Profile for Leo > Reviews

Content by Leo

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Leo (Canada)

The Savage War: The Untold Battles of Afghanistan
The Savage War: The Untold Battles of Afghanistan
by Murray Brewster
6 used & new from CDN$ 31.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful and Inaccurate, Dec 22 2011
I just had a read through this mess, and I am very disappointed. I served in Afghanistan in 2006, and many details in this book are incorrect. Not small things either like who said what- but locations and actions of Company sized formations and significant incidents. It's as though the research was done through third person hearsay. With that in mind, I can't imagine what else the author got wrong. If you are interested in an accurate history or relation of how things really happen- DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK.

No Lack of Courage: Operation Medusa, Afghanistan
No Lack of Courage: Operation Medusa, Afghanistan
by Colonel Bernd Horn
Price: CDN$ 18.90
28 used & new from CDN$ 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, Feb. 12 2011
I was actually there for the duration of this book, and it's finally nice to see something written about what we really did. Nothing is ever perfect, but this is the best overall picture I've seen of what really happened, and it filled in some information gaps for me- as being on the ground you really only see your little piece of the fight. It's not going to be the defining book about Canada in Afghanistan, but it's up there with "Fifteen Days" for a decent look at how the fight really happens for us- it's an important piece of our modern history. Note that 1RCR recieved a Commander In Chief's Commendation for this Operation for "saving the city of Kandahar".