ARRAY(0xb3181690)

Profile for Caligula > Reviews

Content by Caligula

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Caligula (George, Western Cape South Africa)

2002 To 2003 Penguin Guide To Compact Discs
2002 To 2003 Penguin Guide To Compact Discs
by Ivan March
17 used & new from CDN$ 7.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, March 26 2002
My sentiments very much tend to echo those of the previous reviewer.
This book remains indispensable for any serious collector of classical music. I have made numerous purchases based on the recommendations in this book and have been rarely disappointed (in particular with the sterile Naxos recording of Bruckner's motets - rather buy the Jochum on DG).
My reservations are twofold:
1) Too little report on action at the independent classical labels, eg: Martin Jones' excellent second cycle of Spanish Piano Music for Nimbus remains unreviewed. Various excellent Russian recordings devoted to Grechaninov's choral works exist (Chandos, Olympia) but the only one reviewed is (needless to say) a British one.
2) Glaring ommissions. Composerwise I'll stick with Pavel Chesnokov - probably the most important Russian composer composing almost exclusively choral works. Excellent recordings were released by Olympia, but no mention. As regards compositions, I was disappointed by the paucity of reviews of Sarasate works for violin and piano (other than the Zigeunerweisen and the Carmen fantasy, which are almost mainstream) - Rachel Barton and Itzhak Perlman come to mind.
Still, an excellent guide.

Masses
Masses
Price: CDN$ 21.21
18 used & new from CDN$ 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, March 23 2000
This review is from: Masses (Audio CD)
Being long under the impression that Bruckner's major achievement lay in his symphonies, the motets and the Te Deum, this CD-set came as quite a revelation to me.
Being a very devout Catholic, Bruckner left us with sublimely beautiful music in these Masses. Although al three masses were composed in his forties, the music strongly bears his signature: elements of mystery, striking thematic material, and deep spiritual devotion.
Jochum has a powerful vision, the singing of the choir is ethereal, and the recording after all these years retains a vivid presence.
The music has a strong emotional effect on me; listening to it is a spiritual experience.
Someone once said that God gave us music so that we could pray without words. This is the music I would expect to hear upon arrival in Heaven.