Profile for cinders666 > Reviews

Content by cinders666

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"cinders666" (Canada)

The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie)
The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie)
DVD ~ Bob Bergen
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 107.72
6 used & new from CDN$ 53.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Action, Adventure, and one suave theif!, April 6 2003
This is my third favorite Miyazaki film (under Spirited Away and Totoro) and though it is over 23 years old it trumps anthing disney's put out for a looong time! The charm of Lupin III and the absolutely wonderful pacing/flow of the action catch your attention from the first moment. It doesn't take itself to seriously but by the end every character has a place in your heart (especially Lupin III). In my veiw the animation style is perfect for the light theme and the backgrounds have excellent detale, especially in the castle.
As a warning, I would warn parents away from the other Lupin III movies, as they have not been touched by Miyazaki magic (and turned to gold;) There is a little swearing and cigeret smoking in this one as well... but the pure fun within makes it perfect for anyone over 6.
An excellent buy for the young and young at heart!

The Redemption of Althalus
The Redemption of Althalus
by David Eddings
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
69 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Painfull., Jan. 27 2003
I've read most of the Edding's books.
Characterized by quick and interesting dialouge coupled with easy to follow plost lines they're great when you want something cheerfull in your life.
HOWEVER.
This. Book. Stank. .... The first half of the story is nothing but a repeat of their other series and the last half is a direct repeat of the first half, this time with some minor plot changes. I found myself wondering why I was read the thing through... and couldn't come up with an answer.
Unless you like seeing the Good Guys thrash the Bad Guys then get married to each other.
*shudder*

The Memory of Trees
The Memory of Trees
Price: CDN$ 20.01
50 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Excelent sleaping music!, Jan. 4 2003
This review is from: The Memory of Trees (Audio CD)
I've had this CD for years, and EVERY time I travel anywhere, it comes with me.
This is not to say that I don't like the CD or I think it's boring. I love the CD, and often listen to it at other times, however the reason it's stayed one of my favorites is that it can send me peacefully to sleap within 4 tracks no matter where I am or what troubles I have.
The ultimate relaxing CD... great white noise for studying, reading, writing or just thinking about the world.

Lirael: Daughter of the Clayr
Lirael: Daughter of the Clayr
by Garth Nix
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
85 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Ho, hum..., Aug. 10 2002
Number one, I refuse to be called one of the "potter" crowd (in a previous post)... I liked the books, but I liked Sabriel just as much, if not more so! I gave Lirael 4/5 because I think Sabriel deserves 5/5, and the sequal doesn't quite match up. The fact that it had a hanging ending didn't bother me (get over it people, that's standard book practice... at least it mentioned a sequel!) What did was the lack in mention of Sabriel and Touchstone. I just can't belive that they'd go off to Ancelstierre and leave the Old Kingdom to fend for it's self. The purpouse it serves is simply to give the new charactures some space to grow, but I personally would have liked to hear more of the old charactures, who are still by far my favorite! Oh well, at least Mogget was still around, if only in a sleapy state!:P I guess I can always hope that the next book will have more of my favorite Abhorsen!