Profile for Bonnie Way > Reviews

Content by Bonnie Way

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Bonnie Way (BC, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Passionate Mom: Dare to Parent in Today's World
The Passionate Mom: Dare to Parent in Today's World
Price: CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nehemiah teaches Moms about Parenting, June 12 2013
I picked up this book because I found the idea fascinating - a study for moms based on an Old Testament prophet (and a guy who wasn't even a dad, much less a mom). Susan delves into Nehemiah's life in a way that brings it alive, applying lessons from his life to the life of a mom. I appreciated her insight and her honesty about her own struggles as a mom. Susan has five children (two adopted, three biological) so I trusted her insight as a mom. However, I found the chapters a bit long and repetitive at times. I did appreciate the extra resources Susan has posted on her website, including a short "cheat sheet" of the prayers and action items from the book. :) For moms who really like in-depth Bible studies, I recommend Susan's book. If you're looking for a short, quick read, then I suggest trying another book.

The Offering: A Novel
The Offering: A Novel
by Angela Hunt
Price: CDN$ 12.26
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Angela Hunt Tackles Controversial Issues in Fiction, May 22 2013
This review is from: The Offering: A Novel (Paperback)
One of the reasons I love Angela Hunt's books is the way she fearlessly wades into tough or controversial issues. The Offering is no exception, as Angela explores invitro fertilization, infertility, adoption, surrogacy, sex-selective abortions, and more. Amanda is a likeable young woman, trying to raise her daughter and help supplement her husband's military income. We travel on the journey of surrogacy with her, as she learns about it, meets her intended parents, carries the baby, and then gives it up... and later learns that she might have given up her own son by accident. I loved the characters in this novel, from Amanda to her loving husband Gideon and his fun-filled Cuban family. Angela writes a page turning novel, as usual, that had me rooting for everyone involved and wanting the best solution - and she delivered. I thoroughly recommend this book.

Seven Brides For Seven Bachelors/Promise Box
Seven Brides For Seven Bachelors/Promise Box
by Tricia Goyer
Price: CDN$ 12.04
41 used & new from CDN$ 3.86

4.0 out of 5 stars The Promise Box by Tricia Goyer, May 22 2013
I'm not a huge fan of Amish fiction, but Tricia Goyer is one of my favourite authors so I decided to read this novel. I really enjoyed the way that Tricia brought alive a small community in Montana. I liked the way that Lydia struggles with her faith, choosing between the Amish faith of her childhood and the "English" lifestyle she's lived in Seattle. Gideon's work with Blue, a wild horse, and the analogies that came from that, drew me into the story. While I liked the characters and place, I found the plot a little bit cliched and felt like the story wrapped up too quickly. I am reading another book in the series, because it's fun to revisit a fictional place through the eyes of new characters.

One Glorious Ambition: The Compassionate Crusade of Dorothea Dix, a Novel
One Glorious Ambition: The Compassionate Crusade of Dorothea Dix, a Novel
by Jane Kirkpatrick
Price: CDN$ 12.99
35 used & new from CDN$ 6.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Historical Fiction, May 3 2013
Jane Kirkpatrick takes a deeply insightful look into the life of author, teacher and reformer Dorothea Dix. She traces Dorothea's story from her troubled childhood through her early teaching endeavors and into her glorious ambition: moral treatment for the mentally ill. With a perfect balance of fact and fiction to bring the past alive, Jane draws readers into the life of this compassionate, passionate woman and the cause that drew her to every State and even through England and Europe, investigating prisons, asylums, and hospitals and making recommendations for better care. An interview with Jane is included at the end of the novel, which provides more information about Dorothea and the choices Jane made in telling her story. This was a very readable novel from a talented historical fiction writer.

Take A Chance On Me
Take A Chance On Me
by Susan May Warren
Price: CDN$ 12.26
33 used & new from CDN$ 8.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Family Fiction, May 3 2013
This review is from: Take A Chance On Me (Paperback)
This was my first Susan May Warren novel and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Susan hooked me in the first few pages, drawing me into the characters' lives and struggles. I felt like I knew the ending of the story (of course the hero and heroine would find a way to get together by the end of the book), but the twists and turns of the story surprised me and kept me wanting more. Ivy, Darek, Claire, Jensen and the rest of the characters felt real and reacted in ways that made me groan - because I could see what they should have done - but also understand why they did what they did. Deep Haven came alive with Susan's descriptions and made me want to visit it. I can't wait for the next novels in the series, to return to Deep Haven and meet more people and visit with old friends from this novel. I heartily recommend Susan's books.

The Jerusalem Chronicles/When Jesus Wept
The Jerusalem Chronicles/When Jesus Wept
by Bodie T Thoene
Price: CDN$ 13.32
38 used & new from CDN$ 6.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to First-Century Jerusalem, April 12 2013
In When Jesus Wept, authors Brock and Bodie Thoene take readers back to first-century Jerusalem, to watch Jesus through the eyes of his friend Lazarus. Weaving a compelling story with impeccable historical and Biblical research, the Thoenes bring the people and places of Jesus' day alive for modern readers. I appreciated learning more about Jewish culture through Lazarus' story and explanations. I also thought that the Thoene's portrayal of Jesus was very respectful and accurate; in many places, they quoted directly from the Bible for Jesus' words, yet placed those words, sermons and stories within the context of the story. They thus gave me a new perspective on familiar Bible passages. This is the first book in the Jerusalem Chronicles series, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they take us with the next books in the series. Whether you are an old or new Thoene fan, I recommend picking up When Jesus Wept.

The Respect Dare: A Small Group Leader's Guide
The Respect Dare: A Small Group Leader's Guide
by Nina Roesner
Price: CDN$ 15.16
17 used & new from CDN$ 8.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Forty days to a better marriage, March 20 2013
With The Respect Dare, Nina writes a companion for The Love Dare that has already impacted so many marriages since the release of the movie Fireproof. Like The Love Dare, The Respect Dare is a forty-day challenge to improve your marriage - but it's written specifically for women seeking to better respect their husbands. Nina recognizes the different needs of men and women (women want love; men want respect) and gives women practical, concrete tips for respecting their husbands - and changing their marriages. Each chapter is short and includes a Scripture verse, meditation or story, and journal questions. I recommend this book to any woman seeking a deeper relationship with both her Creator and her husband.

Fortress of Mist: Book 2 in the Merlin's Immortals series
Fortress of Mist: Book 2 in the Merlin's Immortals series
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thomas of Magnus' Story Continues, March 8 2013
Fortress of Mist continues the story begun in The Orphan King. Thomas is now lord of Magnus, but faces new challenges to his leadership - and new questions about the Druids and the history of Magnus. This was another page-turning novel from Sigmund Brouwer. I loved the historical details woven throughout the story and wanted answers to Thomas' questions as badly as he did. If you are a fan of historical fiction or suspenseful novels, then I recommend Merlin's Immortals. Each book is a quick read, but you'll want to read them all - they move fast and build upon each other. I can't wait for Book 3. :)

Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska
Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska
by Tricia Goyer
11 used & new from CDN$ 5.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Love Story - Past and Present, Jan. 28 2013
I was super excited to read this book because I visited Glacier Bay on an Alaskan Cruise several years ago. Love Finds You in Glacier Bay was even better than I expected. Tricia and Ocieanna bring their exceptional research skills to the story to make both the place and the characters come alive. I loved the way that Ginny's story wove together with Ellie's story. I could identify with both Ginny and Ellie and wanted to find out more about each of them and how their stories ended. And I wanted to go back to Glacier Bay once again, for the authors make it sounds like such a lovely, interesting place to visit - or live. This truly is a love story - a story you will love to read.

The Orphan King: Book 1 in the Merlin's Immortals series
The Orphan King: Book 1 in the Merlin's Immortals series
by Sigmund Brouwer
Price: CDN$ 9.49
35 used & new from CDN$ 1.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Medieval Fiction, Jan. 28 2013
I flew through the pages of this book. I'm a long-time Sigmund Brouwer fan and read the Winds of Light series in my teens, so I was super excited to see Brouwer returning to that series and adding more details to it. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Thomas of Magnus again and following his adventures through Medieval England. Brouwer is a master at writing historical fiction, including just enough details of the times to bring them alive and yet including lots of suspense to keep the plot moving forward. I can't wait to read the next books in the series - because, of course, one book is not enough to tell Thomas' incredible story. Whether you are Brouwer fan like me or simply enjoy historical fiction, I'm sure you'll enjoy The Orphan King as much as I did.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7