Profile for Dave Rose > Reviews

Content by Dave Rose

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dave Rose (Wyoming, USA)

Route 10
Route 10
Price: CDN$ 20.36
20 used & new from CDN$ 9.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch, Nov. 15 2003
This review is from: Route 10 (Audio CD)
I saw Special Consensus play live in Cody, Wyoming last night. What a great show! These guys have it together for sure. The CD is first rate, highly recommended.

New Picnic Time
New Picnic Time
Price: CDN$ 22.80
6 used & new from CDN$ 22.80

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Me Again!, Nov. 12 2003
This review is from: New Picnic Time (Audio CD)
During the late '70's, a new Pere Ubu record was a huge event in my life. When New Picnic Time was released, I eagerly snapped it up and rushed home to listen. "IT'S ME AGAIN" blared through the speakers at ear-splitting volume. The grin on my face stretched from ear to ear. The Fabulous Sequel indeed! In the wake of Dub Housing, this is certainly a fabulous effort.
Pere Ubu is truly a love/hate band. I've cleared parties faster than a half dozen cops could've by spinning a Pere Ubu disc. But the few who stick around to listen are saying "Wow, this is really cool, who's this band?"
New Picnic Time is classic Pere Ubu. Buy it or better yet buy the Datapanik in the Year Zero CD box set.

True Colours
True Colours
Offered by BonnieScotland
Price: CDN$ 7.03
24 used & new from CDN$ 7.02

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Effort, Nov. 11 2003
This review is from: True Colours (Audio CD)
Some really great tunes on this one. Slicker and more commercial than previous LP's. Wears thin on repeated listenings.

Second Thoughts
Second Thoughts
Price: CDN$ 41.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mental Notes!, Nov. 10 2003
This review is from: Second Thoughts (Audio CD)
I'm a bit confused with the titles of these CD's. My introduction to Split Enz was in 1976 with the purchase of Mental Notes, on Chrysalis Records, CHR 1131. The track listing on my LP is exactly the same as this CD, but with the addition of Mental Notes at the end of side 2, a bizarre 30 second long vocals/guitar ditty.
Fantastic record! At a time when prog rock was running out of steam and punk had yet to hit the scene, Mental Notes was fresh, exciting, and unique. It still is and holds up under repeated listening. One of my favorites from 1976.

Third Reich N Roll
Third Reich N Roll
Price: CDN$ 19.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted Pop, Nov. 9 2003
This review is from: Third Reich N Roll (Audio CD)
As a young lad in the 60's, I had a big AM radio in my bedroom. When I was supposed to be sleeping, I'd turn on the radio, watch the warm orange glow of it's tubes seep through the vents and tune in to WLS, a high-powered Chicago station many miles from my Pennsylvania home. WLS played all of those great top 40 hits, from motown to cheesy bubblegum.
Fifteen years later, I spotted this Residents LP at the local record store. Based solely on the cover art (Dick Clark in nazi regalia clutching a carrot while miniature cartoon gay Hitlers danced in the clouds), I bought it. With shock and delight I listened as the Residents completely trashed and distorted those beloved top 40 hits from my childhood.
The Third Reich 'N Roll is the most twisted rendition of 'cover tunes' that you'll ever hear. Highly recommended, although it's not for everyone. Most people will not understand it or like it.

Modern Dance
Modern Dance
Price: CDN$ 9.53
25 used & new from CDN$ 6.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Classic, Nov. 9 2003
This review is from: Modern Dance (Audio CD)
The owner of my favorite record store insisted that I buy The Modern Dance the week it was released in 1978. Not knowing what to expect, I played it and was completely blown away by an original and unique mix of prog rock, experimental noise, 60's garage rock and punk. David Thomas' wild bellowing fit perfectly. During a year when disco dominated the airwaves, prog rock bands were truly terrible (remember Yes' Tormato?!), and the tidal wave of punk bands were often formulaic and predictable, Pere Ubu was completely fresh and different.
I've listened to this album continually over the past 25 years. It's one of the few records that I'll never tire of. The Modern Dance is a great introduction to Pere Ubu.