Profile for Gray Alt > Reviews

Content by Gray Alt

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Gray Alt "Gray Alt" (Seattle, WA USA)

When I Pretend To Fall
When I Pretend To Fall
Price: CDN$ 16.81
21 used & new from CDN$ 9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars The Seattle scene has another band to be proud of., June 29 2004
This review is from: When I Pretend To Fall (Audio CD)
This album has absolutely floored me. It has blown me away.
I first heard about The Long Winters quite some time ago (before this album came out), and casually decided to check them out. I expected, like I do with most bands these days, not to be impressed. Well, I instantly liked them. Actually, I instantly loved them.
This record turned me onto them once again. But in an even bigger way. This is easily one of the greatest records I have had the pleasure of hearing in the last decade. I don't throw out a line like the easily. There is, as you know, TONS of great music out there. But this is the cream of the crop, it is truly amazing.
Each song on this album is unique. Each track is different from the others. So, most people who listen to this album have a different "favorite" song than their friends. Title track? Try every song. It is just all-too perfect, even for words.
You start out with "Blue Diamonds". This song is absolutely wonderful, it's a pop masterpiece. And with every listen you appreciate it more and more.
Next is "Scared Straight". I adore this song on so many different levels. The Sax adds true brilliance to it, and the rhythm and undertones of this song are, simply put, beautiful.
Then you have "Shapes". This song is built upon some fabulous guitar playing. The riffs and hooks in this song are so creative and original. The whole song plays through these and makes it's "feel" a very new one. It's catchy beyond belief.
Another great song is the acoustic magic of "It'll Be A Breeze". This song is so simple, especially compared to the other Winters tunes. It is all played on an acoustic guitar. None the less, the chords, timing, and rhythm are perfect. The vocals are magically moving. And it leaves you with truly "fresh" tease in your mouth.
And then of course we have "Stupid". A true pop piece. The chorus is really wonderful, but the verses are even superior. This song is so fun, and so well-built.
The Album ends with "Nora". A powerful and emotional track. I always really loved this song, but I found a new appreciation for it when seeing it preformed live. The passion involved was incredible. The vocals, the guitar solo- oh, the guitar solo, so mind blowing it was.
All in all, this record is perfect. It brings new hope to contemporary music. And a new favorite album for all of us.

Give Up
Give Up
Price: CDN$ 15.75
21 used & new from CDN$ 4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Electronica for Indie-Rock Fans, June 28 2004
This review is from: Give Up (Audio CD)
Allow me to start our by saying that I usually don't get too into Electronica. I, like some of you, generally prefer the raw sound of more conventional intruments. However, when I heard that Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie) was the Vocals for this Duo, I had to check it out. That is a decision I am so very thankful for.
This Album is perfection. From track to track you are taken through a dreamy ride of brilliantly-crafted songs. You get it all, from the pop-perfection of "Such Great Heights" To the thumb-tapping, magic of "Sleeping In" (that you just can't help but sing along).
If you are a fan of contemporay Seattle bands such as Death Cab and The Long Winters; or salivate over the greatness that is The Shins, then you will be more than pleased. If you long for catchy and creative pop songs that you just can't get out of your head (and don't want to!), then you will be thrilled. If you desire amazing songs, with an abundance of originality, and with powerful, meaningful, and beautiful lyrics, then you must buy this album.
Enjoy.