Profile for Doug the stay home dad > Reviews

Content by Doug the stay ...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Doug the stay home dad (Calgary, Alberta Canada)

Fujifilm Fujinon Lens XF27mmF2.8 Compact Prime Lens
Fujifilm Fujinon Lens XF27mmF2.8 Compact Prime Lens
Price: CDN$ 449.99
9 used & new from CDN$ 449.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The sleeper lens of the Fuji lineup, June 17 2014
Although the maximum aperture is only f/2.8, this lens is the handiest of the Fuji lineup. It is light, small and sharp. The inexpensive price makes it a bargain. It focusses more quickly than most of the other Fuji lenses. I love the 35 and the 23, but the compact size of this lens makes me want to keep it on the camera most of the time. I would like a manual aperture ring, but I gladly give it up for the small size.

ASTÉRIX CHEZ LES BELGES
ASTÉRIX CHEZ LES BELGES
by RENÉ GOSCINNY
Price: CDN$ 16.10
25 used & new from CDN$ 11.68

4.0 out of 5 stars captivantes., Nov. 22 2012
The hilarious stories and captivating drawings in the original 24 Asterix books are a great incentive for anyone to learn to read French.
Ces bandes dessinées sont assez bien écrites qu'elles encouragent l'apprentissage de la lecture.

Arctic Cycle: Two Wheels, Ice and Fire
Arctic Cycle: Two Wheels, Ice and Fire
by Andy Shackleton
Price: CDN$ 19.98
16 used & new from CDN$ 15.13

2.0 out of 5 stars Less of an adventure than a travelogue, Nov. 22 2012
This was a fairly average book about a bike tour around Iceland. Once I saw a bird. Many disjointed irrelevant thoughts about the author's childhood. Lots of sentence fragments.
I love a good adventure story, and I like to read about people's trips to distant lands and the things they encounter. This book could have been good if it was marketed as a travelogue rather than an adventure tale and if it had been condensed, edited, and contained more insight. Even the title, which implies cycling in the arctic, fails to mention that it is fundamentally a book about an on-road tour near the arctic circle, in the summer. It is unfortunate, but this genre is plagued by poor writing and this book is no exception.

Middle Cyclone
Middle Cyclone
Price: CDN$ 16.59
29 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars another strong album, Jan. 18 2010
This review is from: Middle Cyclone (Audio CD)
If you liked Fox Confessor, this is a logical progression. I can think of very few artists who have put out as many albums as Neko Case and continue to progress musically. This album stands with the best of the year.

Rowing the Atlantic: Lessons Learned on the Open Ocean
Rowing the Atlantic: Lessons Learned on the Open Ocean
by Roz Savage
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Candid and unusually well written, Nov. 25 2009
I have read most of the rowing the ocean books and this is a fantastic example of the genre at it's best. Rather than focussing on the technical details, Roz Savage has opted to provide some insight into her motivations, thoughts, doubts and even despair.
Many of this type of adventure tale degenerate into dull chronicles of the days' and weeks' events and can be downright boring. Instead, this is a chronicle of one woman's discovery of herself through freeing herself from possessions, job and comfort. This book is a terrific inspiration to get out of any type of rut.

Zen Shorts
Zen Shorts
by Jon J Muth
Price: CDN$ 14.43
53 used & new from CDN$ 1.88

5.0 out of 5 stars I had my doubts but I was wrong, April 5 2007
This review is from: Zen Shorts (Hardcover)
I thought this might be an annoying preachy book given the religious tone of the title.

This is not a religious book. It is about a (talking) panda who befriends three children and tells stories to them with moral and philosophical themes. It is presented in a narrative that children can enjoy and understand. I was surprised at how much my three year old loves this book - but then we gave it to several of our friends' children and they all seem to like it equally.

The artwork is beautiful for adults and engaging for children.

I heartily endorse this book.

Childrens Album
Childrens Album
Price: CDN$ 8.54
26 used & new from CDN$ 5.12

4.0 out of 5 stars great but slightly dated, April 5 2007
This review is from: Childrens Album (Audio CD)
My boy loves Johnny Cash. He frequently sings Foulsom Prison Blues including the "I shot a man in Reno" line.

Of course, he loves this album.

My only reservation about this album is the number of riffles in it. With today's general feeling about bears leaning toward conservation and away from extermination, the song "Tiger Whitehead" is a bit of an anachronism. The same with "Shep", where the dog needs to be put down and Johnny raises his riffle to do it.

This is not necessarily Johnny Cash in his prime but it is still a great album.

Even with whatever flaws this album has, it shines in the world of heavily marketed tv show themed children's albums.

Ablum
Ablum
Offered by cdbasement canada
Price: CDN$ 4.99
13 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album for children, April 5 2007
This review is from: Ablum (Audio CD)
This is music for kids by kids and their parents. Not yelling off-key kids, not the same 10 songs that are on every so-called kid albums but very much kids music.

There is a lot to enjoy about this recording, parents will enjoy it but children will relate to it. While there are some punk rock influences (particularily the Ramones), this is mostly a folk album and doesn't have the harsh edge that scares some kids (and some adults). There is humour for everyone from the 2 year old to the adult.

The children who perform on this record clearly had some influence on the how the music was made. This gives the album a bit of a spontaneous sing-a-long feel which really lifts the mood.

Most children's albums are like penny candy, discerning palates don't like the taste and it rots children's teeth. This album is like fresh ripe fruit, delicious and full of nutrition. I can't see listening to this album without children in the room but I haven't met a child who doesn't like it and I don't know any parents who hate it.

Catch That Train!
Catch That Train!
Price: CDN$ 15.87
34 used & new from CDN$ 1.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Real music with kids in mind, April 5 2007
This review is from: Catch That Train! (Audio CD)
Most children's music is by performers that are simply not good enough to play for real people.

Dan Zanes is an exception. This record, like his others features roots/folk/rock music with an assortment of guest musicians. It stands up to repeated playing with skillful musicianship and strong arrangements. It is child friendly without being condescending.

If you like the "10 kids yelling nursery rhyme songs" genre of music, this is not it. It is a favourite of my 3 year old boy and it is another good recording from one of the very few children's artists who make actual music.

To the top Canada: The incredible true story of the very first journey from the bottom of mainland Canada to the top, by a proud Canadian to save his country!
by Chris Robertson
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars possibly the worst book ever written, Aug. 12 2005
I am a big fan of travelogues and accounts of cycle tours.
This one is repeditive and boring.
This book could be summed up as follows:
I rode a bike from The south to the north of Canada. I gave the same speech at every school along the way "Canadians should be more like Americans." I went to Anglican church a lot. I took a lot of time off and by bicycle touring standards made very poor daily mileage. I paid $78 and stayed in room 204 on the second floor. My son and I saved Canada by attending a rally in Quebec just before the referendum.
Hopefully I can save someone from having to read this tedious account of a very dull trip.
I can't believe that this book got published.
I actually returned this book to the bookstore after having read it because it was so bad. This is the only book I have ever returned for any reason.
If you care which Anglican churches in Canada use the new prayer book and which use the old, along with which hymns they sang when this author passed through then buy this book.
If you are looking for an account of adventure, cycle touring or interesting cycling anecdotes, look elsewhere.