Profile for Leo > Reviews

Content by Leo

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Leo (Canada)

The Dogs Are Eating Them Now: Our War in Afghanistan
The Dogs Are Eating Them Now: Our War in Afghanistan
by Graeme Smith
Price: CDN$ 20.06
16 used & new from CDN$ 17.68

1.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect Details, Not To Be Trusted, Sept. 1 2014
I picked this up in a book store, as I knew exactly to what the title referred. Unfortunately Graeme Smith is an awful reporter! I read the chapter related to Op Medusa, where Smith was embedded with my unit. His relating of what actually happened is terribly inaccurate. The taliban were not "baited" with bodies. In this case, two insurgents engaged our men, and my unit returned fire. The insurgents were killed. Personnel moved forward to the bodies, it was confirmed that they were dead, and everyone pulled back. Before leaving, chemlights were attached to the bodies, so that anyone coming to move the bodies could be seen. At night dogs came and ate them. Nobody is moving into enemy held areas to wave off dogs. That is ALL that happened. Recce Platoon was not involved (it was also not "a" Recce Platoon, there is only one Infantry Recce Pl per Battle Group, Recce Squadron operates in "troops", and are armoured). Reconnaissance platoons are not the ones who lay in ambush even if that were the intent. It is going to be a hell of a mess when the media gets a hold of this book, and somebody inevitably starts talking about "war crimes"- rather than the fact that we didn't move enemy bodies after they attacked us (where we were supposed to put them I don't know- the Afghan Army was there as well and I have never seen them move bodies of insurgents they don't know).

Through this whole time we were short on manpower for the operation we had to undertake (which is why Op Medusa was so difficult). If we had trippled the numbers it would not have been so difficult, but sometimes that's how the Army works.

I also take issue with Smith's regular use of "a" person. He will use a specific name in a quote, then shortly thereafter refer to "a" Major/Warrant Officer etc, but I happen to know that they are often the same person he quotes multiple times. I recognize the circumstances in his quotes, and can pick out with 99% certainty who said them. He should have had all the names in his notes as he was only embedded with ONE platoon during this time. Each company only has one major, and each platoon only has one warrant officer and three sergeants. If he couldn't be bothered to write down the names (which I find hard to believe, I think it is an attempt to seem as though he had a much wider ranging experience than he did), it would have been VERY easy to speak to anyone who was there and confirm the details.

Be very suspect of what is written in this book, it appears to be an attempt to show off about his "wide ranging" knowledge. I only bothered to read this chapter in the book store, then put the book down and will not waste any of my money to read the rest. I can't verify or contest anything else he wrote, but as for this chapter he failed to report accurately or responsibly.

The Savage War: The Untold Battles of Afghanistan
The Savage War: The Untold Battles of Afghanistan
by Murray Brewster

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful and Inaccurate, Dec 22 2011
I just had a read through this mess, and I am very disappointed. I served in Afghanistan in 2006, and many details in this book are incorrect. Not small things either like who said what- but locations and actions of Company sized formations and significant incidents. It's as though the research was done through third person hearsay. With that in mind, I can't imagine what else the author got wrong. If you are interested in an accurate history or relation of how things really happen- DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK.

No Lack of Courage: Operation Medusa, Afghanistan
No Lack of Courage: Operation Medusa, Afghanistan
by Colonel Bernd Horn
Price: CDN$ 20.76
23 used & new from CDN$ 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, Feb. 12 2011
I was actually there for the duration of this book, and it's finally nice to see something written about what we really did. Nothing is ever perfect, but this is the best overall picture I've seen of what really happened, and it filled in some information gaps for me- as being on the ground you really only see your little piece of the fight. It's not going to be the defining book about Canada in Afghanistan, but it's up there with "Fifteen Days" for a decent look at how the fight really happens for us- it's an important piece of our modern history. Note that 1RCR recieved a Commander In Chief's Commendation for this Operation for "saving the city of Kandahar".