Profile for Bonnie Way > Reviews

Content by Bonnie Way

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Bonnie Way (BC, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Blades of Valor: Book Four in the Merlin's Immortals series
Blades of Valor: Book Four in the Merlin's Immortals series
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fast-paced Novel about the Druids and Immortals, May 12 2014
Blades of Valor is a fun book that takes readers back to the time of the Middle Ages or Dark Ages. Brouwer’s attention to historical detail was faultless, as usual, and brought England and the Holy Land alive for me, in all its dust and dirt and noise and smell. I appreciated the discussions among the characters about the importance of learning and knowledge (Thomas' books are extremely valuable) and the role of religion and the Church in daily life. I also enjoyed seeing Thomas and Katherine together for most of the book and finding out more about the Immortals and the Druids. Overall, this was a satisfying ending to the series and I really enjoyed it.

Let There Be Light: The Story of Creation Retold by Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Let There Be Light: The Story of Creation Retold by Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers CA
Price: CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Retelling of the Creation Story, March 27 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story with my daughters. Archbishop Desmond Tutu puts the creation story into easy-to-understand words that also evoke deeper thought. Nancy Tillman's illustrations invited study and reflection on the story, bringing alive the beauty of creation and the way in which each day added to the wonder that God was making. My daughters enjoyed looking at the picture. I also loved the way that Tutu and Tillman used creation to tell children "You are loved!" This was an excellent book and I recommend it.

To Know You
To Know You
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Story of Adoption and Forgiveness, Jan. 21 2014
This review is from: To Know You (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book because I knew the authors and have enjoyed their previous works. TO KNOW YOU was even better! The story drew me in from the first few pages and kept me wanting more. I was surprised by various twists and turns and the ending was completely unpredictable. Julia, Destiny and Chloe were interesting, real, characters whom I felt like I'd love to know in real life. This is a story about hurting women who find hope and forgiveness in their relationships and healing for the mistakes of their past. I highly recommend it!

The Merciful Scar
The Merciful Scar
by Rebecca St. James
Price: CDN$ 14.57
35 used & new from CDN$ 2.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Inspiring Novel, Jan. 10 2014
This review is from: The Merciful Scar (Paperback)
BUY IT! I loved this book. Rebecca and Nancy are a GREAT team. This novel hooked me in with the first few pages and kept me wanting more right until the end (and I'm so glad there's another novel coming from them!). I identified with Kristen right away; I think everyone has experienced pain in some way and can understand Kristen's method of dealing with it. Even though this novel tackles some dark topics (suicide, cutting, etc), it was also very humourous. I highly recommend it.

Forever Friday: A Novel
Forever Friday: A Novel
by Timothy Lewis
Price: CDN$ 16.95
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Marriage Advice in a Novel, Sept. 27 2013
The idea of a husband writing his wife a postcard every Friday for sixty years intrigued me. I also thought it was neat to find a romance novel written by a male author. Forever Friday was a quick, easy read with fun, likeable characters and a little bit of marriage advice snuck into the story. I enjoyed the glimpse of America in the middle of the century and the little poems that started each chapter.

Gabe and Huck seem like two perfect people who have a perfect love story. I didn't see them struggling with adjusting to life together or dealing with ways that their careers might have pulled them away from each other, so in some ways their story didn't feel as real or relevant to modern life as it could have. Their faith is small but steady thread in the novel.

Overall, this was a good story with some thought-provoking ideas about making marriage last. I enjoyed reading it.

On Heaven and Earth: Pope Francis on Faith, Family, and the Church in the Twenty-First Century
by Jorge Mario Bergoglio
Price: CDN$ 15.68
41 used & new from CDN$ 10.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparison of Judaism and Catholicism by Pope Francis and Rabbi Skorka, Aug. 30 2013
I read this book to learn more about our current pope. While I did learn more about him (and grew in respect for him), I also learned more about my own faith and about Judaism. I found the discussion in the book between Pope Francis (then just Cardinal Bergoglio) and Rabbi Skorka as each of them discussed their traditions and religions and expressed respect for the other man's views. Bergoglio and Skorka show us how to have an open, honest, respectful dialogue about faith - and how we can learn from each other while doing so. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about Judaism, Catholicism, and inter-religious dialogue.

The Passionate Mom: Dare to Parent in Today's World
The Passionate Mom: Dare to Parent in Today's World
Price: CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nehemiah teaches Moms about Parenting, June 12 2013
I picked up this book because I found the idea fascinating - a study for moms based on an Old Testament prophet (and a guy who wasn't even a dad, much less a mom). Susan delves into Nehemiah's life in a way that brings it alive, applying lessons from his life to the life of a mom. I appreciated her insight and her honesty about her own struggles as a mom. Susan has five children (two adopted, three biological) so I trusted her insight as a mom. However, I found the chapters a bit long and repetitive at times. I did appreciate the extra resources Susan has posted on her website, including a short "cheat sheet" of the prayers and action items from the book. :) For moms who really like in-depth Bible studies, I recommend Susan's book. If you're looking for a short, quick read, then I suggest trying another book.

Offering, The: A Novel
Offering, The: A Novel
by Angela Hunt
Price: CDN$ 12.63
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Angela Hunt Tackles Controversial Issues in Fiction, May 22 2013
This review is from: Offering, The: A Novel (Paperback)
One of the reasons I love Angela Hunt's books is the way she fearlessly wades into tough or controversial issues. The Offering is no exception, as Angela explores invitro fertilization, infertility, adoption, surrogacy, sex-selective abortions, and more. Amanda is a likeable young woman, trying to raise her daughter and help supplement her husband's military income. We travel on the journey of surrogacy with her, as she learns about it, meets her intended parents, carries the baby, and then gives it up... and later learns that she might have given up her own son by accident. I loved the characters in this novel, from Amanda to her loving husband Gideon and his fun-filled Cuban family. Angela writes a page turning novel, as usual, that had me rooting for everyone involved and wanting the best solution - and she delivered. I thoroughly recommend this book.

Seven Brides For Seven Bachelors/Promise Box
Seven Brides For Seven Bachelors/Promise Box
by Tricia Goyer
Price: CDN$ 18.25
45 used & new from CDN$ 7.50

4.0 out of 5 stars The Promise Box by Tricia Goyer, May 22 2013
I'm not a huge fan of Amish fiction, but Tricia Goyer is one of my favourite authors so I decided to read this novel. I really enjoyed the way that Tricia brought alive a small community in Montana. I liked the way that Lydia struggles with her faith, choosing between the Amish faith of her childhood and the "English" lifestyle she's lived in Seattle. Gideon's work with Blue, a wild horse, and the analogies that came from that, drew me into the story. While I liked the characters and place, I found the plot a little bit cliched and felt like the story wrapped up too quickly. I am reading another book in the series, because it's fun to revisit a fictional place through the eyes of new characters.

One Glorious Ambition: The Compassionate Crusade of Dorothea Dix, a Novel
One Glorious Ambition: The Compassionate Crusade of Dorothea Dix, a Novel
by Jane Kirkpatrick
Price: CDN$ 17.99
33 used & new from CDN$ 1.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Historical Fiction, May 3 2013
Jane Kirkpatrick takes a deeply insightful look into the life of author, teacher and reformer Dorothea Dix. She traces Dorothea's story from her troubled childhood through her early teaching endeavors and into her glorious ambition: moral treatment for the mentally ill. With a perfect balance of fact and fiction to bring the past alive, Jane draws readers into the life of this compassionate, passionate woman and the cause that drew her to every State and even through England and Europe, investigating prisons, asylums, and hospitals and making recommendations for better care. An interview with Jane is included at the end of the novel, which provides more information about Dorothea and the choices Jane made in telling her story. This was a very readable novel from a talented historical fiction writer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7