Profile for Jason Barrett > Reviews

Content by Jason Barrett

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jason Barrett (Tuktoyaktuk, NT)

Page: 1 | 2
The Running Man [Blu-ray]
The Running Man [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Offered by roundmedia
Price: CDN$ 14.24
13 used & new from CDN$ 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Run away from the Special Features, Aug. 17 2011
The Running Man is loosely based on the novella of the same name by Richard Bachman, aka Stephen King. The title, the premise of the game show, and a few character names is all that shared between the film and novella. If you came to this film via the novel, expect a very different story.
Having said that, the film itself is a good ride and was a great vehicle for Arnold Schwarzenegger to his status as action movie superstar.
On very negative side, the special features on the blu-ray are horrible. There is a documentary on the effects of privacy by the Patriot Act which actually makes no reference to the film at all. It seems like a random insert on the disc. The other featurette looks at the "Game Theory" of reality game shows. At least that one is a small reach to tie in with the running man. I was hoping for a little documentary which explained why they switched directors during the shoot or why they changed the story so much from the novel. A little documentary on the making of the film would have been nice.
I skimmed through the the two audio commentaries and found both to be fairly dry with too much silence. Neither kept me interested, or entertained, enough to watch the entire movie with them on.
I'd give the movie a 3.5 of out 5 for being an excellent action movie with lots of explosions and cheesy one-liners.
I'd give the special features a 1 out of 5 for being irrelevant to the film or too dry and uninformative.

The Baseball Fan's Bucket List: 162 Things You Must Do, See, Get, and Experience Before You Die
by Robert Santelli
Price: CDN$ 14.44
21 used & new from CDN$ 7.58

3.0 out of 5 stars Just like the regular season, 162 is too many, July 6 2011
There are 162 ideas in this book. Each idea is 1-2 pages long and also includes websites or more info on how to actually do it. It's a good book to have near the toilet due to how it is organized. Not all 162 ideas are bucket list worthy and there is a lot of repetition in the book. 32 of the ideas are used to see each team in their home ballpark. 19 are movies or documentaries to watch and there are 16 books to read. 162 is a lot ideas and there are some that are really questionable. Does every baseball fan really need to see the movie Fever Pitch ? Having said that, there really are some great diamonds in the rough. Ideas such as the Cape Cod league or Baseball Fantasy Camp. The author also organizes the list using rankings. So you could also use his overall rankings to create rankings of just books, movies or ballparks. While I won't be bothering to do anywhere close to all 162 items, I definitively found a few that I will add to my own bucket list.
If the author didn't take the easy way out and included all 32 MLB ballparks, then I would given this 4 stars regardless of what he replaced them with.
On a side note, there is no reason to buy the book. You can click on the search inside book and the table of contents have all 162 things listed. Close to half of them you can click and read the page its on. You'd think whoever is in charge of it would at least cut out a page or three of the table of contents.

The Empty Chair
The Empty Chair
by Jeffery Deaver
Edition: Library Binding
5 used & new from CDN$ 41.58

3.0 out of 5 stars "Oh yeah, this town gots itself a few hornets", July 6 2011
This review is from: The Empty Chair (Library Binding)
I enjoyed the start and middle of the novel. But then the story starts wrapping up, then reopening, then wrapping up and reopening. I was on page 350 and I was wondering what the heck could the last 60 pages be about. It was twist after twist after twist. A musical chairs game of who is good and bad. While the twists at the end weren't that bad, there just seemed to be too many of them. Near the end of the book, I found myself rolling my eyes between every chapter. Never the less, if you find this book on the library shelf or on a shelf at home, then I suggest you read it. If you see this book on a book store shelf, then I suggest you keep looking.

The One-Week Job Project: One Man, One Year, 52 Jobs
The One-Week Job Project: One Man, One Year, 52 Jobs
by Sean Aiken
Price: CDN$ 13.72
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Sean Aiken; An Auto-Biography, June 1 2011
I felt this book came off too much as being about Sean Aiken, the author, rather than the job search. I didn''t get this book to read about his finding love or his time spent with media covering his project. I wanted to know more about the jobs and the people who work them. At the start of the book we was doing a better job of breaking down the jobs and the people he met, but as the book went on it became more about himself and more about the publicity of his project. Many jobs that he did received only one or two pages while at other times he would go about his girlfriend or family for a page or two.
If you are more interested in project or Sean's experience as opposed to the job experience, then you''ll get more out of this book more than I did.

Hell Hath No Fury: Triple Feature
Hell Hath No Fury: Triple Feature
Price: CDN$ 21.98
2 used & new from CDN$ 16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Misery Loves Company, June 1 2011
I originally bought this 3-in-1 DVD for Misery but I was pleasantly surprised by the two other movies, Best Laid Plans and The Deep End.
Misery is the star of the three. Kathy Bates is superb as deranged fan Annie Wilkes. James Caan also stars in the movie. Misery delivers great suspense and shock. It is based off a Stephen King novel of the same name.
Best Laid Plans is about a con job gone wrong. Josh Brolin and Reese Witherspoon star. Down on their luck and stuck in a same town, the couple hatch a con that will help break out of small town life. But they aren't the only cons with plans. Once the con is set-up there are plenty of plot twists and it makes for an enjoyable movie.
The Deep End looks at the extremes a mother will do to protect her son. When the mother, played by Tilda Swinton, finds her son's gay lover dead on the beach, she covers up the evidence rather than confronting her son. A confrontation that would have brought up her son's sexuality. Matters get worse when they get blackmailed over a sex tape. The movie follows the mother's quest to bury the evidence of her son's sexuality rather than dealing with it. Is she doing more harm than help? An enjoyable movie
Misery is the only movie of the 3 that would be worth owning on its own. The other two movies are only worth renting. But a 3-in-1 pack does offer value if you can get it at the right price.

The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror: 2010 Edition SC
The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror: 2010 Edition SC
by Kelley Armstrong
Price: CDN$ 15.12
27 used & new from CDN$ 2.95

4.0 out of 5 stars 2010, It was a good year, June 1 2011
2010's edition of the Years Best Dark Fantasy and Horror is a diverse collection of stories, themes and styles. Vampires, Lizards, and Mermaids! Oh My! Keeping that in mind, I did find a few stories difficult to get through such as The Horrid wings of its Glory, and Sea-Hearts. I also found a few gems such as The Wide Carnivorous Sky, A Haunted House of Her Own and Copping Squid. I do enjoy HP Lovecraft and there are a few stories that could be classified as Lovecraftian Horror. There are 38 stories in the book. While most of the stories in this book are 10-15 pages, a few are 40-50 pages. At the end of each story there is a brief biography of the author and some short editor comments on the story.
The strength of this book was the diversity of stories within the Dark Fantasy and Horror genres. The few mediocre stories were far outweighed by the quantity of quality stories. A 2011 edition is planned and I plan on purchasing it based on the quality of the 2010 edition.

Just After Sunset: Stories
Just After Sunset: Stories
by Stephen King
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 11.69
107 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Garage Sale Buy, May 9 2011
Stephen King worries that he may have forgotten how to write a short story, and he could be right. This collection is inferior to earlier short story collections such as Skeleton Crew or Nightmares and Dreamscapes. Many of the short stories tend to be built like a novel with a lot of time spent on building the characters but then end with a rushed ending. I am not saying that the stories are bad, just that this collection of stories do not measure up to the standard set by King's previous short story collections.

The Living Dead 2
The Living Dead 2
by John Joseph Adams
Price: CDN$ 13.13
50 used & new from CDN$ 1.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A short read before pleasant dreams, April 6 2011
This review is from: The Living Dead 2 (Paperback)
A nice variety of stories ranging from you shoot-em to your love story. Some highlights were Danger Word, The Skull Face City and Rapeworm. The book consisted of 44 short stories ranging from 1 page to 20 pages with the majority being around 8-10 pages. It's a great book to have on the nightstand for reading a story before bedtime.

The Road
The Road
by Cormac McCarthy
Price: CDN$ 18.81
54 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Roadkill by the hype machine, Nov. 1 2007
This review is from: The Road (Hardcover)
I bought this book after reading a few good reviews and then hearing a book show on the radio completely dedicated to The Road. All three hosts on the show admitted to tearing up and having to put the book down to gather themselves. I was hoping for the same experience. I did haveto put book the down several times, but only to go over some of the text in the head to try to place the commas. I never did get used the style of grammar he uses and it really hampered my enjoyment of the book. I found that I was disconnected from story too often by having to reread sentences or paragraphs. Getting disconnected from the story meant I found myself somewhat disconnected from the characters. While the book was interesting and keep me turnig the pages waiting for something to happen, I was not emotionally invested as much as I hoped/believed I would be.

Fantasy Football For Dummies
Fantasy Football For Dummies
by Martin Signore
Price: CDN$ 13.71
39 used & new from CDN$ 8.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Take the title of this book literally, Oct. 6 2007
This book is great for brand new fantasy players. It covers all the basics and introduces some of the strategies. I've played fantasy football for several years and bought a few books on it this year. While I did learn a few new things, I would not recommend this for anyone who is a seasoned fantasy football player. The majority of the info in this book could be found free on the net, but the book does wrap all together in one nice chronologically order.

Page: 1 | 2