Profile for John > Reviews

Content by John

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

John "Ira" (New Jersey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Volcano
Volcano
Price: CDN$ 34.95
4 used & new from CDN$ 29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible black metal album, July 18 2004
This review is from: Volcano (Audio CD)
"ON MY SIGNAL.....UNLEASH HELL"
and with those words one of my favorite albums begins. This is my favorite satyricon reconrd next to Nemesis Divina. Sure the guitar wor is slower and the sound is alot clearer then previous Satyricon releases but still an incredible album. Satyr is a musical genius, He handles all vocal,lyric,synth,bass,guitar work for satyricon the other member of satyricon, Frost, right now hes one of my favorite drummers. This might be his best satyricon album. Here is the problem people seem to have with this album. Its there 1st on a major record label which is owned by the guitarist from the well known nu-metal band system of a down. I say, so frigging what hes not making the damn album so don't judge it by that. My favorite tracks off of "volcano" would be Fuel for hatred, repined (...) natin and mental mercury.
extra features includes the unedited banned version of the video for "fuel for hatred" I hope this review could help you on this certain album, enjoy.

JoJo
JoJo
Price: CDN$ 14.19
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Read this review and not take me for a close minded jerk, July 18 2004
This review is from: JoJo (Audio CD)
Now, you might be reading this list and exspecting this sucks its crap! and hand out a bunch insults upon this certain music artist. Not at all. I just dislike pop music. Also I have heard this album, I work at a record store part time. I have a co=worher and she constantly is playing this record. I just feel it truly lacks lyrical depth and musical talent that makes beautiful music.I mean shes 13 years old. Does she even know what she musically wants? I doubt it. So in conclusion. If you like pop music you will like this. If your a parent looking for some "nice appropriate music" for your young child then this is the cd for you.

Midian
Midian
Price: CDN$ 17.16
7 used & new from CDN$ 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars (4.5 stars) Has its great aspects, has its poor aspects, July 17 2004
This review is from: Midian (Audio CD)
Now. Midian is a great album but some parts just don't feel as good as past work. Now The Principle of evil made flesh and dusk and her embrace were heavier then Cruelty and the beast, BUT the guitar work, lyrics and keyboards were alot better. I always hear Midian was the album that made them mainstream. How? They didn't sell millions of albums, make 6 singles. Have guest appearences on mtv. Just doing what they have always done. I think even though the lyrics aren't up to par with cof, I feel "her ghost in the fog" was beautifully written of love lost. This was also Gian's last LP with the band, he was my favorite cof guitarist and it was sad to see him leave. At 1st I truly disliked this album. Would have given it three stars at most but as I listened to it more and more I began to really warm up to it. Sarah (backing female vocals) seems to be improving her already beautiful vocals which is quite obvious on "her ghost in the fog" and "tearing the veil from grace" If you love cof you will find some enjoyment out of this even if not as much as others. Enjoy.

Bitter Suites to Succubi
Bitter Suites to Succubi
Price: CDN$ 25.44
7 used & new from CDN$ 13.45

5.0 out of 5 stars What an ep should be, July 17 2004
No matter what type of record cradle of filth trys to do wether it be live,greatest hits,ep,lp they are always trying to make it the best they can. This is truly shown in the ep "Bitter Suites to Succubi" This album includes two new insturment, A cover song of sisters of mercy's "no time to cry" four brand new songs and amd three old cradle of filth songs re-recorded. I mean, why would I want to shell out 15 dollars for four songs and a remix? Cradle of filth always makes your purchase worth while. Now to change the subject a bit. I notice people saying in reviews of numerous cof products and also people I personally know. About how they used to enjoy cradle of filth but now a days don't enjoy it as much because they have found more trule BM. This has never happened to be because I really don't see cof as black metal, they have elements to them that are bm but are not true black metal. So enjoy there music for what it is. Now onto my thoughts of the tracks.
Sin deep my wicked angel -4.5/5 One of my all time favorite cof insturmentals.
All hope in eclipse - 4/5 A very good full length opener the guitar work is done well
Born in a burial gown - 4.5/5 A single and a good choice at that Martin has some good keyboard work here.
Summer dying fast - 5/5 An old song re-done from TPOEMF album very good.
No time to cry - 5/5 Sisters of mercy Cover, they did quite well with it I was impressed.
The principle of evil made flesh - 5/5 the re-done version, from the same album as the title of this song.In all the re-done versions the songs are less raw and alot more clear this is most noticable in this song

Suicide and other comforts - 50/5 My favorite cof song right here everything is magnificant and beautiful, this song brought me to tears the 1st time I heard it.
Dinner at deviant's palace - 3/5 eerie insturmental, has the father's pray I believe sung backwards.
The black goddess Rises 2 - 6/5 Another re-done song from TPOEMF album and the best one at that, I love how it goes from heavy to melodic and back to being heavy
Scorched earth erotica - 10/5 another single and my 2nd favorite from this album. The lyrics and keyboards are supurb.
So ends this review. I hope you found some help in it about this album, enjoy.

Lovecraft & Witch Heart
Lovecraft & Witch Heart
Price: CDN$ 20.20
12 used & new from CDN$ 5.55

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best greatest hits I have purchased, July 17 2004
This review is from: Lovecraft & Witch Heart (Audio CD)
Now many bands while attempting to piece together a "greatest hits" album will not even begin to think of fan favorites. Or give a well rounded record of there work but just put the hits on here. Cradle of filth do not do this here. The tracks are choosen very well and gives a good over look of cof's career. It also has a booklet describing cof's career up to the point of its release(02)
DISK 1: LOVECRAFT
This is the disk which features tracks from past lp's and ep's Track listing below:
1. Creatures That Kissed in Cold Mirrors
8. Saffron's Curse
9. Malice Through the Looking Glass
10. Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids
11. Lord Abortion
My favorite tracks from this album would be : Funeral in carpathia(be quick or be dead version) cruelty brought thee orchids and saffron's curse.
DISK 2 WITCHHEARTS
This disk Features B-sides, covers and remixes. Quite convienant to have them all on one disk. Track listing below:
1. Once Upon Atrocity
10. Of Dark Blood and F**king [Stripped to the Bone Mix]
11. Dance Macabre
12. Hell Awaits
13. Hallowed Be Thy Name
My favorite tracks from this disk would be: Hallowed be thy name, Lustmord and wargasm 2, Thirteen autumns and a widow{Red october mix}
So, as I have before if your new to cof Buy this 1st, if your an old cof fan yet undecided on wether to get this or not. Buy it.
In conclusion, I hope this review has somewhat helped you, enjoy.

Bringer of Blood
Bringer of Blood
Price: CDN$ 15.72
25 used & new from CDN$ 4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Bringer Of Blood, July 17 2004
This review is from: Bringer of Blood (Audio CD)
This, is one of my favorite sfu albums. Yeah the guitar work is a little different then you might exspect and yes they are now being called "sell-outs" but overall I find this to be a good album. Lyrically I am noticing a change for the better even if only in two songs. "amerika the brutal" and "Bringer of blood" I mean, anybody who listens to dm knows lyrics are usually about religion bashing,murder,suicide etc. So it can become quite repetitive but somehow This album somehow avoids that feeling of being repetitive. So in my humble opinion I think you will either enjoy this album or or want to use it as a coaster. Enjoy

Cruelty and the Beast
Cruelty and the Beast
Price: CDN$ 23.99
8 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no beast without cruelty, July 15 2004
This review is from: Cruelty and the Beast (Audio CD)
While not as Heavy as "dusk and her embrace" or as fast as "the principle of evil made flesh" this is some of the most beautiful music i have ever listened to in my opinion. "cruelty and the beast" tells the story of a one Elizebeth Bathory from the 1600's ( I apoligize if that isnt the exact time) Whom had a liking for virgin blood. It follows her from her Rise to her demise. Through Dani's lyrics the story is wonderfully told. This is an album, where I can find something special about every track. I feel they really had a goal to set for themselves as a band when they recorded this album and I believe they reached it. Now I hear many whom aren't fans of cof complain about the style of dani filth's vocals, are they a little odd and unique? Yes. Now onto my thoughts on the tracks. I will not explain the concept of the album because chances are you already know it. So i will just give my personal opinions.
Once upon atrocity - 4/5 I really believe cof trys there best with there short insturmentals and they are usually worth a few listens
Thirteen autumns and A widow - 10/5 The 1st song I heard when I bought this album it truly blew me away.
Cruelty Brought thee orchids 5/5 Definetly a fan favorite and for good reason I love dani's style of vocals in this song.
Beneath the howling star - 6/5 A beautiful song I love Sara's (backing female vocals) In this song
Veuns in fear - 3/5 Probably the only cof insturmental I have not been able to get into.
Desire in violent overture - 5/5 Another incredible song I lvoe the guitar in this one, it goes from a heavy solo and it becomes more melodic throughout the song.
The twisted nails of faith - 5/5 I love the lyrics in this one has a very eerie violin intro.
Bathory Aria - 20/5 Truly an epic if forced to pick a favorite song on this album it would be this song. Clocking in at over 11 minutes its truly beautiful and a masterpiece.
Portrait of the dead countess - 4/5 A good insturmental sets the mood for the final song.
Lustmord and wargasm( the lick of carnivorous winds) - 6/5 Incredible song beautiful intro. The final chapter in the incredible story that is "cruelty and the beast"
DISC 2 ( BONUS CD)
Now, onto the bonus cd. (NOTE: none of the these songs are involved with the story, unless you count the redone version of Lustmord and wargasm)
Lustmord and Wargasm ( therelicking of cadaverous wounds) - 6/5 As good as the origional. Nothing to say about this that I haven't already said.
Black Metal - 4/5 A good cover song Dani definetly did well here vocal wise.
Hallowed be thy name - 20/5 Incredible iron maiden cover. Just incredible possiblly the best cover song I have ever heard.
Sodomy and lust 4/5 A good Metal song not much else to say.
Twisting further nails - 3/5 a DECENT remix of the twisted nails of faith. Seems to techno at points to be cof worth a listen though.
In conclusion a beautiful album you will need to hear for yourself. Enjoy.

Damnation & a Day
Damnation & a Day
Price: CDN$ 19.60
22 used & new from CDN$ 6.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Have cof reached there own "end of daze"?, July 14 2004
This review is from: Damnation & a Day (Audio CD)
Some long time cof fans might believe so. every band has one album where fans seem to be spilt down the midell upon on if its crap or a masterpiece. I feel damnation and a day is that album for cradle of filth.Personally its not there best record in my eyes, yet its not there worst and still worthy of 5 stars. Now 1st this album seems alot more riff driven then past albums this obviously because of the new guitarist. The riffs just aren't as good I wish gian hadn't left the band. Yet it seems with this album cof has evolved and shows that even though they have been around for a decade they can still do something new. The concept in this album is truly massive. Disecting satan's rise and fall. Even though I do prefer older cradle of filth insturmentals they are still good. If you are just getting into cradle of filth this is the album to start with. If you are already a fan of cof chances are you already have this album and I am just taking up your time. I will list my favorite tracks below in order.
1. Thank god for the suffering
2. Hurt and virute
3. Mannequin
4.Serpent tounge
5. Better to Reign in hell
So in conclusion tis is a great metal record, but in some area's just isn't up to par with cof's standards. I also am glad they are off epic records and now signed to roadrunner I feel being on that label they will be able to mature even more. Enjoy.

Dusk and Her Embrace
Dusk and Her Embrace
Price: CDN$ 19.38
5 used & new from CDN$ 9.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty meets Brutal, June 21 2004
This review is from: Dusk and Her Embrace (Audio CD)
Over the past year and a half, Cradle Of Filth have become one of my favortie bands. They are always accused of making black metal popular, being sell-outs yeah whatever. I am not here to drown on about close minded fools. So onto the album.
This is a beautiful album, I love every aspect of it. This is probably tied with cruelty and the beast as my favorite cof album. I just find the lyrics beautiful and inspiering in there own way. The music as well is just brutal at times and beautiful another/ If you are new to cof or black metal in general the vocal styles will be difficult to get used to at 1st. Now time for my thoughts on the songs themselves.
Humana inspired to nightmare - 4/5 One of my favorite cof insurmentals truly beautiful.
Heaven torn asunder - 4.5/5 A great full length song opener. Sets the mood well for this album
Funeral in Carpathia - 20/5 My favorite song off of this album and one of my favorite cof songs in general, a beautiful epic.
A gothic romance (red rose for the devils whor*) - 5/5 Probably the best example of beauty meets brutal on this album great lyrics as well.
Malice through the looking glass - 6/5 An incredlbile song, I love the orchestrated intro
Dusk and her embrace - 5/5 Title track for this album and a great song at that a real fan favorite.
The graveyard by moonlight - 4/5 Another great instrumental worth a few listens
Beauty slept in sodom - 15/5 2nd favorite song off of this album has some of cofs best lyrics.

Haunted shores - The best possible closing song for this album I love the violen intro.
So, to put an end to this review. This is a modern masterpiece in my eyes. I would not advice if you are new to cof to start with this album. My opinion is you buy maybe damnation and a day & lovecraft and witch hearts 1st. I hope you found some helpfulness in this review. Enjoy

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses
Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses
Price: CDN$ 9.65
44 used & new from CDN$ 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, I like slipknot. So frigging what?, June 20 2004
Yes, I am a slipknot fan. I enjoy the music they make. I am honestly tired of "true metal fans" grouping one bands fan base into a bunch if idiots, even though most act like a bunch of imbecilic fools. I love all metal, If I want to listen to nu-metal I will listen to korn, slipknot,tool,mudvayne or motograter. If i want some good ole heavy metal then i'd choose 80's metallica, pantera or iron maiden. For death metal i'd choose deicide, cannibal corpse, six feet under, or morbid angel. Black metal (my personal favorite genre) I'd pick, cradle of filth, dimmu borgir, gorgoroth,emperor,mayhem, and old mans child. Melodic death metal I think would be in flames and arch enemy and some great new heavy metal bands are avenged sevenfold, chimaira,killswitch engage,and lamb of god. So really do not judge somebody for one band they like. Now onto the album.
Personally, this is my favorite slipknot album. There are points it doesn't even feel like nu-metal. They have matured and grown. Yet, it seems like most of the angry pre-teens are pissed for the lack of anger and parental advisory sticker. Pitiful.
Prelude 4.0 - 4/5 Really shows emotion Love corey's vocals here
The blister exists - 6/5 One of my favorites on the album percussion in this song is great
Three nil - 5/5 Another favorite of mine I believe this song discusses about the thrashing slipknot takes from "true metal fans"
duality - 4.5/5 1st single from the album, represents this album very well
opium of the people - 4/5 Not great but the guitar work saves it.
circles - 4.5/5 Yes an acoustic song and a good one at that
welcome - 4/5 Definetly a good song but not a great song
vermillion pt 1 - 5/5 beautiful lyrics one of the best
pulse of the maggots - 4/5 good solo, good lyrics could be a single
Before i forget - 10/5 Could be my favorite off of this album. Great chorus
vermilion pt 2 - 5/5 Another acoustic, and A brilliant one at that.
The nameless 4.5/5 Goes from heavy to melodic within seconds original
The virus of life - 10/5 Another one that could be my favorite musically it is a great song and also lyrically it reminds me of prosthetics
danger - keep away 4.5/5 A good closing song.
So, in conclusion you don't have to like a band but I mean christ. Give slipknot a joke it seems almost the cool thing in metal to hate them. Enjoy this album if your open minded enough to buy it you will be rewarded.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7