Profile for K. Galay > Reviews

Content by K. Galay

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

K. Galay "Taxman" (Canada)

The Judging Eye
The Judging Eye
by R. Scott Bakker
Price: CDN$ 16.30
14 used & new from CDN$ 2.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sequel, May 5 2009
This review is from: The Judging Eye (Paperback)
I loved the first trilogy (The Prince of Nothing), which featured a very fresh story line and interesting characters. I really wanted to find out more of what happened after the end of the last book. Unfortunately, I found this book to be a let-down. The first 3/4 of the book just seems to be setting the stage for the next books to come. That's fine, but there still needs to be some interesting things happening along the way to keep the reader engaged. I found myself wishing for the book to end about 1/2 way through. I suddenly found that I didn't like the characters that I had really enjoyed in the first trilogy. The characters went from interesting to, somehow, unlikable.

The final 1/4 of the book is very good, once the action begins to pick up. In fact I found the book to be hard to put down towards the end. But unfortunately it took too long to get to that point, and I'm not really looking forward to the sequel very much now. Hopefully the next book can reignite my interest in the series, which is still a fresh take on the fantasy genre.

Chronicles of the Black Company
Chronicles of the Black Company
by Glen Cook
Price: CDN$ 13.71
39 used & new from CDN$ 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 15 2009
I found this book recommended in one of the lists on Amazon. I've been reading fantasy novels all of my life, but I'd never heard of Glen Cook. I can honestly say this is one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read. Unlike most, its written from a first-person perspective. It took a little getting used to, but it really helped me to connect with the characters. And they aren't your usual bunch of heroes - this is a bunch of professional soldiers who have allot of flaws and don't always do the right thing. I had a tough time putting this book down. I highly recommend it.