Profile for Bonnie Way > Reviews

Content by Bonnie Way

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Bonnie Way (BC, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
I Can Read! Big Idea Books Veggie Tales/Mess Detectives And The Case Of The Lost Temper
by Karen Poth
Price: CDN$ 4.99
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Easy Reader, Sept. 18 2014
This little book was so much fun to read together! My daughters and I are huge VeggieTales fans, so we all enjoyed reading a book about our favourite tomato and cucumber. My oldest is in Grade 1, so this book offered some pages she could read easily and a few words to challenge her (perfect for reading together). I also appreciated the lessons she learned while reading, about working together and losing your temper. Lots to discuss, with cute pictures and Larry's typical understated humour in narrating the story. :)

Veil of Secrets
Veil of Secrets
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Second Novel from Powerhouse Writing Team, Aug. 13 2014
This review is from: Veil of Secrets (Kindle Edition)
VERY GOOD! This is the second book I've read by Shannon Ethridge and Kathryn Mackel, and I think it's even better than their first. :) Especially since most of the plot of this novel was based on an American presidential election, and I'm a very non-political Canadian - but I still found it intriguing and page-turning! Shannon and Kathryn create real, interesting, unique characters who pull you into their story and make you want to keep reading to find out what happens next. I heartily recommend this novel.

Sarah's Choice
Sarah's Choice
by Rebecca St James
Price: CDN$ 14.23
26 used & new from CDN$ 6.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Novel by Two Talented Writers, July 21 2014
This review is from: Sarah's Choice (Paperback)
I became a huge fan of Nancy Rue and Rebecca St. James when I read their first novel, The Merciful Scar, so I was very excited to get my hands on this novel. And I wasn't disappointed. Sarah's story grabbed me from the opening lines, even though I had a pretty good idea what the plot would be, and I wanted to get to know her better and find out what happened. Nancy and Rebecca have a gift with words and storytelling, drawing us into the life of someone so that we understand their problem and empathize with them and want them to find a happy ending. I really enjoyed this novel and I highly recommend it.

Hold Tight the Thread
Hold Tight the Thread
by Jane Kirkpatrick
Price: CDN$ 15.15
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Novel, June 11 2014
This review is from: Hold Tight the Thread (Paperback)
Jane Kirkpatrick is a writer whom I deeply admire for her ability to bring history alive. This series is one of my favourites, which I've read twice now and would like to read again. Jane writes with deep insight into the people and times, making Marie's story relevant and interesting to readers of today. I loved watching Marie grow and chance through the three books in this series. Hold Tight the Thread is beautiful and touching

Runaway Saint
Runaway Saint

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky Characters, Pressing Story, June 11 2014
This review is from: Runaway Saint (Kindle Edition)
From the opening sentence to the last one, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Lisa Samson has been one of my favourite authors since I read The Passion of Mary-Margaret, and her newest novel totally fulfilled my expectations. She writes about unique, quirky characters who are still real and interesting and people I'd like to meet. The story presented twists and turns that I didn't expect and when I turned the last page, I wanted to start reading it again, to go on the journey with Sara and Aunt Bell all over again. If you are looking for Christian fiction that reads like literary fiction - fiction that goes beyond the fluff and asks some honest, thought-provoking questions about faith and life while still presenting an interesting, page-turning story - then I recommend Lisa Samson's Runaway Saint.

Blades of Valor: Book Four in the Merlin's Immortals series
Blades of Valor: Book Four in the Merlin's Immortals series
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fast-paced Novel about the Druids and Immortals, May 12 2014
Blades of Valor is a fun book that takes readers back to the time of the Middle Ages or Dark Ages. Brouwer’s attention to historical detail was faultless, as usual, and brought England and the Holy Land alive for me, in all its dust and dirt and noise and smell. I appreciated the discussions among the characters about the importance of learning and knowledge (Thomas' books are extremely valuable) and the role of religion and the Church in daily life. I also enjoyed seeing Thomas and Katherine together for most of the book and finding out more about the Immortals and the Druids. Overall, this was a satisfying ending to the series and I really enjoyed it.

Let There Be Light: The Story of Creation Retold by Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Let There Be Light: The Story of Creation Retold by Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers CA
Price: CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Retelling of the Creation Story, March 27 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story with my daughters. Archbishop Desmond Tutu puts the creation story into easy-to-understand words that also evoke deeper thought. Nancy Tillman's illustrations invited study and reflection on the story, bringing alive the beauty of creation and the way in which each day added to the wonder that God was making. My daughters enjoyed looking at the picture. I also loved the way that Tutu and Tillman used creation to tell children "You are loved!" This was an excellent book and I recommend it.

To Know You
To Know You

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Story of Adoption and Forgiveness, Jan. 21 2014
This review is from: To Know You (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book because I knew the authors and have enjoyed their previous works. TO KNOW YOU was even better! The story drew me in from the first few pages and kept me wanting more. I was surprised by various twists and turns and the ending was completely unpredictable. Julia, Destiny and Chloe were interesting, real, characters whom I felt like I'd love to know in real life. This is a story about hurting women who find hope and forgiveness in their relationships and healing for the mistakes of their past. I highly recommend it!

The Merciful Scar
The Merciful Scar
by Rebecca St James
Price: CDN$ 12.99
36 used & new from CDN$ 4.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Inspiring Novel, Jan. 10 2014
This review is from: The Merciful Scar (Paperback)
BUY IT! I loved this book. Rebecca and Nancy are a GREAT team. This novel hooked me in with the first few pages and kept me wanting more right until the end (and I'm so glad there's another novel coming from them!). I identified with Kristen right away; I think everyone has experienced pain in some way and can understand Kristen's method of dealing with it. Even though this novel tackles some dark topics (suicide, cutting, etc), it was also very humourous. I highly recommend it.

Forever Friday: A Novel
Forever Friday: A Novel
by Timothy Lewis
Price: CDN$ 12.37
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Marriage Advice in a Novel, Sept. 27 2013
The idea of a husband writing his wife a postcard every Friday for sixty years intrigued me. I also thought it was neat to find a romance novel written by a male author. Forever Friday was a quick, easy read with fun, likeable characters and a little bit of marriage advice snuck into the story. I enjoyed the glimpse of America in the middle of the century and the little poems that started each chapter.

Gabe and Huck seem like two perfect people who have a perfect love story. I didn't see them struggling with adjusting to life together or dealing with ways that their careers might have pulled them away from each other, so in some ways their story didn't feel as real or relevant to modern life as it could have. Their faith is small but steady thread in the novel.

Overall, this was a good story with some thought-provoking ideas about making marriage last. I enjoyed reading it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7