march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family
Profile for stevenhorr > Reviews

Content by stevenhorr

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

stevenhorr (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
An Introduction to Mennonite History: A Popular History of the Anabaptists and the Mennonites
Price: CDN$ 9.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, Helpful, Illuminating, Nov. 30 2015
This is a good, fairly engaging, and thoroughly researched book on Mennonite history. As someone with Mennonite ancestry, I found this book helpful for learning about the history of the anabaptists, from its early years in Europe to its current forms throughout the world, as well as for understanding the basic ideals and beliefs of the Mennonites. I recommend this book for anyone with a genuine interest in the subject, and it does require some patience as it can be dry at times.

KJV Large Print Wide Margin Bible: Genuine Leather Blk
KJV Large Print Wide Margin Bible: Genuine Leather Blk
by Hendrickson Publishing
Edition: Leather Bound
Price: CDN$ 96.53
11 used & new from CDN$ 96.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, Beautiful, Easy to Read, Nov. 30 2015
Beautiful. Big. This is the Bible I always wanted to own. It's so nice, in fact, that I feel quite tentative about reading it, and only do so with great care. The font size and spacing makes reading easy. It's huge, has a delightful weight to it, and, well... the contents of the KJV Bible need no discussion here. I recommend this Bible if you want to own a large, easy to read KJV Bible for reading at home.

Title: Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives: The Life and Tea
Title: Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives: The Life and Tea
10 used & new from CDN$ 28.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Great, Nov. 30 2015
Lots of wisdom here, to be sure. However, there is a part in the book wherein the elder blames someone's thoughts (based on an alleged statement made by her under distressing circumstances) for causing a motorcycle accident that resulted in her son's death. Not only do I find this absurd, but I can't begin to imagine the psychological damage caused to the person who was led to believe by this revered holy elder that she had killed her son with her thoughts (pages 82 and 83)! This teaching stood out for me as being harmful and made me skeptical towards some of his other teachings (even though much of his guidance was surely filled with wisdom). No single elder or saint is infallible and I think this is an important thing to remember.

Wahl 79300-400 Color Pro 20-Piece Complete Haircutting Kit
Wahl 79300-400 Color Pro 20-Piece Complete Haircutting Kit
Price: CDN$ 36.30
11 used & new from CDN$ 18.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Wahl Makes Superior Clippers, Nov. 29 2015
I've been using this to cut my hair and my sons hair for probably 6 or 7 years. I've never had a problem with it. The only reason I finally have to replace it is because I dropped it on the metal teeth... my fault. Who knows how long it would have lasted otherwise? Wahl hair clippers are the best by far. I'll always own one.

Thor: God of Thunder Volume 1: The God Butcher (Marvel Now)
Thor: God of Thunder Volume 1: The God Butcher (Marvel Now)
by Jason Aaron
Price: CDN$ 19.78
38 used & new from CDN$ 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Dark Fun Deep, May 17 2015
Great art. The God Butcher is one angry sob. Anyone who has despised God - or dropped him for his negligence - will connect to this on a deeper level. Good, dark, fun, deep adult stuff here.

Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls (The New 52)
Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls (The New 52)
by Scott Snyder
Price: CDN$ 17.25
78 used & new from CDN$ 10.38

5.0 out of 5 stars It's tough not to get obsessed with comic books with quality comics like this coming out, May 17 2015
Unreal art. Dark storytelling. It's tough not to get obsessed with comic books with quality comics like this coming out. A feast for eyes and mind.

The Sandman
The Sandman
by Lars Kepler
Price: CDN$ 18.52
4 used & new from CDN$ 18.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, Fast, Dark, March 4 2015
This review is from: The Sandman (Paperback)
I tried reading The Hypnotist by Lars Keplar months back, and while I enjoyed what I read of it, due to my being busy and unable to give the book proper attention, I didn't finish it (but will likely give it another go after finishing this one). I was equally busy when I read The Sandman. For some reason, though, I finished it in five nights. I couldn't put it down. The book reads like a great movie. There isn't a ton of descriptive writing in here; there is just enough to set the stage and maintain a wonderful pace. The characters are equally likable and unlikable. This book takes the reader to some dark places, places compelling and engaging to a reader safe in his or her den with a reading lamp and a pillow. It's gripping from the get go, has a fast, fluid pace, and is compellingly dark and subversive. Very satisfying entertainment.

Seed
Seed
Price: CDN$ 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Jan. 9 2014
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)
Seed was better than I expected. It is a dark, creepy, rather hopeless novel, and engaging enough that I burned through it in a couple of days. If horror is your thing (I need a fix from time to time), don't pass on this one!

It's the Crude, Dude: War, Big Oil and the Fight for the Planet
It's the Crude, Dude: War, Big Oil and the Fight for the Planet
by Linda McQuaig
26 used & new from CDN$ 3.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Get up to speed regarding Big Oil and its impact on the world, Aug. 9 2007
While I think Mcquaig might know more than she presents here, this book is a great way to understand Big Oil/Big Business, and US and Canadian foreign relations. Not only is it informative, but entertaining enough that people who normally wouldn't have the patience for books about politics or economics (such as my wife) will be captivated from the first chapter. Important reading.

Holding the Bully's Coat: Canada and the U.S. Empire
Holding the Bully's Coat: Canada and the U.S. Empire
by Linda McQuaig
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Do your own homework. Read Mcquaig., Aug. 9 2007
Read for yourself. It is a good thing that books are published that question or criticize the 'official story', aka the CNN/FOX spun version of reality, where "humanitarian aid" means the bombing of civilians, where "spreading democracy" means illegal occupation. You're not being "anti-american" if you don't want to follow America into bogus wars of occupation and invasion, like the current "war on terror". Anti-american twaddle? Mcquaig points out specifically that she is not anti-american, but "anti-american-exceptionalist"-- why should the US have special rights, like the ability to pursue their own nuclear program while they go around seeing that other nations don't pursue theirs? That's just one example of how the american-exceptionalism. The list goes on, and on.

Why should Canadians be ashamed to want to be an internationally concerned and responsible country, instead of following in America's agressive-defensive ways? It is often said that we need the US to protect us, but I'd say that US foreign policy in the middle-east, and any Canadian affiliation with it, if anything, has made us a more desireable target of foreign attack.

Canadians: read Linda Mcquaig and Michel Chossudovsky. Don't worry about being politically-correct. The media shouts us down as "anti-american" if we don't support an illegal, destructive, US-led war. Canadian media calls us "unsupportive of our troops" if we don't agree with Canadian policy in the middle-east. Why should we, as Canadians, be ashamed to read this material (especially Canadians from Virginia ;) )? We shouldn't be. Read it.

Page: 1 | 2