countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools
Profile for stevenhorr > Reviews

Content by stevenhorr

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

stevenhorr (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult
Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult
by Dayal Patterson
Price: CDN$ 28.44
40 used & new from CDN$ 25.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopedic Exploration of the Cult of Black Metal, July 16 2016
This book is an encyclopedic exploration of the cult of black metal, from its pioneers Venom, Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate, and others, to its many experimental offshoots, such as Fleurety and Lifelover. This book, along with the music, creativity, and characters it has introduced me to, has been one of the most fascinating and engaging excursions of my life recently. Dayal Patterson's passion for the movement and music is obvious, but he keeps himself out of the way and allows the musical creators and icons to tell their stories. Black Metal has to be one of the most vibrant and constantly creative and original forms of contemporary music and art, an always evolving movement of originality, misanthropy, nihilism, and rebellion. Join this insightful and articulate author and guide, and explore the brutal, ever-vital cult of BLACK METAL!

An Introduction to Mennonite History: A Popular History of the Anabaptists and the Mennonites
Price: CDN$ 9.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, Helpful, Illuminating, Nov. 30 2015
This is a good, fairly engaging, and thoroughly researched book on Mennonite history. As someone with Mennonite ancestry, I found this book helpful for learning about the history of the anabaptists, from its early years in Europe to its current forms throughout the world, as well as for understanding the basic ideals and beliefs of the Mennonites. I recommend this book for anyone with a genuine interest in the subject, and it does require some patience as it can be dry at times.

KJV Large Print Wide Margin Bible: Genuine Leather Blk
KJV Large Print Wide Margin Bible: Genuine Leather Blk
by Hendrickson Publishing
Edition: Leather Bound
Price: CDN$ 74.39
15 used & new from CDN$ 74.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, Beautiful, Easy to Read, Nov. 30 2015
Beautiful. Big. This is the Bible I always wanted to own. It's so nice, in fact, that I feel quite tentative about reading it, and only do so with great care. The font size and spacing makes reading easy. It's huge, has a delightful weight to it, and, well... the contents of the KJV Bible need no discussion here. I recommend this Bible if you want to own a large, easy to read KJV Bible for reading at home.

Title: Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives: The Life and Tea
Title: Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives: The Life and Tea
9 used & new from CDN$ 25.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Great, Nov. 30 2015
Lots of wisdom here, to be sure. However, there is a part in the book wherein the elder blames someone's thoughts (based on an alleged statement made by her under distressing circumstances) for causing a motorcycle accident that resulted in her son's death. Not only do I find this absurd, but I can't begin to imagine the psychological damage caused to the person who was led to believe by this revered holy elder that she had killed her son with her thoughts (pages 82 and 83)! This teaching stood out for me as being harmful and made me skeptical towards some of his other teachings (even though much of his guidance was surely filled with wisdom). No single elder or saint is infallible and I think this is an important thing to remember.

Wahl 79300-400 Color Pro 20-Piece Complete Haircutting Kit
Wahl 79300-400 Color Pro 20-Piece Complete Haircutting Kit
Price: CDN$ 36.79
13 used & new from CDN$ 18.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Wahl Makes Superior Clippers, Nov. 29 2015
I've been using this to cut my hair and my sons hair for probably 6 or 7 years. I've never had a problem with it. The only reason I finally have to replace it is because I dropped it on the metal teeth... my fault. Who knows how long it would have lasted otherwise? Wahl hair clippers are the best by far. I'll always own one.

Thor: God of Thunder Volume 1: The God Butcher (Marvel Now)
Thor: God of Thunder Volume 1: The God Butcher (Marvel Now)
by Jason Aaron
Price: CDN$ 19.77
28 used & new from CDN$ 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Dark Fun Deep, May 17 2015
Great art. The God Butcher is one angry sob. Anyone who has despised God - or dropped him for his negligence - will connect to this on a deeper level. Good, dark, fun, deep adult stuff here.

Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls (The New 52)
Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls (The New 52)
by Scott Snyder
Price: CDN$ 17.25
92 used & new from CDN$ 9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars It's tough not to get obsessed with comic books with quality comics like this coming out, May 17 2015
Unreal art. Dark storytelling. It's tough not to get obsessed with comic books with quality comics like this coming out. A feast for eyes and mind.

The Sandman
The Sandman
by Lars Kepler
Price: CDN$ 18.49
12 used & new from CDN$ 2.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, Fast, Dark, March 4 2015
This review is from: The Sandman (Paperback)
I tried reading The Hypnotist by Lars Keplar months back, and while I enjoyed what I read of it, due to my being busy and unable to give the book proper attention, I didn't finish it (but will likely give it another go after finishing this one). I was equally busy when I read The Sandman. For some reason, though, I finished it in five nights. I couldn't put it down. The book reads like a great movie. There isn't a ton of descriptive writing in here; there is just enough to set the stage and maintain a wonderful pace. The characters are equally likable and unlikable. This book takes the reader to some dark places, places compelling and engaging to a reader safe in his or her den with a reading lamp and a pillow. It's gripping from the get go, has a fast, fluid pace, and is compellingly dark and subversive. Very satisfying entertainment.

Seed
Seed
Price: CDN$ 5.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Jan. 9 2014
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)
Seed was better than I expected. It is a dark, creepy, rather hopeless novel, and engaging enough that I burned through it in a couple of days. If horror is your thing (I need a fix from time to time), don't pass on this one!

It's the Crude, Dude: War, Big Oil and the Fight for the Planet
It's the Crude, Dude: War, Big Oil and the Fight for the Planet
by Linda McQuaig
31 used & new from CDN$ 2.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Get up to speed regarding Big Oil and its impact on the world, Aug. 9 2007
While I think Mcquaig might know more than she presents here, this book is a great way to understand Big Oil/Big Business, and US and Canadian foreign relations. Not only is it informative, but entertaining enough that people who normally wouldn't have the patience for books about politics or economics (such as my wife) will be captivated from the first chapter. Important reading.

Page: 1 | 2