Profile for MAB > Reviews

Content by MAB

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

MAB (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Return to Harmony
Return to Harmony
Price: CDN$ 11.67
81 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time!, June 23 2003
This review is from: Return to Harmony (Paperback)
"Return to Harmony" was the worst Janette Oke I have read. I will never-ever read a collaboration novel that involves Oke and another author again. Both of their writings were too jumbled and did not flow well. I was able to figure out who wrote what, and you shouldn't be able to do that - both of the authors writings should mesh together in unison. I thought Bunn's writing overpowered Oke's. Since I focused so much on the techniques, I did not enjoy the plot one bit. I finished this book feeling unfulfilled. A huge disappointment - I do not recommend.

The Witch of Blackbird Pond
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
by Elizabeth George Speare
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 7.99
100 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Terribly elusive., June 22 2003
"The Witch of Blackbird Pond" is poorly advertised. If you're expecting a novel filled with accounts of the Salem Witch Trials, like I thought, you're wrong. It is not until almost 200 pages into the book will the subject be touched upon, and then gingerly dropped. Much of the writing is fillers and dribble; this book could have been 100 pages shorter. I didn't care for any of the characters, and all of them were typecast. The angry, strict Uncle, the caring, soft-spoken Aunt, two cousins - one being the flirt and one being sweet. And, of course, the outcast niece. I was very disappointed, as I had my sights set on a captivating Salem Witch Trial book. The title is very misleading. I do not recommend.

Numbering All the Bones
Numbering All the Bones
by Ann Rinaldi
18 used & new from CDN$ 2.18

3.0 out of 5 stars A letdown on Rinaldi's part., June 19 2003
"Numbering All the Bones" was a somewhat of a disappointment, since it came from Ann Rinaldi. I was expecting much more drama and I found her writing style very wishy-washy. Also, it was extremely short. It's not one of her better books; if this was your first Rinaldi read, try another book, before you form an opinion of her as an author. She always includes an epilogue, which she didn't this time - another disappointment, and her "who is real, who isn't real" explanation was also not very clear. I do not recommend this book full heartily, but because I love Rinaldi's books, I'm still giving it 3 stars.

Arsenic Under the Elms: Murder in Victorian New Haven
Arsenic Under the Elms: Murder in Victorian New Haven
by Virginia McConnell
Price: CDN$ 36.80
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.90

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want an enjoyable, challenging novel, then read this!, June 19 2003
"Arsenic Under the Elms" is thoroughly an intriguing, mind challenging read. I felt Virginia A. McConnell did a wonderful job presenting the known facts, as well as including her speculations, but leaving the final verdict up to the reader. The explanations of the era and how they dealt with these sorts of crimes, as well as how they dealt with it legally and medically were very educational and thought provoking. I'm sure many criminalists, physiologists, lawyers, judges, and crime scene analysts, would have a field day solving these crimes. If only they had the technology of today, back then. Even if your genre is not "true crime," this book is a great read. I recommend.

A Woman Named Damaris
A Woman Named Damaris
65 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent summer read, but nothing special., June 16 2003
This review is from: A Woman Named Damaris (Paperback)
"A Woman Named Damaris" did not have a solid plot, and was redundant. It's a decent read, but most of the pages were full of fluff and fillers. I have no idea what it's like, but Damaris' constant thinking that men are drunks started to get to me and at times made me angry. Predictable, as all of Oke's books are, and her endings come so quickly and without elaboration. I "sorta" recommend.

Night
Night
by Elie Wiesel
170 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply moving!, June 14 2003
This review is from: Night (Paperback)
"Night" is absolutely breath taking and will leave you speechless! You must give it five stars alone knowing that this is a true story and someone actually lived this life. At first, I found the writing style chopping, but before I knew it, I was flying through the pages like it was nothing! It's an incredibly fast read, but it will leave an impression deep within you. If you're learning about the Holocaust, or are interested in this time in history, then read this book! I recommend.

The Calling of Emily Evans
The Calling of Emily Evans
50 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Religious, or not religious - this is still a good book., June 12 2003
"The Calling of Emily Evans" was much better than I expected. I took this out from my library not knowing how deeply religious it was, but with all of it's biblical and religious means, I still enjoyed the plot. It shows, that with, or without faith in anything, you can still be strong. But, what I dislike about Oke's books is the lack of an epilogue. All of her books end suddenly, without any closure. Very disappointing. Nonetheless, I recommend.

A Bride for Donnigan
A Bride for Donnigan
50 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars is pushing it, but it's not worth 3., June 10 2003
This review is from: A Bride for Donnigan (Paperback)
"A Bride For Donnigan" was one of the better books by Janette Oke, and started out very interesting. But, there are some hills of good and bad. First off, I found everything too perfect and sugar coated. What are the odds of Donnigan and Kathleen getting along? Much less, falling in love? It might happen, but it would take time. Which leads me into how Oke didn't express how much time goes by, nor the age of Donnigan. We don't know much of anything about Donnigan. Towards the end, the total point of this book was gone. I was hoping for more about their marriage, and the trials and tribulations of it. I did enjoy the characters, nonetheless, and did care about their outcome, but Donnigan seems too good to be true. I'm also glad that a book was finally written about this subject, even if it was just a storybook romance. It still doesn't beat "Roses For Mama," but is good all the same. I recommend.

Little Altars Everywhere: A Novel
Little Altars Everywhere: A Novel
by Rebecca Wells
91 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a book you'll want to read non-stop!, June 8 2003
"Little Alters Everywhere: A Novel" by Rebecca Wells is a great summer read. Wells does have a gift for many voices. I can understand why "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood: A Novel" was a #1 New York Times Bestseller over "Little Alters Everywhere", and why "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood: A Novel" was turned into a movie; it had a better plot and was more intriguing. Not the "Little Alters Everywhere: A Novel" didn't, but it left a lot of questions unanswered. And, in this novel, you don't get a great sense of Vivi. You know she is mentally unstable, but I think in Wells' follow up novel, it goes in much great and more interesting detail. I, personally think "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood: A Novel" should be read before "Little Alters Everywhere: A Novel." I recommend.

Life with Father (Comic Classics)
Life with Father (Comic Classics)
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.43

5.0 out of 5 stars A splendid memoir!, June 4 2003
"Life With Father" by Clarence Day is such a charming memoir! I fell in love with this book and I liked how it was set up. The chapters marked different events that stood out in Day's mind. I like that over just a plain memoir, going through life in chronological order. I liked the witty humor, and Father seemed very humorous. This is just a great book to sit back and read the day away with! I recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19