Profile for Wayne M. Thomas, Author of Walden Today > Reviews

Content by Wayne M. Thoma...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Wayne M. Thomas, Author of Walden Today (Sudbury, MA USA)

Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism
Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism
by Ann Coulter
91 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Withstands the Most Biased Scrutiny, Nov. 6 2003
I brought the book to my brother-in-law who is a left-wing extreemist, one who sees a right-wing Christian behind every tree.
When he saw it, he became more agitated than I had ever seen him. He rattled off a list of inaccuracies, building up a furious head of steam.
"Have you read it?", I asked.
"No," he admitted.
Over the next day and a half, he read Ann's book.
He could not come up with a single unsubstantiated claim that Ann made. If fact, he admitted a few, "I didn't know this...before." Ann provided an analysis of 1990's releases of Soviet secret files he never knew existed. I could watch the wind luft out of his sails when he was confronted by undeniable facts and documented truth.
In the end, HE found no ground for claims he had about Ann and her book before reading Treason.
The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. Nice job, Ann.

Making Arbors & Trellises: 22 Practical & Decorative Projects for Your Garden
Making Arbors & Trellises: 22 Practical & Decorative Projects for Your Garden
by Marcianne Miller
17 used & new from CDN$ 2.48

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST I'VE SEEN, June 15 2003
We're always on the lookout for great ideas for our garden. We have high standards and live in an executive neighborhood, so we look for quality and distinctive projects. This book has great ideas with well drawn plans and instructions.
We built a gothic trellise this weekend. There's not another like it in town. It looks great. Fresh from this success, I'm headed to Home Depot to pick up wood for two other projects--a formal entryway and a simple lattice design to cover an electric meter. Thanks for the great work putting this unique book together.

Conquer the Crash - You Can Survive and Prosper in a Deflationary Depression
Conquer the Crash - You Can Survive and Prosper in a Deflationary Depression
by Robert R. Prechter
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Accuracy, Oct. 10 2002
What Prechter has been predicting is rolling out before our very eyes. This book provides the reasons Prechter believes that the crash of the 30's was a walk in the park compared to what we will live through. In particular, he examines an area that not one in 10,000 of us understands according to Prechter. That's the role of the Fed in creating the most enormous credit bubble in world history. The changes our Congress made in the 90's gave the Fed the power to create virtually unlimited credit expansion and to monetize the debt of agencies and organizations on recommendation of the President. All this is why nobody talks about "printing" money anymore. The Fed just issues check books now.
Prechter believes that our social mood determines the fate of our markets. Knowing that, one can watch this whole economic disaster unroll and understand why.
You will miss a valuable education and new insights into the world of economics that may save your skin, if you miss this book.

The Brainsmart Leader
The Brainsmart Leader
by Tony Buzan
Price: CDN$ 123.87
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Not much new or noteworthy, July 9 2002
This review is from: The Brainsmart Leader (Hardcover)
I found real value in Buzan's earlier, colorful book MindMapping, so I didn't need to plow that ground again here.
I've read much more useful information on developing one's brain. The information here seems simplistic, undeveloped, and hardly new. A good source for brain expanding techniques is Restak's Mozart's Brain and the Fighter Pilot.
I am disappointed that this book is so thin on content. It has only a few reference readings and they are almost all by Buzan. For the price, color would have been a nice addition especially for the mind maps which gain much more impact through its use. I hate to pan a book, and I'll pay any price for value. This was not a fair exchange of value for the price.

The Thinker's Toolkit: 14 Powerful Techniques for Problem Solving
The Thinker's Toolkit: 14 Powerful Techniques for Problem Solving
by Morgan D. Jones
Price: CDN$ 14.36
35 used & new from CDN$ 3.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Read, Nov. 24 2000
I have a half shelf of decision making books and have never found a better one than The Thinker's Toolkit. I've read it several times and keep seeing new applications each time. Not only does Jones teach his 14 techniques well, but he also asks you to complete valuable exercises on the way to underscore and remember what you have learned. I hope he publishes a follow on book.

Classic Garden Structures: 18 Elegant Projects to Enhance Your Garden
Classic Garden Structures: 18 Elegant Projects to Enhance Your Garden
by Jan Gertley
18 used & new from CDN$ 2.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisitely presented, distinctive designs, April 25 2000
We've just finished building our strawberry tower, an obelisk to grow 90 strawberry plants in a couple of square feet of space. We're beaming from the rave reviews of friends who find our project attractive and functional. The Gertley's do a superb job of presenting their unique projects with gorgeous pictures in attractive settings. I have a whole list of projects I intend to create--and I know that each one will be classy and distinctive. This is a book for people who like to build garden projects that they know they won't see any where else around the neighborhood.