Profile for Charly Pazdor > Reviews

Content by Charly Pazdor

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Charly Pazdor "Charly" (Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Little Shop of Horrors (Widescreen)
Little Shop of Horrors (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Rick Moranis
Offered by torontomediadvd_com
Price: CDN$ 29.88
7 used & new from CDN$ 15.28

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern day cult classic, Aug. 21 2013
The movie has great music. There's humour, touching romantic scenes and wonderful performances by the lead actors, capped off by impressive special effects for Audrey 2, the plant.

So Beautiful or So What
So Beautiful or So What
Price: CDN$ 15.58
37 used & new from CDN$ 1.35

5.0 out of 5 stars A master at work, Aug. 21 2013
This review is from: So Beautiful or So What (Audio CD)
This CD is a delight to listen to. I was amazed when I first listened and was even moved by some of the lyrics. The music is wonderful and the album calls for repeated listening. I have been a Paul Simon fan for years, but I was taken aback by how good this CD is. And beyond my usual admiration for the great work by a great artist, I also enjoyed the humour in some of the lyrics.

Stranger Than Fiction [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
Stranger Than Fiction [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Will Ferrell
Price: CDN$ 14.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 13.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a wonderful movie, Aug. 21 2013
The movie is funny, but it wouldn't be right to simply call it a comedy. It has a touching story and the performances by the main actors are superb -- Will Ferrell in particular is a delight to watch, it is, by far, my favourite of all his movies. Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson and Maggie Gyllenhaal also do an outstanding job. I loved the dialog -- it was extremely clever in parts -- and I especially loved the way the characters came to accept the reality of what was happening, even while realizing that it was unreal. It's a movie I can watch again and again -- I highly recommend this movie.

To Rome with Love / Rome mon amour (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
To Rome with Love / Rome mon amour (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Roberto Benigni
Offered by The Digital Vault
Price: CDN$ 17.99
13 used & new from CDN$ 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Woody Allen working his magic, Aug. 20 2013
Not on a par with Midnight in Paris, but still very entertaining. There are four stories in the movie, but they don't overlap nor intersect. That didn't bother me because I found each one fun to watch -- even the silly story that Allen puts himself in. The magic for me was going along for the ride -- and not worrying that this movie is not about reality.

The Decalogue [Import]
The Decalogue [Import]
DVD ~ Krzysztof Kieslowski
Offered by VideoWorks
Price: CDN$ 89.99
14 used & new from CDN$ 60.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Based on the Ten Commandments (sort of), Aug. 20 2013
This review is from: The Decalogue [Import] (DVD)
The packaging and liner notes suggest that each of the 10 movies is tied to one of the Commandments. It's not clear that it's exactly true but it doesn't matter. The moral dilemmas that are addressed are ones being faced by real people. Roger Ebert advises not to watch them all at once -- to give yourself time to absorb and ponder. I watched 2-3 at a sitting and the magic worked for me.

Seven Psychopaths / Les Psychopathes (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
Seven Psychopaths / Les Psychopathes (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Colin Farrell
Price: CDN$ 7.96
16 used & new from CDN$ 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It felt like a Tarantino movie, Aug. 20 2013
The movie has interesting characters with great dialog. There is a fair amount of action/killing -- but I guess that might be expected, given the title. Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken give wonderful performances.

Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?: Workout myths, Training truths, and Other Surprising Discoveries from the Science of Exercise
by Alex Hutchinson
Price: CDN$ 16.60
10 used & new from CDN$ 9.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book about the science of Exercise, Aug. 20 2013
The book is very readable -- broken down into themed chapters with sub-sections (effectively articles) addressing a related topic and all followed by a useful summary at the end of each chapter.
The author does an outstanding job of substituting facts for impressions. The book refers to a number of studies relating to exercise -- like stretching, nutrition, aging. In some cases, showing what really works and what might be described as myth (or at least, what is not supported by research).
While you can read it straight through, my suggestion is to pick the chapters and the articles that are of greatest interest to you, then get around to the others when you have time.
I've been a runner and a reader about running for 35 years and I feel that I learned a lot.
I highly recommend the book.

A Very She & Him Christmas
A Very She & Him Christmas
Price: CDN$ 16.93
25 used & new from CDN$ 7.33

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like She & Him, you'll love this, Dec 9 2011
It was what I expected when I ordered the album -- and that's a good thing. As the description says: you get Zooey Deschanel's soulful vocal delivery and Ward's impressive guitar work. And that makes listening an enjoyable and often fun experience. Some interesting and different choices for songs -- and that's a good thing too.

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Blu-ray/DVD Combo
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Blu-ray/DVD Combo
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 17.69
22 used & new from CDN$ 8.97

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Joy to watch, March 11 2011
At the end of 2010, I read a reviewer's top 10 list for the year. His number 1 was Scott Pilgrim. His point was that no movie in 2010 gave him more enjoyment to watch. That's how I felt about this movie. My two sons ages 18 & 21 both loved the film, the younger one almost as much as me. I loved that there was no hiding Toronto in winter and some of its landmarks, but that was only worth a few points. I loved the humour -- the mere fact that there were characters called "Lady Dudes"; the recurring joke about the bad haircut, are just two examples. The story, the music, the images, the acting performances, the action, the colours and sounds were all part of the enjoyment. (The Blu-ray with the 7.1 sound helped too.) It was a movie that I was happy to watch 3 or 4 times.

Eli Stone: The Complete Second Season
Eli Stone: The Complete Second Season
DVD ~ Jonny Lee Miller
Price: CDN$ 15.93
31 used & new from CDN$ 9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars It was a great show, Sept. 21 2009
While season two didn't have the same magic as season one, it was still so much more enjoyable than most of what's on network TV. Besides being different, it was always had interesting plots coupled with great performances... and great music. It never failed to entertain me and I'm going to miss it.

Page: 1 | 2