arthur through White and Mallory, I missed the emphasis on the new kind of law and legal philosophy Arthur was supposed to have brought with him. It's a personal thing, but debates about legal issues (and more importantly, changing people's outlooks) are a lot more interesting than endless pecking over spirituality. Granted, Mists was supposed to move the legends away from these things, but I'm not sure it's not "these things" which make the Arthurian legends what they are.

Esperanto Eng Eng Esperanto Dictionary   Phrasebook
Esperanto Eng Eng Esperanto Dictionary Phrasebook
by Joseph Conroy
17 used & new from CDN$ 2.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Green Stars, As This Book Deserves, April 25 2001
I would like to enlighten the few people who have made some rather nasty criticisms of this dictionary/phrasebook. Do you realize that the author is perhaps the foremost authority on Esperanto in North America and perhaps even the world? Do you think for a moment that ELNA does not know, condone, or appreciate this author for advocating the learning and speaking of Esperanto? Personally, I didn't find fault that the vocabulary was a litte less haughty and a whole lot more like the way human beings actually communicate. I would also suggest that the "serious student" go find another language to smack around for a while--Esperanto was INVENTED to be PRACTICAL. Esperanto is a tool--and a useful tool at that--for international communication, and this is where I see the emphasis in this particular work. That is what recommends this book in my opinion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4