Profile for MZ > Reviews

Content by MZ

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

MZ (Minnesota)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Main Street
Main Street
by Sinclair Lewis
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Excellent and Well Told Story of Carol Kennicott, June 4 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Main Street (Mass Market Paperback)
Carol is a girl with big dreams. When she marries Kennicott, she moves from the Twin Cities where she has supported herself, to rural life in Gopher Prairie, Minnesota, where it is her dream to transform the sleepy town into something better.
The ups and downs of Carrie Kennicott's life were felt by each member of our Family Book Club. Just when it seems things can't get any worse for Carrie, they can -- but sometimes they get better.
This book has been subject to a lot of literary criticism. Surely, the story can be studied in many ways at many levels. However, one does not need to have a master's in English in order to get a lot of enjoyment out of Main Street.
Set in the 1920s, Carrie's story -- her feelings, the changes she tries to make to Gopher Prairie, and all of the people she meets there -- could easily be told today with only minor changes. And, although this book is overall rather depressing in nature, there were quite a few places that it had me laughing out loud.
Main Street really captures the aura of small town America, especially middle Minnesota. The real life Gopher Prairie is Sauk Centre, Minnesota. It's an interesting place to visit, as the main street there has now been renamed Sinclair Lewis Boulevard.

Main Street (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Main Street (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Sinclair Lewis

DVD ~ Jeff Probst
Price: CDN$ 26.99
25 used & new from CDN$ 20.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Survivor on DVD at Last!, May 13 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Survivor: Season 1 (DVD)
I'm so happy that Survivor is on DVD. (After I saw that Big Brother is out on DVD, I thought Survivor has to come out soon!) The first season was my favorite, and I look forward to watching the episodes again. The extras are also fun.
Buyer should note, however, that the fifth disc that comes with the full season is the Most Outrageous Moments from season one that was previously offered on VHS.
Anyway, I know I'm not the only Survivor fan out who has been waiting to re-live the season that started it all.

Love Story
Love Story
by Erich Segal
Price: CDN$ 9.02
52 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Love Story Gets Five Stars, May 11 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Love Story (Mass Market Paperback)
If I really like a book, I will read it twice. But three times, four, five...just doesn't happen very often. I've read Love Story over and over, and it never loses that impression it made on me during my first reading.
You don't have to be as rich or as high-rolling as Oliver Barrett to understand what it means to love Jenny. Everyone has felt -- or has hoped to feel -- the way he does. That Segal was able to compress so much emotion into so few pages is the ultimate feat.
And every time I read Love Story, I find myself praying it will have a different ending, no matter what it says in those first few paragraphs.
This little book is so powerful. It is a good reminder of why we live and why we love.

One Hour Photo
One Hour Photo
VHS
2 used & new from CDN$ 14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Williams Shines as Poor, Lost Soul, May 10 2004
Ce commentaire est de: One Hour Photo (VHS Tape)
I never know what to expect of Robin Williams anymore. He skipped from Mrs. Doubtfire to Death to Smoochy in one bewildering leap. So I rented this movie based on its plot, and without any consideration for the cast.
I must say that Williams really shines in this movie as I have never seen him before. In Hook, What Dreams May Come, and Dead Poets Society, there was a hint of that dramatic core hidden beneath the childlike flippancy of the movies that are great hits with the younger set. But in this movie, Williams puts on a stellar performance, demanding that you feel something for him, about him, and possibly about yourself.
The best part of this film is that it is not a knife-and-dagger, grotesque, blood-all-over thriller, but the psychological kind -- the type that leaves you thinking about it afterward, and yet, feeling intense emotions for the poor soul Sy the Photo Guy. Every person has more than one dimension, even people who we might not consider normal. But what is normal, anyway? Everybody has a different defining line for that term. Watch this movie and decide where you think the normal line is crossed.
This movie is not suitable for the younger set, by the way. And, for the record, neither is Death to Smoochy.

Miss Spider's Wedding
Miss Spider's Wedding
by David Kirk
Price: CDN$ 15.99
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Adult Reader Gives Three Thumbs Up, May 10 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Miss Spider's Wedding (Hardcover)
This book MIGHT not be suitable for little kids. I would share it with my own, but each parent should read this book for him/herself first to make that decision, before sharing it with the little ones.
Even if you think the topic is a little too sensitive for your kids at this time, I recommend holding onto it until your little ones are ready -- or just buying a copy for yoursef. Because this book is excellent in all regards. It is well written, the plot is clear and funny, and the illustrations are...well, absolutely stunning. I picked this book up for myself. Once in a while, I will sit down, and literally put my fingers on the pictures. They are works of art. I like to read sections aloud, because the rhyming structure is so pleasing to the tongue.
There are very few children's books that still hold my attention. In fact, I would say that this book is a keeper for all ages. And when you decide your little one is old enough for the contents, I am sure he/she/they will delight in this superb book.

Three Men and a Baby
Three Men and a Baby
VHS
9 used & new from CDN$ 2.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Family Friendly Movie, May 10 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Three Men and a Baby (VHS Tape)
Ah, the Eighties. The soundtrack of this movie alone brings a nostalgic tear to my eye. Okay, this movie didn't blow us away with its depiction of bachelorhood, but it did make me laugh, and what more can a person really want in a movie? Steve Guttenberg, Tom Selleck, and Ted Danson are the Three Muskateers Plus Baby. By the way, when compared to its sequel, Three Men and a Little Lady, this movie DOES look like a masterpiece. Good movie -- one you can certainly enjoy with your own little ones, and Grandma and Grandpa.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive and sensible humor, May 6 2004
I do not profess to know what the intended message of this film was meant to be, nor do I care. I will tell you what the film illustrated for me- the feeling of being alone, despite (or perhaps because of) the nearby maddening crowd. And it is a funny film; not stupid slapstick comedy, but genuinely funny in a realistic way. Several scenes left me smiling about them for days.
Some viewers seem to have been surprised by the quality of Bill Murray's performance here. While I do agree he was very convincing, I was not particularly surprised. His character in this film actually seems to me as being similar to many of his other on-screen characters, only much more melancholy. I attribute this to his maturing age, and maturing talent.
And I will go ahead and heap on some more praise for Scarlett Johansson. She has a low-key way about her, which I think is rare for such a young actress. This kind of quiet dignity lends more credibility to her performances. That said, her physical resemblance to Jodie Sweetin is striking. When I first saw Ms. Johansson in The Horse Whisperer, I could have sworn it was Stephanie Tanner from Full House.
Given the opportunity, I would happily watch this film again. For me, that is the mark of quality and creativity. I rarely watch any movie a second time.

Very Best of Cher
Very Best of Cher
Price: CDN$ 16.06
31 used & new from CDN$ 10.43

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Cher, May 5 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Very Best of Cher (Audio CD)
Never the biggest Cher fan, I was stunned by the droves of people across the country clamoring to her Farewell Tour concert. I never had much interest, although I'm sure she put on a good show.
Then I saw this CD. Sure are a lot of hits on it, so I put it in the CD player and was whisked away.
Aha! That is why Cher's fans said farewell numerous times! It's all explained in a FANTASTIC best hits album with twenty-one (!!) songs on it.
From "Dark Lady" to her remake of the "Shoop Shoop Song" from Mermaids, there is not one song that didn't have me singing.
There it is. I'm a Cher fan now.
So I must whole-heartedly recommend this album to fans and not-yet-fans alike, because it is packed with her best stuff.
See you at the next Farewell concert...

Very Best Of
Very Best Of
Price: CDN$ 8.00
64 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Early for a "Best Of"..., May 5 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Maybe it's just me, but doesn't Sheryl Crow think she's got a few more hits left in her? I would be very sad if this is the best of everything she hopes to do ever. I mean, she hasn't really made THAT many albums yet.
Despite this criticism, this album is unflawed. Unlike her other albums, where I find myself skipping a song here and there, every song on this very FULL seventeen-song album is great.
In fact, I had been looking everywhere for the song "Picture." And here it is. Perfect. Worth it for that alone, but there is so much more here!
I dare anyone who listens to this album not to sing along.
Thank you, Ms. Crow.