Profile for Charly Pazdor > Reviews

Content by Charly Pazdor

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Charly Pazdor "Charly" (Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Discovered: Live In Concert
Discovered: Live In Concert
Price: CDN$ 19.77
38 used & new from CDN$ 10.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden gems on a very good album, June 26 2015
This album was a pleasant surprise. The live performances were entertaining, capturing a lot of the humour of the group. The recordings are of top quality. It's probably fair to say that my review reflects my bias as a long term fan who has seen them live a few times.

Redemption Road
Redemption Road
Offered by PaperbackshopCA
Price: CDN$ 16.28
8 used & new from CDN$ 16.25

4.0 out of 5 stars He's still got it!, June 26 2015
This review is from: Redemption Road (Audio CD)
It almost certainly helps if you're a Tom Paxton fan. If you are, this is great album from a great artist. It's amazing that he's still writing and recording in his 70s. I enjoyed the album and have already listened a number of times.

Afternoon Delight: A Golden Classics Edition
Afternoon Delight: A Golden Classics Edition
Price: CDN$ 20.59
10 used & new from CDN$ 20.59

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than Afternoon Delight..., May 22 2015
I just love the music of the group. It's good to have it on CD -- It's hard to play my vinyl records in the car...

Little Shop of Horrors (Widescreen)
Little Shop of Horrors (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Rick Moranis
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 38.34
9 used & new from CDN$ 17.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern day cult classic, Aug. 21 2013
The movie has great music. There's humour, touching romantic scenes and wonderful performances by the lead actors, capped off by impressive special effects for Audrey 2, the plant.

So Beautiful or So What
So Beautiful or So What
Price: CDN$ 18.13
57 used & new from CDN$ 8.41

5.0 out of 5 stars A master at work, Aug. 21 2013
This review is from: So Beautiful or So What (Audio CD)
This CD is a delight to listen to. I was amazed when I first listened and was even moved by some of the lyrics. The music is wonderful and the album calls for repeated listening. I have been a Paul Simon fan for years, but I was taken aback by how good this CD is. And beyond my usual admiration for the great work by a great artist, I also enjoyed the humour in some of the lyrics.

Stranger Than Fiction [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
Stranger Than Fiction [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Will Ferrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a wonderful movie, Aug. 21 2013
The movie is funny, but it wouldn't be right to simply call it a comedy. It has a touching story and the performances by the main actors are superb -- Will Ferrell in particular is a delight to watch, it is, by far, my favourite of all his movies. Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson and Maggie Gyllenhaal also do an outstanding job. I loved the dialog -- it was extremely clever in parts -- and I especially loved the way the characters came to accept the reality of what was happening, even while realizing that it was unreal. It's a movie I can watch again and again -- I highly recommend this movie.

To Rome with Love / Rome mon amour (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
To Rome with Love / Rome mon amour (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Roberto Benigni
Price: CDN$ 11.00
13 used & new from CDN$ 11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Woody Allen working his magic, Aug. 20 2013
Not on a par with Midnight in Paris, but still very entertaining. There are four stories in the movie, but they don't overlap nor intersect. That didn't bother me because I found each one fun to watch -- even the silly story that Allen puts himself in. The magic for me was going along for the ride -- and not worrying that this movie is not about reality.

The Decalogue [Import]
The Decalogue [Import]
DVD ~ Krzysztof Kieslowski
Offered by VideoWorks
Price: CDN$ 89.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 59.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Based on the Ten Commandments (sort of), Aug. 20 2013
This review is from: The Decalogue [Import] (DVD)
The packaging and liner notes suggest that each of the 10 movies is tied to one of the Commandments. It's not clear that it's exactly true but it doesn't matter. The moral dilemmas that are addressed are ones being faced by real people. Roger Ebert advises not to watch them all at once -- to give yourself time to absorb and ponder. I watched 2-3 at a sitting and the magic worked for me.

Seven Psychopaths / Les Psychopathes (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
Seven Psychopaths / Les Psychopathes (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Colin Farrell
Price: CDN$ 7.96
16 used & new from CDN$ 4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars It felt like a Tarantino movie, Aug. 20 2013
The movie has interesting characters with great dialog. There is a fair amount of action/killing -- but I guess that might be expected, given the title. Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken give wonderful performances.

Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?: Workout myths, Training truths, and Other Surprising Discoveries from the Science of Exercise
by Alex Hutchinson
Price: CDN$ 16.93
13 used & new from CDN$ 7.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book about the science of Exercise, Aug. 20 2013
The book is very readable -- broken down into themed chapters with sub-sections (effectively articles) addressing a related topic and all followed by a useful summary at the end of each chapter.
The author does an outstanding job of substituting facts for impressions. The book refers to a number of studies relating to exercise -- like stretching, nutrition, aging. In some cases, showing what really works and what might be described as myth (or at least, what is not supported by research).
While you can read it straight through, my suggestion is to pick the chapters and the articles that are of greatest interest to you, then get around to the others when you have time.
I've been a runner and a reader about running for 35 years and I feel that I learned a lot.
I highly recommend the book.

Page: 1 | 2